New made in USA Orange .. interesting?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
It's an absolutely horrible name ... unless you're a fan of brainwashing, psychological torture and drug abuse/manipulation.
Does it come with its own megadose of Owsley-25 ?

No, not a fan obviously.

Can say much more here anyway can I?

I laughed because of the audacity of naming it that and I didn't for a moment consider it should be taken seriously or seen as an endorsement or promotion for government experimentation on the public.

... given current events, maybe more of a timely reminder?

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
It uses 2 x 12AX7s. That makes me think that it has a cathodyne phase inverter, which Orange was using even in their big amps back in the day.
those big amps used only 2 x 12AX7s. This amp is cathode biased.

My Marshall Origin 20H is cathode biased and has a long tailed pair PI. It has 3 12AX7s, but one is exclusively for the effects loop.

So if that Orange amp doesn't have an effects loop, and there isn't a cathode follower prior to the tone stack, I'm guessing the preamp might potentially be similar to what the Origin 20H has (tone stack is plate loaded after V1B). Or maybe it's BF/SF-like, but with more Brit-like values in the tone stack, and potentially a larger fixed midrange resistor (possibly 12K to 15K or so).
The Origin 20 is interesting in that the JTM Marshall used 3 preamp tubes and a cathode follower on the tone stack.

The Origin repurposes one for the effects loop, but it retains a cathode follower stage - on mine clicked in or out on the footswitch it appears to be in the preamp chain.

The amp has that 'feel' like a JTM or most Marshalls of touch sensitivity that seems to come from a cathode follower - Vox too.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
The Origin 20 is interesting in that the JTM Marshall used 3 preamp tubes and a cathode follower on the tone stack.

The Origin repurposes one for the effects loop, but it retains a cathode follower stage - on mine clicked in or out on the footswitch it appears to be in the preamp chain.

yeah i was going to say, the third triode pair looks like it's also being used as a recovery setup. there would likely be too much loss from the tonestack if you took it out.

It uses 2 x 12AX7s. That makes me think that it has a cathodyne phase inverter, which Orange was using even in their big amps back in the day.
those big amps used only 2 x 12AX7s. This amp is cathode biased.

yeah i'm wondering more about it, they said that the bass and treble were in different parts of the circuit - so no bax. maybe it's something like input stage > tone and volume > recovery stage > bass control (instead of FAC) and then into the gain/cathodyne (or straight into LTP)? sort of mixing OR and either a 5E5 or 6G3?

in this vid when he messes with the deep knob (5:10), there is a bit of gain loss with it all the way down, so maybe something like that is the case for the bass knob. he says to adjust the volume with the bass knob down and THEN bring the bass up - so maybe that's a bit of CYA for the lossiness, haha.

Last edited:

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don’t know how this thread got to some Marshall amp.??? Orange has never had a tendency to follow in Marshall’s footsteps.
I have no idea where Orange put the bass other than it follows the volume with the treble prior to the volume. Those two tone controls could sit in between the first two gain stage, or the bass could follow the second gain.
Until someone opens one up and analyzes the circuit, we will not know what is there, but IF I were a betting man I would put my m9ney on this circuit having some resemblance to the old MK amps.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity

The amp has that 'feel' like a JTM or most Marshalls of touch sensitivity that seems to come from a cathode follower - Vox too.
Someone who offers a mod for the Origin (to convert it into a 2204-alike, although not sure why anyone would want to do that to this particular amp) has a roughly-drawn schematic of it in stock form, and it shows the tone stack following V1B's plate, and then the effects loop send (V2A) falls after it. The send is driven off of V2A's cathode.

Origin%2020%20%20-%20original.jpeg

Since this new Orange amp only has a pair of 12AX7s, I guess that it's plausible that you might have one of the two following scenarios:

1. plate-loaded tone stack after either V1A or V1B, with LTP PI
2. cathode follower for V2A with tone stack after it, and a cathodyne PI

I'd be personally surprised if the tone circuitry in this Orange amp was really unorthodox or unique, given that it's limited to four triode stages, and at least one of those has to be the PI.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I don’t know how this thread got to some Marshall amp.??? Orange has never had a tendency to follow in Marshall’s footsteps.
I have no idea where Orange put the bass other than it follows the volume with the treble prior to the volume. Those two tone controls could sit in between the first two gain stage, or the bass could follow the second gain.
Until someone opens one up and analyzes the circuit, we will not know what is there, but IF I were a betting man I would put my m9ney on this circuit having some resemblance to the old MK amps.
I think it's interesting to consider when they each came from considering Tom Jennings of Vox copied a Bassman initially and so did Jim Marshall

New Orange amps aren't a million miles from some of the old ones except the Baxandall tone stack (also used in some Marshalls) and in that there's a lineage from the Normal channel of Vox which isn't a million miles from 18 watt Marshalls.

Cathode bias has been a feature of many like the Rocker and TH30 - some of the 50 Watters go from fixed to cathode-bias on the low power setting. The Rocker 30 are cathode biased but have the fixed bias holes in the PCB.

Last edited:

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I was more thinking of the Origin 20 specifically, for the following reasons:

- Orange is cathode bias from a pair of octal-base tubes, as is the Origin 20
- Orange is limited to just four triode stages. So is the Origin 20, if you drop the tube-driven effects loop

...I guess it was more the cathode bias from a pair of octals that made me immediately think of the Origin 20, since I have an O20H, and really love that it's cathode bias.

Anyway, that's my clarification - I wasn't really thinking about the history of Marshall vs. Orange at all.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yeah…let’s face it….Leo Fender used Weatern Electric circuits and everyone followed Leo.
This Orange will not have a Cthode follower driving the tone stack. We can know this simply by taking the manufacturer’s simple explanation of the tone controls. The treble precedes the volume….that right there negates the possibility of a cathode follower as used in those larger tweed Fenders from the second half of the 1950s…that circuit being copied by SOME of the English builders but not by Orange back in the day.
but….I suppose that it is common for other amps to be drug into a thread….”well, my amp which is a _________, It might be somewhat like this one, but it is different and I like it a lot!”
I prefer to stay on track with the amp…or guitar…that is the focus of a thread. Ommv…..and yeah, it might be one of those days.
ya’ll have a good time comparing known amps to an unknown amp. I simply cannot do that because….well…..I will admit when I don’t know and would rather wait to see. I will admit that comparing this unknown amp to a multitude of other amps will make for a larger thread, though.

Now…can anyone explain to me why the ‘unwatch’ function does NOT stop notifications of new posts from a thread that has been ‘unlatched’??? Eeeehaw….