New Neck Day...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Coyoteaz, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

Picked up a musikraft neck off of Reverb today. Aged nitro laquer. Looks like quatersawn maple. Almost as big as my Baja neck. Radius feels like 10". Medium jumbos I think. The stock neck was too thin for me. Guitar started off as a mim standard. Put in a Seth Lovers humbucker and a Lindy Fralin Blues Deluxe custom. Sounds, plays, and feels damn near like a custom shop at this point! I'm fine with the bridge but wondering if I should upgrade that as well?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

Coyoteaz likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice looking neck, I had my eye on a Musikraft extreme flame roasted maple neck auction that ended today. I had my hopes up of scoring it but the price jacked right up overnight and it became unaffordable for my budget at the moment. Pity as it was a fat neck with nice frets too.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  4. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

Guitar building from swapped parts should be done in stages. How can you know what the guitar will sound like with new parts if you change all the parts at the SAME TIME?

If you do it one at a time, you will have at least, an idea of what the guitar sounds like so far. This will then help you choose, or not, the next item.

Everything must vibrate together. You're not putting a nitrous-injected blower on a V8.

[​IMG]

Musikraft makes nice parts. Would love to spend a day at their shop mating parts together just to get a body and neck that liked each other.

rangercaster and Coyoteaz like this.
  5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Nice looking neck, but why does it say Fender on the headstock?

6. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

I agree! I tried living with the neck for a while but I wasn't bonding with it. I liked the way it sounded but didn't like the way it played. Much happier now with the bigger neck!

7. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

Musikraft is licensed by Fender

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The license allows the shape of the headstock, not the logo. :rolleyes:

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Being a licenced replacement neck it would look pretty odd having something else written on there when fitted to your fender guitar. I don't think I've ever heard of Fender not allowing people to use whatever logo they want for their own private use.

I suspect that the reason Musikraft and Allparts necks have their logo's actually stamped into the heal is because Fender expect that people will likely use Fender logos on them.

bumnote, nojazzhere and Coyoteaz like this.
  10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Excellent looking work on the fret ends, and yes those do look like medium jumbo’s, nice polish on the frets as well.
    Overall that’s a very nice looking neck.
    Enjoy,

Coyoteaz likes this.
  11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

I have not the slightest problem with putting a Fender logo on a licensed neck. I'm currently putting a partscaster together with an Allparts neck and have put a Fender logo on it. I regard it as a tribute to Leo Fender's design skill. Putting an Allparts logo on it for example, would be worse - what did they contribute to the one piece maple neck concept?? Even worse would be putting my own logo on it.

Tim S, Coyoteaz and Telegnosis like this.
  12. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

I think you are missing the point made earlier in the thread. The Fender logotype is a licensed trademark which, from an intellectual property standpoint, is different from patented shape / design / know-how. Fender is unlikely to license its TM logo for various aftermarket necks as it contributes to trademark infringement - i.e. counterfeit products not produced by Fender. If they allowed this or simply did not take steps to prevent it, they stand to lose control and ownership of the trademark.

Why don’t you contact Fender and see if they approve? I doubt it as they are now in the business of selling necks with their trademark.

Meanwhile, if Allparts and other neck makers had trademarks as valuable as Fender’s, I’m sure they wouldn’t be hidden on the heel in the neck pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MonkeyJefferson, DHart and Coyoteaz like this.
  13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Guitar MD has it. This is my point. An Allparts or other neck with licensed Fender headstock shape is NOT a Fender neck. It was not made by nor sold by Fender. It is not a Fender product.

Putting a Fender logo on such a neck certainly would "look the part" but is a form of deception when you get right down to it, because the neck is not a "Fender" neck; it was not made by Fender.

Moreso... if the body was not made by Fender, and the neck wasn't either... then putting a Fender logo on the headstock is especially false. It may look like a Fender, but it's simply not a Fender.

Would I like to see an Allparts or WD Music logo on the headstock? Nope.

No logo is needed on such a headstock - it may be an exceptionally great neck, but it's not a Fender neck. Leave the headstock without logo is the best way to go. It doesn't "need" a logo.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  14. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

FWIW Fender is starting to build replacement roasted necks.

[​IMG]

I tend to agree with DHart, putting a logo on a non-Fender neck, would be seen as duplicitous however unwitting, in general.

Conversely, a real Fender neck without a logo is, if not customized-relic'ed, a degradation.

That said, the world of custom body parts are for those that are after play-ability.

Exception to the golden rule, was Ronnie Montrose's paisley "Tele."

He had Fender custom build it using a Warmoth neck!!!

And Fender placed an Esquire logo on it per Ronnie's request.
    [​IMG]
    1 7/8" nut with a 12" radius board.

[​IMG]
    Fender built the alder body. The paisley work was a special approach, after years of getting it wrong, Fender made a more sturdy non-fading treatment.

And Ronnie had his own serial number placed by Fender.
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Douglas Montrose and 1014 meant "no man's land" to Ronnie.

Take me to the bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Yes, as mentioned, Fender is in the logo’d neckb usiness, making this even more egregious from the manuf standpoint.

Even the Montrose paisley Tele with its Warmoth component was produced by Fender Custom Shop and thus earned a logo (over a nice matching paisley headstock) as a finished product.

Rather than deceptive practices, I tend to lean the opposite way in terms of either generating curiosity (what kind of neck is that on your guitar, what does that mini toggle switch do, what kind of pickups are those?) or differentiating my partscaster build from the Fender off shelf offerings. It’s about playability and personalization, which Fender grew to recognize as a growing and lucractive market and sought to replicate at their Custom Shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coyoteaz likes this.
  16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Sweet, congratulations .

Coyoteaz likes this.
  17. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks like a very nice guitar. Not sure I see a need to upgrade the bridge.Your call.

Since you knowingly bought it as a Musikraft neck. You didn't add the Fender logo. We assume.

The problem I see. If you sell the guitar down the line. Not saying you'd do it. But, would someone try to sell it as a Fender to some unsuspecting buyer?

Change a few key parts and it would appear more Fender than it does now.

I'm sure with the Montrose guitar if Warmoth had a problem with Fender using their logo. We would have heard about it long before now.

It was a neck licensed by Fender and a guitar assembled by Fender.

There's a lot of unscrupulous people out there that would dupe unsuspecting buyers without hesitation.

Ask Fender what they think about people like Kelton Swade.

Coyoteaz and nojazzhere like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.

First thing I would do is, remove that bogus decal. Make the neck honest - it has no need to hide behind a falsity.

Coyoteaz and DHart like this.
  19. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

mahog.jpg

As seen in the above ad, Fender is getting on the bandwagon that the aftermarket parts builders started.

Bet the mahogany neck has an interesting tone.

Crobbins and Coyoteaz like this.
  20. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Oh crap, here we go........again and again and again.

Nice looking neck. No need to change the bridge. It will be fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.