New Neck Day!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Steve Holt, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Not actually today, but today is the day that I can say I got nut slots cut correctly, installed the string tree, and set it up. This thing is DONE. For now at least.

This is my second build out of 8, and I gotta say I never thought I'd make that many. But I have no plans to stop. Some history before the pictures, but feel free to scroll ahead all the same.

So like I said this was my second build back in 2016. My first build I did a body and a neck, but the neck was just kind of meh. Couldn't put my finger on why, so I decided not to try again. So I went to an online neck manufacturer who will remain nameless here. I got a really nice rosewood neck and when I put it together I had all kinds of problems getting the string heights set. The company took the neck back and said it was defective and sent me a new one. That one was much better but it was just never quite right for me. Don't get me wrong, great neck, but not for me.

After that I went on to build a few more guitars making my own neck for each one, getting better and better each time. So it just wasn't quite sitting right that I had a guitar I made, with a neck I didn't. So in summary, I made a neck.

Here's some before pictures.

Here's the original neck with the original decal.

20161023_133750.jpg 20161023_141957.jpg

I originally went with a decal and wasn't sure how to make that work on rosewood so I did a clear Nitro on just the face of the headstock. So it had an odd look that I wasn't too fond of.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. Steve Holt

Next came the replacement neck. Nothing too special there. I had the same artist that did the artwork on the body just freestyle the headstock to avoid the lacquer and decal fiasco. I can paint a guitar, but I'm nowhere near talented enough to do the Hendrix artwork.

20200608_182150.jpg 20200608_182205.jpg

It's a very dark rich rosewood. Very nice. I think my main problem is the profile of the back. I like a soft V. Lately I've been drifting toward baseball bat thick, but the shape on this one is like a modern C I think.

3. Steve Holt

Now for the new neck! I gotta say I think the traditional maple/rosewood looks better and completes the guitar paying tribute to the original. The headstock is just a little wider. It's actually a jazzmaster profile.

20200924_213500.jpg 20200924_213512.jpg 20200924_192746.jpg 20200924_213536.jpg

guitarbuilder likes this.
  4. Steve Holt

If you're wondering about the giant hole for the truss rod access, I ordered the wrong kind of truss rod. Instead of having an Allen wrench that slips inside, it's more of a socket that has to go all around the peg. So I had to accommodate for all that extra space to get the adjustment tool in there. Doesn't bother me, but it is kind of obnoxious.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.