Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Rosewood

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
image0 (11).jpeg

Upgrading my neck on Tele. Not sure to go the maple or rosewood route?

Probably vintage 80s... 4 bolt

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
My personal choice is Rosewood for Strats and Maple for Telecasters. However, I have both models that have the reverse as well. I think it is more of a "feel" thing, but both will work just fine.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I waited three years to buy a Silver Sky to try out. I was waiting for the maple fretboard option. I love it, and it was the right thing to do. I also have guitars and basses with rosewood and ebony boards. I like those, too. In fact, currently my SS is the only instrument I own with a maple board.

To me it depends on the individual guitar. I don’t know how, but they tell me what they need, and I don’t argue with them. Looking at that particular guitar, I’d probably go with a vintage tinted maple neck, fat 60’s C style, with a nice chocolatey rosewood board. But that’s just me.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
If I had a choice I would choose ebony every time now, I never owned one until fairly recently and I think it's perfect. Not really sure why it's not more popular.. cost, difficulty in working with, scarcity?

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
If I had a choice I would choose ebony every time now, I never owned one until fairly recently and I think it's perfect. Not really sure why it's not more popular.. cost, difficulty in working with, scarcity?

I think it's a cost thing. Isn't it somewhat protected as well?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I think it's a cost thing. Isn't it somewhat protected as well?

I don't actually know, somewhat maybe.... The reason I ended up with an ebony board is because my guitar was made during the 'rosewood cites' thing, so Ibanez switched to ebony on it.

..which makes me think it's not more expensive than rosewood, but I don't know.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Just curious, but what's wrong with the neck now that it needs to be upgraded? Is the truss rod wonky and not able to be adjusted? Are the frets worn down?
It’s Mexican version and needs fret and crown work ..was looking for a used older us made. And ya never felt right and I might be a neck snob

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think the number of and the selection of one piece maple necks vastly surpasses what you can find in rosewood, these days. Once upon a time, rosewood was sufficiently accessible - now it isn't (and a few nice anecdotes is not going to change that).

In 2005, I'd say, buy the neck with the right carve and fretwork, of whichever species of board wood. Today, I would say the choice has already been made for you and me. I've gotten over it - what else can a guy do?

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
BTW...I recommend Parklane Guitars if you are looking for an aftermarket builder. He's a former employee from a major aftermarket neck manufacturer and does exceptional work. I've posted my roasted maple neck he built for me in several threads on here. His prices are VERY reasonable too for what you get.

kuch

Tele-Holic
View attachment 1001154

Upgrading my neck on Tele. Not sure to go the maple or rosewood route?

Probably vintage 80s... 4 bolt

I thought I was a rosewood guy for a long time. Started out with a 63 jag but sold it in the 70's and didn't pick up any fenders for a long time. Had a couple of gibbys along the way and they are fine too. seems the fenders I wanted and got had maple boards. Of course most of the acoustics i've owned have had ebony boards. I picked up a Am Std Tele this year with a rosewood board, and it plays just like all my other guitars.
I guess my point is, if i were blindfolded and someone handed me random guitars, i wouldn't know the difference. would you?
If it's for looks, go with the one you like. if it's for feel and playability, IMHO it doesn't matter. at least it wouldn't matter to me.
Happy hunting.

pic of my "natural" ash tele with a rosewood board
20220331_123010.jpg