1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New MACs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, Nov 19, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm open to try and understand this common complaint but I use Apple, Google and Microsoft platforms. Add Adobe for photos too. What you describe is pretty much always just needed to keep your own IDs straight.

When the child is old enough, make sure they use their own credentials even if you're paying the bill. Also, sometimes people confused a shared library of images.

2. imwjl

It's not just stupid and mean. You forgot the "money grab".

getbent likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Apple creates a lot of features that supposedly increase convenience, but they’re glitchy and resist any customization imo.

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I agree with this from a business perspective, but for individuals and small operators, SASS (software as a service for folks not familiar) is a tough row to hoe, at least in the present world. The local alternative, other than totally separate machines, is small CPUs and remote access/control if virtualization like many of us use today becomes less viable. But that can be complex for non-geeky types. Professor Dr. SWMBO is one of the smartest folks I know (and I'm not saying that because I'm married to her...), but she's struggling with the remote access/control solution I setup to an older iMac so she could reliably access Messages (Apple) on her Windows desktop which she necessarily uses due to software licensing for certain research tools.

It would be nice if application development across the board was done in a way that promoted cross-platform deployment, but that's not likely to be a universal thing in our collective lifetimes...even though it's technically something possible today with existing tools.

imwjl likes this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I run SAAS as an individual and it is pretty simple to set up and use... and we use SAAS on Chromebooks at work with kids with special needs... but it is only a sample size of 30K people, so it may be harder for folks in a larger sample size.

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

SAAS, also known as revenue stream. I dislike it intensely, but it's the way things are going. I see it as the next, and possibly last iteration of the thick client vs. thin client flip flop that happened about every decade since the 60s or so. It has nothing to do with quality or the users. The benefits there are incidental. It's more about control than anything.

Sometimes I think that my forced retirement was a good thing. I feel like a buggy whip maker in the auto age, with my outmoded ideas of owning my processor and code. Doesn't help that nearly every coding job is really the same stuff over and over. Stupid business problems that should have been solved ages ago. But no one solved them because solving problems for good doesn't make money. I really got lucky with my last one.

Pasta Player likes this.
  7. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have been on Macs since about 2007 (and before that in the late 80's and early 90's). I currently own a mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro. It has been a wonderful computer. Sadly, I recently discovered that my battery has expanded and, worried that the computer will self destruct, ordered the new 16" version with the Intel chip. They have not announced when the new apple silicone will be in the 16" model, and I don't want to risk waiting. But Apple says it will "continue to support and release new versions of MacOS for Intel-based Macs for years to come." Hopefully at least five years.

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. getbent

All business transactions are revenue streams. Selling a 5 ¼" floppy to somebody via mail order is a revenue stream... with each subsequent update.. yup, on a floppy.

SaaS isn't thin client. What makes sense to me is that the meat and potatoes stuff we do is good on a local machine (the exception being using office or google docs which work great from the cloud).. with 5G here and many folks with access to high speed internet, it is no big deal.

I use SAAS for the apps that don't run native on my machine AND for apps I only run 'once in awhile' then it is cheaper to pay as you go rather than spend a chunk and maybe use the tool rarely.

I don't own a drain auger. That is something I'd rent because I only need it once in awhile. Same with with SaaS. It is just 'software as a service'.

For an enterprise, you use it for those reasons AND when you have determined that the users are more likely to mess up their app than their network connection is likely to go down. Back in the era when networks were more flakey, connections were slower, and users were less used to being on the network, it was rare that it was a good choice. But, in the age of much better internet (for many) more reliable networks, and slightly more savvy users.. it has become part of a good solution.

Want the new mac that runs 3 times as fast as pretty much anybody else? You can get it because you can utilize things like SAAS or Office 365 and not have to wait for updates and new builds. But, hey, whatever works in your use case.

imwjl likes this.
  9. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The battery on my 2010 MBP finally would not charge. I got a 3rd party battery off eBay and it even came with the proper screwdrivers. I'd look there for a replacement for your 2015, unless you got a trade-in value that was worth something. (Mine was $50 so I kept it :))

Pasta Player likes this.
  10. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

The new Mac mini m1 is getting rave performance reviews.

