New Mcvay Bender

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Chet Johnson, May 11, 2020.

1. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I just got another Mcvay B bender back and it is absolutely flawless. The machining is impeccable and precise. The operation is smooth and silent, and incredible accurate. The bender stop stays in tune even after changing strings. Guaranteed not to rust, bust, or gather dust. On top of that, Charlie is an all around great guy. He machines all of his own parts from
    7075 T6 aluminum. They use it to make Airplane bodies and wings, etc. It's stronger than 304 stainless steel.
    It has twice or more sustain than 304 Stainless Steel. It isnt just Aluminum that you buy at Home Depo or Lowe's. I can't stop playing this guitar. 0503201745.jpg 0503201745a.jpg 0503201745b.jpg 0503201745c.jpg 0502201453.jpg 0502201457.jpg

Attached Files:

Kingpin, asatfan, sloppychops and 4 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ultra cool!

3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Looks really cool. Tell us about the experience getting it installed.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

that thing is delicious.

5. Chet Johnson

The experience? I send a guitar to Charlue and he gives it back with thw most perfect sounding and playing bender possible. The tone doesnt change a bit, and the bender works with surgical precision

brookdalebill and Fretting out like this.
  6. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

How long was the wait?

7. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

That’s apparently a little different from Glaser. Last time I talked to him, he wanted you to pick up the guitar from his location, if I recall correctly. I’ve thought about getting one a couple of times, but I can’t decide which Tele to send. Well that, and I can’t think of where I’d use it in most of the music I play. But it sure would be fun.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe TDPRI Member

Looks fantastic! Although I love Forrest Lee Jr and his design, I can't resist smiling when I see benders that use actual steel parts :D

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Is there anything visible on the back of the guitar?

Is the only thing you can see the hole by the neck and strap button and lever?
    Is it a single rod that goes through the middle of the guitar?

If he doesn’t have to cut a big chunk out of the back I’m definitely interested

That’s so sweet!

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

The Glaser, McVay, Kirkpatrick etc.. designs do NOT route the body with a cavity for the puller system. ( RE Fender PG , Forrest Lee jr, Parson/White etc... ) Its a simple well designed system with a single rod going from the neck plate back thru the body. There will be some minimal routing under the pick guard area and typically under the bridge. Something has to pull the saddle and allow it to return to the natural note. Space is required. A hook system of some sort and a return spring .

Apparently the only real differences are perhaps materials used and the design of the saddles. Then how the strings connect to the saddles. This is I suspect where the design patents are not violated.

Aircraft Aluminum vs Stainless is almost irrelevant , these things are not going to wear out , ever ! Both are quality materials .

All Benders need to do 3 things to be effective and accurate. This is exactly how Pedal Steels are designed.

1- the natural note with a hard stop so it stays in tune
    2- the pulled note with a tune-able hard stop
    3- a return spring to get back to the natural note with fixed or maybe adjustable tension

How we accomplish those 3 steps mechanically is the trick ! Is one better than another ? Who can say.

But I do know this, we play them all exactly the same ! :)

I happen to own 4 different guitars with different Bender systems. Sure they are different, no doubt. But each very functional and capable. I don't worry about the routing or materials, I worry if it stays in tune. Thats really all that matters.

Pick your poison !

1- Tele with the FL jr system, this is the primary Bender, my favorite
    2- Gibson Music City with the Glaser - can pull the B or the G
    3- Fender Parsons Green
    4- McEwen double bender system which mounts to the back of the guitar.

On the gigs or shows, nobody ever asks what system is in the guitar , they just say it sounds pretty kool !

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  11. Chet Johnson

That is correct. The actuator on the neck plate oh, the tuning stop on the and near the neck plate, and the tension screw by the lower strap button are the only mods you'll we on the body. 1 long threaded rod runs through the center, there is no routing to the back.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.