1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Marshall Amp!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by genelovesjez, Mar 20, 2003.

1. genelovesjez

genelovesjez Friend of Leo's

Whew, I got in. While my daily "ban" is lifted, I'll hurry up and post...

I just got a new Marshall Head: a JCM 800 Model 2203! I am stoked!

On the plus side:

It's from 1983, so it has the vertical inputs and six filter capacitors (not 3 like later ones), and it's in pristine condition - it looks brand new! It's got EL34s.

On the not so plus side:

It appears to be one of the dreaded Canadian (CSA) models, so has the small toggles and LED, and only offers 4 or 8 ohms impedance selection (not 16). I don't know if that is significant or not.

I haven't had a chance to crank it up yet. As a matter of fact, I don't have a cab yet. I grabbed this head as soon as it came on the market - Marshall supplies have been pretty thin around here lately, but there seems to be lots of cabs, so I'll take my time and get a good one.

Any feedback or input (vertical or otherwise) is appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter

2. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I believe that the impedance selectors on most '800s have only two options. For the third, there's supposed to be a simple mod you can do. For instance, on the '900s, the impedance selector says 8 or 16(4). The (4) means that the 16 ohm position can be modded to take a 4 ohm load. No idea why they did this.

Are the other differences just asthetics? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. It's the sound you're after. You got one of the earlier vertical input models, so you should be ahead of the game anyway.

Anything else wrong with the Canadian models?

3. genelovesjez

Thanks Ben!

I can't wait to get this baby cranked up. I just have to figure out what cab to get (there seems to be a pretty good selection around here).

4. astro

astro Tele-Holic

Congrats Dude

Sounds great. Not to pry but how much was it? Did you just buy the head or the head and cabinet too?

Our guitar player is still hunting around here.

:D

5. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

It is the JCM900s that have the internal 16/4 ohm connection. Canadian JCM800s (and later JMPs), do not have a 16ohm tap, it is a CSA (their version of UL) thing that I've never understood. In addition to this lack of a tap, there are also a bzillion internal fuses, and often these amps have at least one toggle switch, and many have a circuit breaker on the back panel.

6. genelovesjez

I paid $1050 Canadian, which is about $710 US, and I just got the head. I don't know if it's a great deal, but I'm happy to get one this close to what I wanted (early 80s JCM 800 2203). I haven't got the cab yet, so any recommendations or insights are greatly welcomed!

7. genelovesjez

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Do you know what the implications of this CSA model are for performance, etc.? This is all pretty new to me (even though I used to work for UL!).

8. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

Congratulations Peter.

Say ... I was down at Songbird on Wednesday shopping for tubes. You didn't happen to get your Marshall there, did you?

9. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

The CSA stuff should not effect performance. Another interesting note is that Canadian amps never got 6550s.

10. genelovesjez

As a matter of fact I did - I saw it on the website Tuesday night, and headed down there Wednesday around lunchtime.

11. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Oh man, that's not cool. They really don't have the 16 ohm tap at all? That shouldn't be a problem if one has a 16 ohm cab - most can just be wired differently, but that's still a bummer. You'd think it would've been cheaper for Marshall to just throw in the same transformer and not wire up the tap, but I guess them CSA folks must check everything.

Oh well, another inch of fuse here and there shouldn't hurt anything if the amp is well-built, and doesn't blow 'em all the time. I don't see how the toggle switch helps anything though.

Funny thing though... That experience I had in Toronto was with an American JCM800 blowing a fuse. Must be something in that Canadian power.

12. Smokey

Smokey TDPRI Member

JCM800....

I hope you didn't pay $800-$900 for it like some suckers do. It's the most hyped amp of the new century.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.