1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New member with parts build questions

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Findthetone, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Findthetone

Findthetone NEW MEMBER!

Hey folks, new guy here. Haven't been much of a Tele person over the years but find myself wanting one now. I have had a Tommy era never mounted all maple USAG Strat neck laying around for years so it's at the luthier for a closeish Tele headstock reshape and stainless refret for a parts build. My two questions:
    1: For those that have mounted a strat neck in a tele neck pocket did you notice any negatives (less sustain, poor tone etc)
    2: Where the best bang for the buck to buy a good quality ash body?

I know Warmoth is a very good builder and I can get a tele body with a strat neck pocket made, but if there is a place for a better deal even with the mismatched neck pocket I might be interested. Wanting to keep things reasonable.
    Thanks!

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A Strat neck fits a Tele body fine; it just doesn't perfectly match the contour of the neck pocket alongside the neck pickup. But if the neck has the little fretboard overhang, it hides that. A properly-cut pickguard will hide that little gap too.

It does not affect the sound of the guitar.

Allparts, Musicraft, B. Hefner, and others besides Warmoth make and sell ash Tele bodies. Shop around.

pypa likes this.
  3. Findthetone

Findthetone NEW MEMBER!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.

Peegoo likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Allparts and Sound Guitar Works make great bodies. Several others. Strat and Tele heel and pocket are compatible. Strat neck on a T body is cool, post pics. You already said Warmoth.

Take 2 hours to look through Statosphere site. They usually have skajillions of Fender necks and bodies, some still have hardware.

5. Tark1

Tark1 TDPRI Member

One of the most important things on a parts build using parts from different suppliers is to achieve a really good neck fit. This rarely happens by chance.

6. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

Ask Eric Clapton. He used a Strat neck with a Telecaster Custom body playing with Blind Faith.
    ... and there is a Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.