11. imwjl

Yes. Maybe the understanding the SOC (system on a chip) part will help make more sense out of it (the changes unfolding). Not just the ARM architecture, something started or known in a lot of small devices, and more recently taken to extremes in our phones.

The computational photography and the security subsystems are good examples of the SOC or made for what we do idea. For general purpose computing and SaaS, those hot, powerful general purpose Intel chips - even hotter Xeons - work in the data center.

I'll be some here have seen the smarts Google and Microsoft have with web-based apps. That's data center power, SaaS, and your computer only has to be good at browsers and redrawing the screen fast.

Also on change and revenue streams. Maybe we should remember the days when we rented phones from the Bell System.

In the new way, a 10 person office can have services, performance and reliability that used to be enterprise stuff. In less than a second my phone's camera let alone the rest does what used to take between hours and days. When it took between hours and days it also took my being a paid darkroom technician and professional photographer.

Better yet. We can love the new and still cherish our one speed bicycles.

12. imwjl

Apple, Microsoft and others are also doing a lot to improve the cross-platform and deployment stuff. We have a young woman with fresh perspective and fresh education open to using the latest and modern tools. She's getting new and better mouse traps displayed wherever there's a browser faster than our traditional vendors can get proposals done.

This is part of why I think the new Mac Minis could be viable and the new laptops great.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  13. raito

I'll disagree, One time transactions aren't quite a stream. But remember, we're on opposite sides of these transactions. I can tell you definitively that at the places I've worked, the executives never considered selling a floppy (or other single copy) to be a stream. They all salivated over the idea of leasing out their software instead of selling it.

I had to sit through those meetings.

Heck, the first inklings of that were in the second wave of how dongles got used. The first being just checking for legal copies. The second for being able to revoke legal copies.

I see I was unclear here. It isn't that SAAS is exactly a thin client. Not at all. But it does fit the same place in computing. See below for what is the modern thin client.

And if that were the case, it might have utility for me (even though I tend to not have need for things once in a while). At least for the stuff I had to deal with at my last job, pay as you go wasn't an option. More like, keep paying constantly whether you use it or not. That might color our respective opinions.

I agree. And enterprise is very different than personal. Better internet and data centers have made some things possible that weren't before. Time will tell where that's good and not so good.

One way it's good is that the focus on compromising systems seems to have moved away a bit from user's machines to the servers themselves. ("Why do you rob banks?" "Because that's where the money is.") The unfortunate flipside is that the servers have all the data.

Well, I do understand SoC stuff and ARM architecture. That's the level at which I prefer to work.

I really don't want the security subsystem in the chip itself. But you run into troubles when you have updateable bits of things that aren't auditable.

At my last job, I brought this up as a thing to be researched. The idea that a device could be compromised by updating firmware of subsystems that were outside the CPU. Such as the net transceiver. The PhD running research at our location thought it far-fetched. Until there was an exploit in the wild 6 months later.

And that IS a thin client. But instead of a terminal, the user has a browser.

Yes, we should. And the days when you owned your music collections.

Having an instant camera in your pocket should change things more than it appears to. Pre-camera phone, would you ever even have thought of taking a picture of the grocery list before shopping (and let's leave list apps out of it -- writing it on the white board directly across from the pantry is good enough)? Or taking a photo of a price tag in a store to look at later? Let alone the useless things people do with them for entertainment...

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. imwjl

You'd be surprised but when @getbent worked for Apple I had a job 1/2 paid by Apple and 1/2 by IBM to place, validate and help with new technologies. That included Newton, QuickTake and Kodak SLR beta testing and prototypes. I caught at the time now but I had to combine photos and text in all sorts of now labor intensive ways.

Sure, most do not special stuff with camera phones, but you'd be surprised at what marketing and art pros I work with do with the last gen and just released iPhones.

We might disagree with some of this stuff. I still have frustrating trouble with old technology that still has to work, but I totally see where things are going. The new Apple releases are great across the board. Lines are drawn differently now. It's all compute, storage and network. Networks are logical and physical. To confuse it more my core switch (a stack of stuff acting as one) can also run applications.

