New Neck for an Affinity Tele

Gord K.

Tele-Meister
I know this has been discussed many times but I have not been able to find a definitive answer. I have a BSB Squier Affinity Tele that just sits because I have a hard time with the narrow neck. Based on the CY04..... serial number it is a 2004 Crafted in China guitar. It is my understanding that newer Affinity Teles are more likely to accept replacement necks.

Without removing the existing neck, as far as I can tell the neck pocket is 0.6" deep and about 2.2" wide. The guitar body is approximately 1.625" thick. I THINK a replacement neck that I'm looking at from Solo Music Gear in Canada will fit but I would like to know if anyone has replaced the neck on this vintage of Affinity Tele.

At this stage of my life and guitar playing, it makes more sense to me to spend a few bucks to make this guitar playable than it does to sell it and buy something more to my tastes.

Thanks.

grzz51

TDPRI Member
While the neck will most likely fit the pocket OK, the mounting screw holes are usually off. I think Fender does this on purpose. A Warmoth neck with no holes would probably fit. I've gone down this road twice.

cooltouch

Tele-Meister
I've bought two Warmoth necks for Squiers so far -- an Affinity Tele and a Strat SE. Both necks fit perfectly and the screw holes aligned perfectly as well.

I don't know what year my Tele Affinity is -- I bought it as a "loaded" body (everything but the neck) about seven years ago. As I recall, it was new when I bought it. So, that vintage, at least, had an accurately cut Tele pocket and the screw holes were where they were supposed to be.

I'm a big fan of Warmoth necks, and I can highly recommend them. They're not cheap, but then you get what you pay for.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
From your measurements, It seems the neck pocket is about right for most necks.
I'm a big fan of the Warmoth '59 shape. Not thin, not humungous though, feels full, plenty of shoulder to be comfy on the hand. Single acting truss rod.
I bought a dandy WD Music neck off Ebay that just happened to be the specs I wanted also. Got lucky with it. $139. That was a couple years back though. WD has come a long way since years ago when I tried one.
002.JPG

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I would talk with the manufacturer of the neck. If they don't have a definitive answer or a good return policy, I would be surprised. You could trace a template of the pocket and send them that as well. Usually, you can "make" them fit anything, but there goes any warranty. If it was a newer body I wouldn't sweat it much, but an older CIC model could present a problem.

Gord K.

Tele-Meister
Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate the feedback. I have had positive experiences with Warmoth necks - I think I have three of them currently. For this project, however, the cost of the Warmoth neck, plus exchange rate to Cdn $, plus shipping makes the neck more than twice the price of the neck I'm looking at from a Canadian source. The least expensive Tele neck in stock is $177 US and if I go the custom-built route it comes out at $204 US.

The standard TL maple on maple neck I'm looking at is less than $100 Cdn and the short scale neck I'm considering, also maple on maple, is just over $100 Cdn. Plus it's 10% off if I order it this weekend! The heel dimensions, according to their web site, are 2.17" wide, 3.4" long and 0.83" thick to the bottom of the fingerboard. I think it's worth a try. Worst case, I put the original neck back on the guitar and it continues to sit unused until I can find a new home for it.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I actually wore out the neck on my Affinity. I replaced it with a Squier '51 neck, which fit perfectly and sold that loaded body for almost as much as I'd paid for the whole guitar.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
FWIW, I have a more recent Affinity body that took a MIM Fender neck with no issues at all. I would buy a MIM before I bought a warmoth unless I wanted some custom stuff like weird fret markers or a short scale. The 60s profile MIM necks are as close to perfection as I have found.

telecaster gray.jpg

Frozensoda

Tele-Meister
Guitar Center has the butterscotch Bullet Telecasters on sale right now for $150 US dollars. You could grab one of those and swap the neck with your Affinity, and have an extra loaded body to boot!

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
Have you checked out the Fender necks (MIM and USA) on stratosphereparts.com?

I've bought a good number of new Fender take-off necks (both MIM and USA) from them and they're ALL great necks. Already set-up with nut slots cut and all. Just bolt on, string up, and play. Never had a fitment problem, even with my Squier '69 Thinline.

If you find it doesn't fit your body, you can return to stratosphere.

From what I've heard, there is a fitment mis-match between Fender MIM & USA necks and Squier Modern Player necks - though that was a few years ago and things may have changed since then.

SuperflyPete

TDPRI Member
While the neck will most likely fit the pocket OK, the mounting screw holes are usually off. I think Fender does this on purpose. A Warmoth neck with no holes would probably fit. I've gone down this road twice.
I drilled, glued, and plugged the neck I got (Bubinga, SS Frets), lined it up and clamped it, and then re-drilled my neck. It ended up a bit wobbly because the neck pocket wasn’t 100% perfect, so I ended up making it a kinda-sorta set neck by drilling through the neck plate once it was centered, then I glued and doweled the neck and body.

SuperflyPete

TDPRI Member
Have you checked out the Fender necks (MIM and USA) on stratosphereparts.com? I've bought a good number of new Fender take-off necks (both MIM and USA) from them and they're great necks. Never had a fitment problem, even with my Squier '69 Thinline. If you find it doesn't fit your body, you can return.

From what I've heard, there is a mismatch between Fender MIM & USA necks and Squier Modern Player necks - though that was a few years ago and things may have changed since then.
Indonesians had this issue. The necks wobble.

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
FWIW, I have a more recent Affinity body that took a MIM Fender neck with no issues at all. I would buy a MIM before I bought a warmoth unless I wanted some custom stuff like weird fret markers or a short scale. The 60s profile MIM necks are as close to perfection as I have found.

View attachment 976453
Jumping back into this thread again -- may I ask where you got the MIM Fender neck? Ebay, Reverb, Craigs List, a local shop, etc.?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Jumping back into this thread again -- may I ask where you got the MIM Fender neck? Ebay, Reverb, Craigs List, a local shop, etc.?
Fender replacement necks are MIM... at least the $200-$225 versions are and quite nice. In today's world I'm not sure the price, or how many are out there, but before 2021 my local store had 2 or 3 available. I'd try the Stratosphere on Ebay or on line under "Fender replacement neck"

drmordo

Friend of Leo's

I generally look for used necks that are in very good shape.

So I look on ebay, reverb, and I watch the sales forum here. I also check stratosphereparts.com from time to time.

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Thanks to both of you, schmee and drmordo. I'd be interested in finding one with rolled edge fingerboard. I'll take a look at the sources you both mentioned.