1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Models from Martin - Nut Width

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by black_doug, Dec 14, 2018.

1. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was browsing new models at Martin online. All of the ones I looked at have a nut width of 1 3/4 ".

Is this their standard now? Whatever happened to 1 11/16? I'm glad I bought my M-21 when I did.

Now I'm not pretending to be an authority on Martin guitars and I know lots of folks like a 1 3/4 nut but can we not have some of both?

Random1643 likes this.
  2. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Pretty sure at least the "standard" models are all 1 3/4 now with the performance taper. I bought a used 2016 d18 this year and it has the 1 3/4 nut too. I must admit I'd prefer it had the old 1 11/16 nut if anything just to be more consistent with all my other guitars. It is however an impressive sounding and looking instrument and I'm more than happy with it quality and tone wise. The nut width feels good to me but I don't like how different it feels from all the other guitars I own. I'm trying (and mostly succeeding) to embrace the 1 3/4...

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I’m sorry to sound so excited, but YAY I might be able to own a Martin :) I’m a 1 3/4” guy.

I apologize profusely !

DrPepper, P Thought and rjtwangs like this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I have Martins with both nut widths and don't find it hard to adapt to either. If I had to choose I'd go with 1-3/4, to me it gives my fingers room to not be touching another string at the same time I'm fretting the one I should.

I think it may have started with the authentic series and has gained in popularity, driving Martin to move in that direction for their standard lines. People who want new guitars similar to the golden era up to 1939 when they changed to 1-11/16 are happy to see the change. Hide glue construction, full width saddles (versus drop in), Adirondak spruce tops, open tuners and other vintage appointments are now offered too. They will even bake a top (torrified) if you want to get that old sound out of a new guitar

Although they may be used, there are a lot more Martins available at 1-11/16 than 1-3/4. As an example D-18's up to 2012 are 1-11/16.

5. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I just got a 1 3/4 Warmoth neck for my Strat, love it.

P Thought likes this.
  6. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

I love the 1 3/4" width - and even gave up on an otherwise great little 00015-CE all mahogany Martin cause the fretboard @ 1 11/16" was too narrow for me. That said, I'm a total advocate for Nut Width Diversity (NWD). Things like string spacing, board radius, etc may also play into the feel.

P Thought, Nickadermis and GTG_Gopher like this.
  7. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

You can, of course, special order any nut width you want.

DrPepper likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

As far as I can tell, one person's 1-3/4 is another person's generous 1-11/16". the nut width on the Eric Clapton model 000 seems wider than the other guitars, and they're all on paper 1-3/4. My modern 000-28 doesn't seem to be any wider or narrower than my vintage D-35. My point is that the ad copy spec differs from the actual dimension once sanded and finished and even then there's going to be a difference in the feel or playability (there's enough leeway in where they cut the nut slots to make a big difference on a particular instrument). Taylor has been advertising 1-3/4 for awhile and they're often indistinguishable from what Martin called out as 1-11/16ths.

Don't get me wrong, if you are talking about an actual change from 1-11/16 to 1-3/4, yes you can feel a difference - particularly if you have wider spacing at the saddle to go along with it.

10. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

My dreadnought (built from a Stew-Mac kit) has a 1 13/16" nut, and it's perfect for me. I also play classical (nylon string) guitars, so it seems to fit better with my playing style (thumb behind the center of the neck).

11. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hmmm. It appears that Martin is making satisfied customers of most of us.

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Martin’s neck is 1-7/8” with bar frets.

1928 0-28K.

And very, very playable.

popthree, DrPepper, P Thought and 2 others like this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's amazing to me that a sixteenth of an inch can make so much difference, but I feel it, too. All my guitars except one have 1 3/4" necks, and that one doesn't get played much, or for very long.

black_doug and Nickadermis like this.
  14. LAGinz

LAGinz Tele-Meister

Yeah, I’m not crazy about the 1 3/4 Martin nut spec, especially in conjunction with the 16” radius neck. It’s a pity because I like the low oval profiles, but can’t really get on with the other two specs.

15. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

There's about 35 new models with a 1 11/16" nut width in almost every price range. There's also the custom shop, worth the wait IMHO. Why are you complaining? Follow this link for a list of said new models: https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/

16. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

when i bought my my Martin a few years ago, I thought the 1 11/16 width felt fine.. and it does, generally... but i recently picked up a cheap recording king that has a much wider 1 13/16 width and a neck that is pretty much a Louisville Slugger and i have really bonded with it.. so much so that i'd like to swap my Martin (which sounds amazing) for another with a wider nut. :) i guess many of us guitar players are often satisfied for long.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.