For your other point, all sorts of things can be compromised - firmware or an unpatched old computer. What you need to consider there is encryption. There's end to end encryption in payment systems many might now but also in whole systems architecture. Apple has kept white papers out there since introducing the Lightning port that are a more friendly read than some.

Nothing will ever be perfect but the page I got an hour ago illustrates why the new is so good. Our customer loyalty system vendor can't get their Android/Linux craptacular mess in either of the data center or PCI DSS scope so it's the biggest headache we have for reliability in retail and someone should slap them side of the head for saying using Android and Linux is less expensive.

15. getbent

I realize we live in an era of alternative facts. A revenue stream by definition, would be what I described. The experience you had at your last job where someone you worked with not consider a transaction a revenue stream is to not use what a revenue stream is by definition. I've been an engineer in the meeting and I have also been the business guy in the meeting and was always aware and quite sure that a transaction is a revenue stream.

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/accounting/revenue-streams/

Again, I use SaaS as an individual AND as an enterprise manager. They are both pretty easy and cost effective and smart implementations IF you know what you are doing.

I'm curious about one of your statements about a Ph.D. who was, I'm assuming, a superior as well, who considered your idea and rejected it. Why was it important that he was a Ph.D?

imwjl likes this.
  16. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Why is Apple ditching Intel? There's no single reason, more of a confluence of factors, but simply: Intel has failed to deliver high-performance, low-power chips and Apple can build a much higher performance, low power System On a Chip (SOC).

Apple is not the only large company making their own chips. Amazon builds its own Graviton ARM chip, Tesla has an SOC it has designed and builds in its cars, and others to follow. The era of the Intel X86 commodity chip is coming to an end.

Ever noticed iPhones and iPads have no fan and they are powerful as hell? Apple SOCs.

The new M1 powered Macs run circles around the previous generation of Intel-equipped Macs. There are more than a few reports coming out now that some of the non-optimized X86 compiled programs are running *faster* on the M1 Macs than on the native Intel Macs. Insane!

Rene Ritchie and Max Tech have some great videos demonstrating side-by-side comparisons. One rather mind-blowing demo shows an M1 MB Pro able to open and run 10 times the number of Logic Pro tracks than its Intel-equipped sibling. And as one or both of these guys have said, "M1 is the *worst* (meaning least performant) Apple Silicon chip for Macs we will ever see. They will only get better."

Of course, if you have programs and equipment that can not run on the M1 Macs yet, you'd be ill advised to buy one now. But if not, you're going to see amazing performance boosts.

The SOC means that resources are far more easily shared and more quickly, due to being on the same chip and the chip using 5 nanometer scale. (Intel just got to 7nm).

M1 trouncing Intel in Logic Pro. At 21:22 (time links in notes on the page):

imwjl likes this.
  17. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell TDPRI Member

Never buy the first iteration of a technology product.

OSX is great, but I wouldn't rule out a Windows machine either.

18. raito

It wasn't at my last job, but a number of them prior to that. Last job was fairly sane until the company was sold to private equity. But regardless of definition, it was how those guys thought.

He wasn't my direct superior. It's not particularly important that he was a PhD, I suppose. But at that company, the PhDs were mostly the guys on the sharp edge of research. It's really just a label for the guy. And more polite than thinking of him as the Russian hacker.

imwjl, I was less referring to the technical capabilities of any phone or camera but the cultural and behavioral changes that come from having a camera on one's person nearly constantly and the ability to transmit the images nearly instantaneously.

19. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Still no clear picture of Bigfoot though, even with all those cameras. (Sorry, diverting from thread but couldn't help myself:))

imwjl likes this.
  20. imwjl

That's not the risk it once was for a lot of products. Testing and prototyping has advanced. The best stuff is done at incredible scale. Of course what the product is and the maker are significant too.

For Apple, remember how long we've had the A chips and iPad Pros. None of several Tesla Model S and 3 owners I know have any regrets. I'm sure glad I just got the 12 Pro Max phone that you could call first gen in terms of networking and cameras. That and Tesla 3 owning associates are all nicely future proofed.

I confess to being more cautious about enterprise technology.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.