New mod for the FD2...interesting, thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by revelator, Sep 7, 2011.

1. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

kind of a cool idea...looks like the boost is AFTER the drive so it's more of a volume boost...not 100% sure how I like this idea as I really liked the "more" function of the boost but personally just found it too muddy on my old FD2.

What do you guys think?

2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I think if Fuller made is a "FD2 Boost version" it'd be a big seller. Most people is read do NOT use the boost fuction. I have been wanting a single-space, NON-boost, FD2 for awhile now. 11gauge even offered to build me one... both would be big seller for Fuller, imo.

Fuller could retire on just a line of Fulldrives:

Fulldrive Retro (pre-mosfet fatter voicing)
    Fulldrive Uno (no boost function)
    Fulldrive Boost (as above)

3. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

AGREED!!!

4. JoshuaCLS

JoshuaCLS Tele-Afflicted

I can't watch the video right now. In this mod does the boost operate independent from the od?

5. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

yup...JHS replaces the "boost" function with there boost pedal so you can use it TOTALLY independently from the OD. It also seems to me that they put it AFTER the OD so it's more of a solo boost then a gain boost

6. JoshuaCLS

JoshuaCLS Tele-Afflicted

This would be epic.

7. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

I just talked to Josh (the owner) & he said for $35 more (for a grand total of $110 for the whole mod) they can add a toggle that will switch the order so you can put the boost before or after the OD...THAT would be epic!

too bad I don't have my FD2 anymore or this might be tempting

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Those first two are really excellent names, too!

He's probably thought of doing some of those things, but then you end up with a muddled line of pedals, where some are redundant. For instance, the Retro would probably end up competing with some sales of the RTO or something, and a FD Boost could confuse potential customers who are looking at the Fat Boost.

IMO, the FD (as a whole) is a bit of a "played out" concept, with all of the modes and switches in a single box. Lots of guitarists seem to predict that they will end up using all of that stuff, but the vast majority that I know of do not. So yeah, the "core concept" of the FD is a solid one, but for the 21st century it would probably be better to strip it down, and get the footprint to a reasonable size, too.

I'm not implying to strip it down too aggressively - lots of guitarists do like having dirt/boost in the same box.

...There are now compact pedals that have a pair of footswitches on them for dirt and boost. BYOC even makes one.

If Fuller could do with the FD2 what he did with the OCD (killer sounds and flexibility in a small enclosure), it would almost be like having the pedal reborn.

The FD2 can be modded to add a whole lot of things to it, because the enclosure is so friggin' big. You could add a fuzz circuit and maybe even trem in there, if you wanted.

9. ruger9

:lol:

10. JoshuaCLS

JoshuaCLS Tele-Afflicted

11 gauge, if I was thinking of modding one out with an independent clean boost, what all would that require? I assume just bypassing the existing boost circuit that's In there, then using the existing switch for an entirely different circuit. To be run after the drive section? and wiring up the knob to control the gain of said clean boost?

I can't imagine this would be THAT hard to pull off...

What clean boost circuit would you recommend for a newb at building/modding like me?

11. johnnyp79

johnnyp79 TDPRI Member

This actually isn't true. They will not do it, because there isn't enough room in the case. It may have been said at one time, but they will not do this part of the mod. The boost is on the output also.

12. Mike7300

Mike7300 TDPRI Member

Is there a sound difference between the MOSFET and one that is not MOSFET?
    I bought mine about 8 or so years ago. It just says "by Fulltone" instead of "MOSFET" under where it says Fulldrive 2.

13. ruger9

yes. the "mosfet" mode aside, the older pre-mosfet ones are fatter/muddier (depending on who you ask) and the mosfet ones (even when NOT in mosfet mode) are clearer/brighter (depending on who you ask).

The only exception are the 10th anniversary ones, metallic red, that have creme boards inside... not the 10th anniv. with the green PCB inside. The creme boards are voiced like the pre-mosfet ones, with mosfet mode added. The green PCB ones are voiced like the new mosfet ones.

I owned all the versions simultaneously and was able to do lengthy comparisons.

I find the difference significant enough that the pre-mosfet FD2s are my favorite ODs of all-time, where I won't even use a mosfet version. At least with my current rig.

14. Mike7300

Mike7300 TDPRI Member

Interesting, do you tend to use the boost at all?

15. ruger9

Almost never. Little enough that if Fulltone released a no-boost version, I'd replace my fd2 with it. (IF it was voiced like the pre-mosfet ones, which I'm sure it wouldn't be.)

16. Codyh630

Codyh630 Tele-Meister

I actually prefer the stock FDII because I don't like boosting my volume a whole lot when adding more gain. All of my drives are set to be pretty close to the same volume as my clean tone.
    On a similar note, I have a pre-mosfet FDII FM version. It's the one with white knobs and no toggle switch. It has the comp-cut and FM modes (I only use the FM mode). Does anybody know how common it is in comparison to the other versions and if it's more valuable at all? Not that I would ever sell it, but I'm just curious.

17. Mike7300

Mike7300 TDPRI Member

So what settings do you change if your playing rhythm in a song, but then need to do a solo in the middle of the song?

Do you just turn up the volume for the solo, or use a different pedal?

18. ruger9

It really depends on the song, the rhythm tone used (for example, is it the guitar turned down, or full up) and the solo tone needed (for example, does the rhythm TURN INTO the solo, in which case no volume boost is needed, or does simply turning the guitar up accomplish what I need?)

However- on the subject of volume boosting for solos, your best bet is to put a clean boost after your overdrive, some people even put it in their fx loop on their amp. But keep in mind- if the preamp control on your amp is already cranked, you won't get much more volume out of the amp regardless of what you do. Once the preamp circuit get to a certain saturation point, it can't really put out any more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.