New Neck Day...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Coyoteaz, Oct 18, 2019.

1. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

As to Logo-----whatever, that is one great looking axe! I'd wait awhile before changing the bridge until just what you'll gain/lose, and exactly what bridge you would want to put on it. I might go with Rutters saddles, with the E/A aluminum or stainless.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not something I have real strong opinions about, but I'll weigh in on the logo issue.
    Three and a half years ago, I bought a Warmoth "Fender-licensed" neck for my FENDER Telecaster. I didn't think anything of putting a Fender decal on it. It was a Fender body and Fender licensed neck. No big deal, right?
    Flash forward to now.....I've considered the consequences of what happens when I'm gone, and someone else comes into ownership. Yes, it has the Warmoth logo burned into the heel, but who takes the neck off and checks? (we're not talking about a rare vintage Tele)
    I'm now building (assembling) another Tele-style.....GFS body, Warmoth neck (another Fender licensed), Bootstrap Pickups, Wilkinson bridge and tuners, etc.....a REAL mongrel. Since NOTHING is genuine Fender, I've decided to NOT use a Fender decal.....I'm gonna do something of my own. (I don't like a plain, un-named headstock) I'm not condemning those who use a Fender decal on a non-Fender guitar, but I've decided for the sake of full transparency and honesty, NOT to do it on my new one.

Chunkocaster and Coyoteaz like this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

That new mahogany Fender neck looks awesome!

BTW, Fender has been selling its necks (and bodies) as separate components for many years. They are just expanding the varieties most recently.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Agree... it's a beautiful neck of high quality, why fake it up with a bogus decal? The neck doesn't need to be a poser.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If given the choice between purchasing a neck from Fender at a premium or going aftermarket for a licensed neck that is affordable, well, we know where the majority will fall.

Great looking guit OP.

6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Does it matter where the majority will fall? Not at all.

If you want a Fender neck and can afford it, that's truly a great option. If you don't want to spend the extra money, aftermarket necks are excellent options, with great variety, too. There's really no right nor wrong here. Buy what you can afford if you like it, whether economy or premium.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Coyoteaz likes this.
  7. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

I never dreamed that decal would be an issue! I bought the neck used. Decal was already on it. The more I play this guitar the more I love that neck.

8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Great looking guitar!!! Love the color of the body, is it alder? With Seth Lover and Lindy Fralin it must be rockin blues monster. All around tastefully done. I'm betting that Deluxe is just begging to be turned up past 3 though. Congrats.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The decal is only an issue if you decide that it may be. Do as you wish to. Just be aware that the false branding is a potential issue.

It looks like an awesome neck you've got there! With customizing, you can create an instrument that sounds as good as and plays as nicely as a Custom Shop guitar, for a small fraction of the cost. I'm all in for tweaking and customizing guitars so that they suit your own personal desires! Changing out to pickups you prefer, different electronics, different bridges, swapping necks - it's all good!

Coyoteaz likes this.
  10. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

Fender started selling neck replacements back in the 90's and then they stopped doing it for a while. I remember seeing them on display at GC Hollywood.

They resumed again but there was a lull for a number of years of no replacement necks.

Then the cannibal parts business started, sellers buying whole new Fender guitars and parting them out on eBay. I'm sure we know who they are.

Also before Fender resumed selling necks, if you wanted to buy a neck from them you had to supply them your plate serial number before they would oblige.o_O

Now that does not appear to be an issue anymore.

But since these Fender replacement necks (the ones that are in the box) are MIM, and if you have a MIA body, it will be obvious that the new neck is a replacement. Not unless you get one of the parted out MIA necks. Yet a 1963 MIA body with a 21st century MIA neck, the serial stamps at the back of the neck is a giveaway that the neck and body didn't come from the factory at the same period of time. :twisted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of build of the MIM parts, as when Leo was at Fullerton, many of his top employees had Hispanic surnames. It's just what MIM factories are allowed to build vs the MIA factories.

[​IMG]
    The heel markings of the #993 MIA neck shown above.

Coyoteaz and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yes, I've probably bought 20 Fender-brand (MIA and MIM) necks from Stratosphere. And a fair number of stripped down Fender bodies (MIA and MIM). I'm a huge fan of what Stratosphere does. And I'm sure Fender couldn't care less... they wholesale a lot of guitars to Stratosphere and whether they are retailed fully assembled or unassembled - no big deal.

