New member looking for a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MdaG, Jan 23, 2020.

1. MdaG

MdaG TDPRI Member

Hi!

I'm new here. I've been lurking for some time though, ever since I started building an interest in Telecasters.

I have previously been playing acoustic fingerstyle or fairly modern electrics (Parker Fly or Gary Kramer Delta Wing).

But for some time now I've been visiting music stores and just played Telecasters. New found love so to say. :)

Thing is, the closest I've gotten to purchase was a Fender Vintera 50's or Fender American Original 50's. I think it's the neck that I want. Playing rhythm on those necks was a treat! Way lower radii and way thicker neck than I'm used to. Unfortunately they both come without truss rod entry in headstock, satin neck, belly cut, contoured heel and arm rest bevel. Rolled fretboard would also be nice.

Are there non custom options out there for me which combines the lower radius and thicker neck with "modern inventions" like body contours?

Thanks. :)

Bergy, RadioFM74 and Fretting out like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!

3. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

'sounds like a Strat with all that contoured stuff might suit you better than a Tele.
    Howdy and welcome from here as well.

4. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Welcome! Let your journey for the “perfect tele” begin! :D

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Welcome to this wonderful community:)

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

It can be a pain but one of the cool things about telecasters are is you just take out 5 screws remove the pickguard and you have access to the truss rod after it’s adjusted you shouldn’t have to adjust it again for months
    This is how I adjust my teles truss rods (works especially well on vintage style guitars since the pickup isn’t attached to the guard)

Vibrolux59 and RadioFM74 like this.
  7. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Hey dude welcome from West MI! There are lots of modern teles from Fender and most major brands. I’ve got a Schecter PT with belly cut and headstock adjust that became my #1 almost instantly. Just don’t narrow your search to fender and you’ll find what you’re looking for.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Welcome!

I’m with @Fretting out on this: truss rod at the heel should not dissuade you, not on a tele.
    I may be wrong, but my impression is that within the Fender line, the combination of “modern features” and “50s neck” is not really available (unless you like the “deep C” of the AmPro?)

The closest it gets is with Bajas, Vintera modified and AOs – 9’5’’ radius and medium jumbo frets… but still, truss-rod at heel…

NB: if you see an AV52 used somewhere in your vicinity, go and try it!

Fretting out likes this.
  9. MdaG

MdaG TDPRI Member

Thank you for all the welcomes.

I haven't really thought about a strat. I generally dislike the "joystick" and the bridge that it implies. But surely there's more of a difference than the contours?

It sounds intimidating. Where I live one year yields humidity from 10% to 50% and temperature from -30C to +30C.

The local stores here only stock Fender. Squire and Chapman. I would need to order from Thomann or road trip south or Finland to find other brands of Telecasters. One option is Sonnemo (hand built), but that's $3500.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

60s styles will have the skinny necks. I wonder how it is that all the major brands decided as a group to have chunky 50s and skinny 60s necks. Maybe something with the Baby Boomers being kids then. I gravitate to the chunkier necks.

Another option is buy separate parts and assemble. Buy the neck you want through one vendor, the body you want through another. There are others out there but a convenient resource to at least look is Stratosphere who buy new guitars and take them apart to sell the pieces. You can get a MIA neck you like, Squier body, MIM loaded pickguard. Or find on your local Craigslist-equivalent someone selling a used Tele with a neck you like and another with the body contours you like, and then build from there.

Often, players build their guitars from separate parts, old and new depending on what they want, and then take the assembled guitar to a good guitar tech to do a setup or a full fret level and setup. You'll spend $50-$100 but end up with a custom shop level playability.

You can always check out Thomann's Harley Benton line .. There is that one paisley Tele that is very intriguing (model TE-70, I think).

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

What came first, Tge Tele or the membership...................Welcome aboard. Answer’s the same every time. Get out there and play a few, the right one will jump right out at you. When it’s a $10,000 custom shop or vintage, start again!

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

13. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Body contours?! Pretend it's an acoustic. And relax

14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yes, there are certainly more modern teles out there that have been built over the years. Fender Special Run, the Modern Player series, and probably some other series, you might find used examples of what you're looking for. If all you want out of a tele is a chunkier neck and more rounded radius, however, I wonder if you want a telecaster at all? You CAN certainly get a strat with those features, in fact what you are describing as ideal is basically what I have in my MIM Standard Fender strat - you can get those all day long for around $350 in good shape.

What appeals to people about the tele is, in part, it's historical unchangedness, it's links to music history, and so to some people what you're after is like putting a modern braking and suspension system in a vintage muscle car - you might "improve" it, but are you really improving it?

howardlo likes this.
  15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fretting out likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome!

Funny, you should characterize these models as having "rounder" boards. At 9.5 inches, they're in fact more modern than many purists would like. I'm talking 7.25, which has become much less available at Fender, just in the past 5 years or so.

It is no co-incidence that guitars with fat necks, also have truss rod adjustment at the heel. Because, unlike that Parker that must be re-adjusted every time someone leaves a door open, these fat necked guitars can be "set and forgotten about". I have numerous fat necked Teles and T types and in many instances I go decades without making adjustments to them.

I doubt there's a specific model that will meet all your expectations. You might be better off, trying to adapt to what is out there.

John is right, the Ritchie Kotzen meets more of your laundry list than any other model, but these can be excruciatingly hard to find, to try out. I have gone 3-4 years without seeing even one of them, in person.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

If you can find an American Standard (2012-2016 or so) it will tick a lot of your boxes -- but not the fat neck. It's a comfortable guitar to play, though, with modern radius & rolled edges. Great pickups. You'll know in 10 minutes whether it's going to work for you or not. Should be easier to find than some of the other options.

18. MdaG

MdaG TDPRI Member

Thank you, it definitely looks like the best candidate yet. Well other than a partscaster. I can see a used one 1200 km from where I live. The price is awesome (~$1200), but I'd have to buy without trying. If the seller wants to risk sending it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  19. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Welcome to the show, and good luck with your quest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.