New monitors are making me re-think my mixes.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
TL;DR: Buy some headphones. You'll get 2 to 5 times the sonic accuracy compared to speakers dollar for dollar. And no worries about the decay times of the room.

Agree. They don't have to be expensive, either. I would try to avoid anything with massive peaks, but the more neutral headphones don't have to be massively expensive just to get a little more detail.

I also use my car. This is in part because it has a system that has the "one note bass response" where anything below a certain frequency just results in the same physical thump at varying intensity. At first, I found that distracting, but now I like it, because when I'm switching between speakers, I can first tell when I've got enough low end in a real-world system, and then try to sculpt at home. This is amateur hour, BTW - I can't use a sub at home (neighbors) so I must improvise. Perhaps I should name it. Maybe "Civic Sound" or "Rush Hour Audio" or, since my 40mg Honda is a bright color, "I Don't Want to Race Your Subaru Studios."

standup

Tele-Meister
An engineer who mixed a recent EP I worked on listened at REALLY low volume part of the time. He’s a pro, and I took that as a good practice to take for myself. Helps you get the balances right.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
An engineer who mixed a recent EP I worked on listened at REALLY low volume part of the time. He’s a pro, and I took that as a good practice to take for myself. Helps you get the balances right.
And also occasionally check in 'mono' to make sure some stuff just doesn't completely disappear.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
My stuff sounds hugely different on every system/device I hear it on. Whole instruments disappear/appear.

I suppose it's the same for all music, but I only really listen for it on my own stuff.

Having said that, my stuff always sounds AWESOME. Because I'm a GENIUS. A GENIUS, I TELL YOU.

No, really.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
Very, very few people listen in treated rooms, so no matter how good your speakers are everyone hears dips and peaks. (No one's going to Dippy Studios, but remember Peak Recording is just as bad) Obviously, you have the best chance at sounding good if you mix in a flat room. hemingway described very well what your dip matching their dip sounds like.

Turning everything down until you only hear the peaks is a clever trick.

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Something I test all my mixes on is a smallish bluetooth speaker. I prefer the UE brand over most others because they don't overhype the low end. I also have a bunch of clothes hung up around the desk. Rugs on the floor, book cases (with books), window coverings, etc. Is it Electric Lady Land? Of course not. Does it look good? No. Does it work? Absolutely.
Howdy Ken....
You and I have discussed this process over the years.
For mixing.....my process has always been to monitor/mix at very low volumes.
I do this on my Tascam S1010m's which I've had since the mid 80's.
I agree with the sound deadening comment also.
I don't like a live room for recording or mixing so just diffusing any reflections (as noted above) works for me.

One of the big challenges is to get the bass to sit right in the mix.
When I'm mixing at this very low volume?
If I can barely hear the bass I'll run with that as a 1st mix.
On same near fields I'll up the volume a bit and see if I'm happy with where the bass sits.
Then I'll fire up the Rockit 8's and listen at a moderate volume to see if the bass is where I want it to be.
Rinse & repeat until you're happy.
That's how we get to know our monitors, where to compensate for volume and EQ settings and how the mix may translate to other systems..
Which, I will add, doesn't happen over night. :)

That's my take....back to it.
Have a great day.