That's the only way I like to buy Teles these days, as you can custom assemble them EXACTLY as you want them to be.

All of my Fender USA bodies have Fender USA necks on them, even though they didn't come exactly that way from the factory originally. And, that's fine with me - I have better combinations in complete guitars than I could have bought assembled by someone on the assembly line at the factory, rather than assembled by me.

Some of my MIM bodies have USA necks also. Again, fine by me. In fact, I like my MIM necks as much, or more, than my USA necks. I love how they all came out. Awesome instruments!

Coyoteaz likes this.
  12. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

First of all....enjoy the neck! I have 2 Musikraft necks and a third on the way.
    Ignore the decal posts.
    If....if you decide the remove the decal...think twice. I've done it. The decal was on top of the lacquer, gentle rubbing with a microfiber cloth and pencil eraser didn't do much. Lighter Fluid didn't either. Fine grain sandpaper did, but you'll then have spots in the finish to repair.

So just sit back and enjoy the neck!

Coyoteaz likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I agree - enjoy the neck. No doubt it's a wonderful neck.

And trying to remove the decal may create a mess that you won't like.

The main thing is to at least have some awareness of the issues surrounding false-branding.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  14. speranza

speranza TDPRI Member

Edited because it looks like we're moving on from reopening the Logo Wars....

Beautiful guitar — I just ordered a Musikraft neck myself and am looking forward to seeing it in action....

Coyoteaz likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Many Musikraft necks are more valuable than the Fender necks they are imitating. In many cases putting a Fender logo on them decreases their apparent value. The stamping into the heel prevents them from being passed off as original Fender necks. Allparts necks are so close one could apply a headstock decal and serial number if they wanted to and it would be hard to pick as non original. If I owned a guitar and the headstock broke or it suffered other damage I would want to replace it with a neck that looked as close as possible to the original. I thought that was the whole point of having licenced replacement necks available for purchase.

I have no issues with people using whatever logo they want to create a guitar that looks exactly as how they would like it to look. Same goes with people who take Squier bodies and put Fender necks on them, I don't expect them to remove the Fender decals so the guitar isn't mistaken for a real Fender.

I'm just thankful that all of these options are available so assembling ones own version of their ideal guitar is possible.

16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Absolutely, Chunk, you picked me out!!! I have one of those! :) The neck is a 2014 Fender Baja '60s and the body is a Squier by Fender CV All-mahogany '69 Thinline. The neck was made by Fender, so I wouldn't even dream about removing the logo from the neck.

The Squier by Fender body is as true to spec, build quality, fit and finish as any MIA or MIM body. It was built under the Squier by Fender brand. All the small parts are Fender USA/MIM. And the pickups are boutique goodies. I completely re-did all the electronics. So, it's just a mongrel! I guess all of my guitars become mongrels by the time I've got them the way I want them. :lol: And damn fine mongrels, at that.

[​IMG]

Depending on how one defines "parts caster", all of my Fenders might be considered "parts casters", even though all the necks and bodies were made by Fender.

Even guitars coming off the assembly line in Fender plants could be considered as "parts casters" when you get right down to it.

"Custom" parts casters are often nicer than Fender models that came off the assembly line in Coronado or Ensenada. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  17. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

Love the 1 7/8" nut with the 12" radius. My stubby fingers need that little extra width. I've gotten as far making the templates for a Telecaster build. My plan is to go with those dimensions for the neck.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  18. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

Did production for Incubus a few times. Last time they were in, his guitar tech showed me Einziger's Teles. Along with his usual Fender, Mike had copies that were of different woods that were not the usual and real lightweight compared to his Fender.

I don't know who made them for him as his guitar tech was new to the job.

But they all had that "chime" to grab a cliche' and the mystery of the Tele keeps growing.

I like wide necks myself.

DHart and Coyoteaz like this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That looks great and I bet it plays and sounds great too. I don't know if its just the light but i really like the way the brown appears to be slightly darker around the edge and near that top strap pin.

DHart and Coyoteaz like this.
  20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

It is an awesome Tele. And I'm a BIG believer in creating one's own Teles and Strats. They were designed to be partscasters around 1949! And, you can make them better than the custom shop does - for a small fraction of the cost.

telestratosonic and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.