New member, just finished my first Tele build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Gaz_, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

So, I built a 12 string telecaster. It was one of those kits from Gear4Music, but I upgraded a load of parts.
    20190630_1139022.jpg IMG-20190630-WA0000.jpg

Obviously I upgraded the pickups. The bridge is a 2014 American Standard, kicking out around 6.3
    The neck, I was going to go for another Fender standard, but then I totally curve balled myself and got a Sentell open teleneck pickup. That kicks out about 9.4.

No amount of adjusting makes the bridge pickup a similar volume to the neck, has anyone had this problem? I've got the neck pickup as low as it can get, and the bridge as high as I can. Is it just a simple case of the resistance is too low on the bridge to match the neck?

The thing is, I LOVE this neck pickup, it's clear, it rich and it's even got adjustable slugs so I can really shape the sound. I generally don't play with the neck pickup and was toying with an esquire, so I went for this to try something different. But the problem I'm having is the middle position is just a slightly quieter neck, and the bridge feels like turning my guitar off during a practise.

I've found the Tonerider hot classics, which seem to give about 9.2 on the bridge, so I thought that might do the job. I really want to maintain the tele sound so I'm not looking for a humbucker.

Some others that I've seen are the Kent Armstrong TCHR-1 Twanger Telecaster Bridge Pickup at about 8.8, and the Seymour Duncan STL2 Hot Tele Lead at 16.3 (probably toooo hot!)

Has anyone had any experience with any of these pickups?

Cheers for anyhelp!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Damitboy, Toadtele, Nubs and 7 others like this.
  2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Welcome aboard! I can't answer your pickup question, but it sure is a unique instrument!

3. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

Thanks, it'll probably get abit more unique when this turns up. I'm not really sure I'll fit it, but I couldn't get a 12 string ashtray plate (the through body string holes were in the wrong place).[​IMG]

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Welcome, sorry I can't help, I'm a part time Partscaster assembler as a hobby, and have no clue how to solve your problem. Interesting project.

5. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

The Hot Tele pickup would be the right one. I don't think it is too hot when compared to a neck pickup like that.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I have a pair of the Seymour Duncan STL-2 in a tele that I like a lot. Full and rich, and despite the higher output #, very versatile. I wouldn't say too hot at all. I play standard geezer stuff - classic rock, blues & some country.

7. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

So, would you say it still sounds like a tele? I know I'm looking for alot, but I love that tele twang, and I love 12 strings, and I'm certain they'd work together.

There's something magical about the idea of a 12 string tele that can go toe to toe with an SG.

Damitboy likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Plenty of twang in the STL-2 bridge pickup. Yup.

9. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

Seymour/Duncan comes to mind-but there is a company called 'Rio Grande' and they do make a hot bridge and neck pickup. I build as a hobby, each build is an education, which I like. I have found that working through the various websites, you can come up with some pretty unique stuff; I do a lot with four-way switches, and S/D does a lot of mention on line. If you go on 'You-Tube', you can also find some good info. experiment around with sound bleed setups, like Kinsman, etc; also don't be a-feered to monkey around with capacitors for tone. One last source: Breja Toneworks, again, on line.

10. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

I agree, but you sort of add the bark of a P90 with the twang.

teletimetx likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!
    Cool Tele!

12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Nice guitar! I have tonerider hot classic
    in the bridge of 2 Teles, it's a great pickup. Another pickup that's kinda hot which I also like is DiMarzio pre-b-1.

13. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

Yeah I liked the sample sound of the tonerider. And if I'm honest, I liked the price as well.

You're right, it's certainly an education! I checked out a some of your suggestions, they look awesome! Just the old budget problem. I love the idea of capacitor tweaking too!

14. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

Way cool! Really dig that. Well done!

15. Damitboy

Damitboy TDPRI Member

No help here but good work
    When the songs start moving around in your head, a 12 is great to have around,
    and is all around
    good job

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.