1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New music that gives you hope for music

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I've watched/listened to this like five times. What a great song! Haven't heard something this cool in a while!

JBFatFingers likes this.
  2. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

I saw them live in Detroit this summer and they were fantastic.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I like to think there's always hope for music - humans? there's the rub...there's the recycling of old tropes, but pushing it forward somehow - we like to hear the familiar, but nobody knows where the whole thing is going anyway.

Sturgill Simpson, as noted above...

Robert Ellis:

twenty one pilots

Esperanza Spalding (yep, pun intended...)

Ordinary Elephant (conspicuous disclaimer - they are friends. I used to worry that clawhammer banjo might perish, like a vanishing language, but after hearing Molly Tuttle and Pete, it's probably ok for now...

Rustbucket and BorderRadio like this.
  4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Everything on the Daptone label

BorderRadio and JBFatFingers like this.
  5. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Not a huge fan of this but his voice has a certain Freddie Mercury quality to it.

6. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Yeah, his voice is a major draw for their overall sound. Absolutely love the guitars, too.

7. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I'll add one to the list: Jamestown Revival

8. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

+1 For St Paul and the Broken Bones. The Honky Tonk/Rockabilly band I play with were doing our, at the time,regular Sunday night gig at a local multi-room venue. But one Sunday, in early March we had ice then snow, then more ice. We were the only bar open in town. Out of a 5 piece band only 3 were able to make it in, the bass player the singer/guitarist and myself on pedal steel. We did a set for the bartender and maybe one other person. On our break we went upstairs to check out the band that was playing there In a 100 person capacity room (that was sold out) we and 50 other people were BLOWN AWAY by St. Paul and the Broken Bones. When they finished their show they came down and a few of the guys sat in. on our last break we all talked. What a good band and what nice people they are!!!

JBFatFingers likes this.
  9. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lera Lynn is probably too dreamy for most of the TDPRI crowd, but she's one bundle of fresh sound in my book. Her guitar player/producer plays a wicked Thinline on the new album. This is an older tune:

BorderRadio, Serenity23 and cnlbb like this.
  10. scrapyardblue

And I want one of those Guild Starfire's too.

11. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Yeah on Lera Lynn, she's killing it these days. Missed her in town a few weeks back and kicked myself. Sometimes I miss a good name on the crowded calendar down here.

I wouldn't worry too much. I tried counting the number of people I know who primarily play clawhammer banjo and stopped around 15 with plenty more in mind. As was noted earlier in this thread, roots/americana etc... are coming back.

Here's a little frank fairfield for y'all on that line.

JayFreddy and Silent Otto like this.
  12. scrapyardblue

Back at ya, cnlbb, on the Fairfield. I didn't know they had video recording back in those days.

cnlbb likes this.
  13. walpow

walpow Tele-Meister

The Record Company:

Matt G, teletimetx and SolidSteak like this.
  14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

There's some really great stuff in this thread. I've only listened to about a third of it so far, too. Love the one-mic recording sound of Ordinary Elephant...I hope to do a recording that way someday. Love the groove on the Record Company tune. And how in the hell does Esperanza Spalding play that bassline and sing that vocal line over it? That is really something. Lots to check out in greater detail.

This clip is from a few years back and I think the band has since parted ways...but it's one of the newer things I liked enough to buy the album. T-Bird and the Breaks, doing a pretty raw live version of their tune "Monkey in a Tree:"

Colors and teletimetx like this.
  15. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

16. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't say Freddie Mercury. Problem is that I've heard someone like that before, but can't place my finger on the name.

But yeah, the minute I heard him sing he had *real* presence. A natural.

17. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Probably not "new", but a supergroup of sorts: KXM. Doug Pinnick, George Lynch. and Ray Luzier.

When Lynch left Dokken, he formed Lynch Mob - probably one of the better hard rock bands that got steamrolled by the Grunge phase. Too bad too, because there was some GREAT songs on those two initial albums. KXM takes those Lynch Mob albums and adds that unique groove and twist that you could only find from King's X:

I saw a video of George soloing at the Dokken reunion in Japan. Holy crap has this guy gotten better with age!

Neil Morse from Spocks Beard went solo (Christian music). He's sorta formed a new band (kinda) and their latest album is *really* good:

I'm kinda diggin' Twelve Foot Ninja these days. Sorta hit and miss for me, but really enjoying the "hits".

18. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

19. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

20. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much every new thing from Bill Frisell. It reminds me that higher, faster, louder, more complicated-sounding, etc, etc, etc... isn't the only thing music can be about. Bill's approach with every new recording reaffirms that music with space, heart, nuance, texture, introspection, delicacy, etc, etc, etc... are not an extinct commodity, and worth seeking out and even treasuring.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.