1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

new mic day (ribbon)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by matman14, Jan 25, 2021.

1. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Picked up a Royer R10 for my little demo studio to pair with the SM57.
    The studio where we record uses a R121 and SM57 combination so wanted to be able to get similar sounds. It even comes with a dual mount to make using 2 mics easy!
    Nice little carry case and bag to protect the mic. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces.
    [​IMG]

Mouth, Jakedog, studio and 3 others like this.
  2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Are you gonna use it strictly for guitar?
    Or is it going to be a mic of many hats?

matman14 likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. I have a cheap ribbon mic, the sE X1R. I have only used it on acoustic thus far but I'm going to use it on my amp soon.

matman14 likes this.
  4. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Mostly guitar cabs. I have a nice tube condenser for vox and acoustic, plus a nice SDC and a smattering of SM57/58.
    Maybe I'll try some mid/side with the ribbon and SDC, who knows.

Mostly only do live vox and guitars here for demo/ideas. Bass goes DI and use Edrums.
    For final recordings, the band use a full studio with nicer gear and better spaces, and they can handle drums.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    studio and klasaine like this.
  5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Congrats!!! I've had my eye on one of those for a while. When I was listening to the demos what struck me about that mic was that it, by itself, was voiced to sound like the combo of the R121 and the SM57, a combo I use on guitar amps. In fact, I think I remember Royer speaking of having voiced it that way intentionally. If you can, try comparing this mic against that combo.

Bob

matman14 likes this.
  6. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

The back of the mic is voiced with a more pronounced high-end than the front, which is not dissimilar to R121. The triple layer wind screen prevents as much proximity effect. Its the same transducer and ribbon as the R121.

I've heard that with either the 121 or R10 you can get more bite from the back side of the mic if you don't have an SM57 handy but I don't think the R10 is trying to give the sound of the two mics combined.

From what I have heard in pre purchase recordings is the R10 has a slightly less smooth top end, a little less low end, and needs more gain but very much the Royer flavor.

I can't really give you a fair comparison in any case because at the studio they use either a cranked JCM 800 or Silver Jubilee 2555, or very occasionally an Orange something or other, into a 4 x 10 with a 121 and a 57 on separate speakers. Here they'll be using my cranked PRRI or 5F1 with both mics on the same speaker. Also the studio is using API preamps and I am using 1073 clones.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    klasaine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.