New Member - First Telecaster

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Nice guitar(s). The tele seems to be the "first thought" for me when I am fixing to play out, record something or build a Kemper or Helix profile.

That performer is a nice one. I am betting something is getting bound up on the nut. I would recommend some lubricant...but locking tuners are handy.

Welcome.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That Tele just exudes Florida sunshine! Nice! :cool:

Couple of ideas to tighten things up:

GraphTech nut - will cut down on string friction and help you stay in tune and break fewer strings. Some say it adds sustain.

Locking tuners - help to stabilize tuning issues and make string changes a breeze. I have used Fenders, Gotohs, and Sperzels, and the Sperzels are my pick. Once you get a Tele dialed in, they stay in tune great.

Saddles - there are lots of fans of the 3-barrel version because they are "vintage looking." But many of us prefer the individual ones because they are easier to intonate properly. Also, GraphTech makes both versions, and that really reduces string friction and breakage.

All these parts and more are available on Amazon with Prime delivery. Ordering from StewMac can take weeks, especially nowadays. And if you have questions, this is the place to get answers from people who aren't selling anything and have actually used the pickup, etc. you want to know about.

Welcome to the Telecaster therapy group! :D

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Welcome. I read about your D string tuner slipping. I have three guitars with slotted tuners and have never had a tuning stability problem with them. In your shoes, I’d try slipping the string through like you do through a tuner with a hole, winding the first wrap over and three wraps under to see of that helps. If the D string still goes flat after a song to a set, I’d replace the single tuner. I have nothing against locking tuners but I’ve never had a tuning stability issue on any guitar. If you need to change something, especially since you joined the can’t leave well enough alone forum, a tort guard would look killer on your guitar.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
How’s it going? I’m Dennis from Florida, new to the forum and a new Telecaster owner. A couple of months ago I bought a 2020 American Performer Telecaster, used off Reverb, for a great price (Less than a MIM).

The pickguard had been changed to a wood one, but otherwise stock and in great condition. I’ve really been enjoying the Tele, it has a neck like my Strat, not a baseball bat like some I tried before, and the Bridge pickup screams!

I’m probably going to pull out the vintage slotted tuners and install Fender locking ones - several strings keep going flat - I figure slippage. Maybe I just need to learn the trick to them, but I have locking tuners on all my electrics, even my Traveller EG-2.

script>

MNHeuQEh.jpg

It has a lot of friends - I own 9 guitars, 2 tube amps and a Kemper Profiler Stage.

brFLM0ph.jpg

I was a hard rock/early metal player and a Strat guy/Charvel guy in the 80s. My 1985 MIJ HSS, pearl white faded yellow in the pic, and a 1989 Charvel, disassembled for a blue/green Frankenstein paint job, new hardware and electronics (not shown.). I also have a Squier Strat, a Traveller EG-2 travel guitar and an old Yamaha acoustic.

I slowly became a Les Paul Guy - 2010 Gibson Traditional and my #1 guitar, a Limited Edition PRS Semi-Hollow SC594 (Paul finally replicated a 59 burst.)

Now I play at Church and write/record my own progressive rock in my guitar room.

I also have two Martins (shown): a 2004 D-15 and a 2005 Private Stock CF-1 Jazz guitar.

I have a Suhr Bella, a Fender amp and a Kemper. The Kemper is so good it gets 99% of the play time. This coming from a former tube amp evangelist.
nice tele...I believe I would like the wooden pick guard...enjoy the axe and the forum

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
How’s it going? I’m Dennis from Florida, new to the forum and a new Telecaster owner. A couple of months ago I bought a 2020 American Performer Telecaster, used off Reverb, for a great price (Less than a MIM).

The pickguard had been changed to a wood one, but otherwise stock and in great condition. I’ve really been enjoying the Tele, it has a neck like my Strat, not a baseball bat like some I tried before, and the Bridge pickup screams!

I’m probably going to pull out the vintage slotted tuners and install Fender locking ones - several strings keep going flat - I figure slippage. Maybe I just need to learn the trick to them, but I have locking tuners on all my electrics, even my Traveller EG-2.

script>

MNHeuQEh.jpg

It has a lot of friends - I own 9 guitars, 2 tube amps and a Kemper Profiler Stage.

brFLM0ph.jpg

I was a hard rock/early metal player and a Strat guy/Charvel guy in the 80s. My 1985 MIJ HSS, pearl white faded yellow in the pic, and a 1989 Charvel, disassembled for a blue/green Frankenstein paint job, new hardware and electronics (not shown.). I also have a Squier Strat, a Traveller EG-2 travel guitar and an old Yamaha acoustic.

I slowly became a Les Paul Guy - 2010 Gibson Traditional and my #1 guitar, a Limited Edition PRS Semi-Hollow SC594 (Paul finally replicated a 59 burst.)

Now I play at Church and write/record my own progressive rock in my guitar room.

I also have two Martins (shown): a 2004 D-15 and a 2005 Private Stock CF-1 Jazz guitar.

I have a Suhr Bella, a Fender amp and a Kemper. The Kemper is so good it gets 99% of the play time. This coming from a former tube amp evangelist.
Welcome aboard. It’s about time you got that Tele. It looks fantastic. I love the look of vintage tuners and the slotted mechanisms, which do lock the strings according to “the experts.” They actually make two kinds of vintage style locking tuners. One type has the little locking wheels on the back but the other version somehow locks the string in the hole when you start to tighten the peg. That way it still looks vintage from the front and the back. In any case, have fun playing that Tele.

DennyBob521

TDPRI Member
Welcome to the fold!

Sb

Edit: What does 521 mean?

I’m a class clown. When I was in 5th grade, a math teacher was asking each of us our favorite number, and then doing a little lesson off each one - like if someone said “2”, he’d say “Isn’t it cool that 2 + 2 = 4, and 2 x 2 = 4?”

So when it came to me I was ready with a large random number . It stuck around. No big significance otherwise, not in my passwords BTW - I’m a 30+ year IT guy, my passwords are super cryptic.

BTW, I pulled the D string and the G and added a little pencil graphite and restrung them - boom!

I still like locking tuners though, and all my electric guitars are stoptail or blocked - tuning seems more stable with no string winds, to me at least. The only tremolo I’ve ever liked is a Bigs I had on a 2016 Fender Jazzmaster - that’s one I’d wish I’d kept. Great guitar, but those JM pickups buzz like haydes.

I should have just kept the guitar and put some PAFs in it.

sLM5qCD.jpg

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I have never had those vintage style tuners slip. If you put the string inside and wrap em nicely they are dang stable. As others said, check the nut and saddles.

Locking tuners make for quick string changes but I prefer the vintage style where the string goes in. No pokey wire sticking out.

Welcome BTW.