1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New MACs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, Nov 19, 2020.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've already got one of the M1 MacBook Pros. Last time I purchased a Mac myself was in 2006.. so way overdue. That was a Mac Pro FWIW.

I'm a software engineer.. lots of computers in the house. I have a homebuilt desktop running Windows, a Surface Pro (2017), etc..

I have had a 15" MacBook Pro issued by whatever company I was working for at the time for about 10 years.

There is utterly no question to me, these new MacBooks are the best ones ever. It's unbelievable. I had qualms about not being able to get one with 32GB of ram but realistically for my personal use that's fine. For my work use right now I have a 2018 15" MBP w/16GB of Ram and the 1TB SSD. That machine is really not powerful enough for my work. It's getting very painful. It's hot all the time and the fan runs so much I keep thinking the machine is going to break. I had a 2013 MBP at work that did break.. it had been run so hot the battery failed and was close to starting on fire. (It swelled to the point it bent the metal case)

The M1 I have yet to hear the fan come on once. It's so cold if you put it on your lap with shorts on it feels cold. I have never seen a laptop like it. It has maybe the best keyboard of any MBP I've owned. (The 2018 is the worst Mac keyboard I can recall BTW)

I like the Surface Pro too, it's great for throwing on the music stand for zoom sessions, etc.. But the Surface Pro is not really any cheaper than the Mac if equipped similarly. Windows has a pile of annoying issues with the whole tablet mode that drive me nuts.

But mostly there are all kinds of things that come up where I'm used to solving that kind of problem on Unix and windows is a PITA in comparison. So it's good to have a new Mac.

Fact of the matter is though I don't really have any hardware or software that's critical that doesn't already run on the M1. Others might. However for what Macs cost I would never buy an Intel one right now. Either buy one of the M1s or wait. If you need a machine right now and you can use a cheap windows machine do that.

At work I have a bunch of stuff we do where the ARM processors present short/medium term issues. For personal use I don't have those restrictions. I have pretty much never cared to run windows in a VM or use boot camp on a Mac. Just no need, there's always a way to do whatever I need on either OS.

Rockinvet, imwjl and getbent like this.
  2. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

My office gave me a brand new Dell Precision 5540 to use, but I keep switching over to my 6 year-old MacBook Air (even though it's on its last legs).

The Dell has a wide uncomfortable keyboard and it feels slow and heavy when navigating through screens/files, etc. But I can live with that.

But the worst part is that I've accidentally sent emails while proof-reading them with my right hand pointer finger lightly hovering over the touchpad. I opened system preferences and set the touchpad to its lowest sensitivity, but it happened again. Horrifying feeling.

I'll probably get another MacBook Air in the next few weeks out of necessity. So I'm sorry to hear that some are voicing concerns/issues.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm with the wait and see posts. I've lived by the rule of only buying tech that's been on the market for at least a year; never buy the "latest and greatest" which is always a crap-shoot. It never fails to pay off by saving money and headaches.

Pasta Player likes this.
  4. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

I have two Macbook Pros. I bought one in 2013 and it is a wonderful laptop - battery life still at 80% after 7.5 years! Upgraded the HD and I think I added RAM a few years after buying it. I use it daily. I bought the other one last year to be a dedicated studio workhorse; I had to upgrade my audio interface at the same time, and I got the newest version of Logic Pro at the same time. The 2019 is a powerhouse, and I love it, but I let it stay in the studio and it only has Logic and a few other audio applications on it.

I love the idea of integrated Apple chips and the accompanying speed and battery life, but it's not worth the issues of compatibility which a studio-computer would certainly face. I have too much expensive non-Apple equipment and I don't want to find out that half of it won't run with the new Macbooks. I have seen the way my plug-ins and hardware stuff fails every time the OS is upgraded, so I can only imagine what might happen with the new Macbooks...

Maybe in a couple of years...

Pasta Player likes this.
  5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When I dug deep into this with Parallels the other day to see what they expect, they did indicate they were working on a solution but I got the impression that they were not exactly sure how "Intel Windows" was going to factor in at the present time. Linux...no issues expected. But there are clear concerns about supporting non-ARM OS/applications in the virtualized environment. But perhaps I misunderstood all I read.

6. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I would wait. I'm waiting for the 16" MacBook Pro.

7. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

8. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I don’t know if I’d wait. I’d get the 27” iMac with the smallest amount of RAM and upgrade it after. I know there is a lot of debate about value but honestly for what you get, I think the 27 imac is a fantastic deal. If you are an iPhone or Apple TV person I think it makes even more sense.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I know the rules about pre-installed and I'm not certain what the Parallels product will be. Reality is I use a VM on my Macs less and less. It already looks like CodeWeavers running Quicken means it will run the QuickBooks I use for my own LLC.

I have stuff like what @beninma described, and I expect I'll keep having some flavor of company owned Surface. Going to the Laptop 3 like my assistant and accounting staff have would stop the annoying full screen mode stuff but be carrying a little more weight.

I thought @getbent said he runs Nutanix. In a way this and other current changes are poking at me there. Apple did an out of warranty keyboard replacement for me recently so I can wait. I think I'll write one of my clusters' VMware to AHV, think about hosted Windows desktop incidents and chose which M1 a little later. I'm soon to not need desktop browsers, Flash, Silverlight etc... as it's been for a long time.

My new phone even has some influence on how I might change. One place I go to often has 5G faster than the 100 Mbps in my home office. Cisco just did a mobile app upgrade that took away a frequent reason I use laptops. Yesterday I got paged on an employee/security/termination incident and I didn't even need a computer any more for my responsibilities in that.

It looks like Teams will be native on the M1 soon and for now that's the one really important thing for me. We're replacing conventional telephony with a direct routing Broadcom/Teams solution. Two directors who want the new laptops will live on that.

Things are changing in good ways.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah choice of phone can be important. Some stuff you might want to do with an iPhone unfortunately works a heck of a lot better with a Mac.

Backing up photos from iPhone to windows has been horrible. It’s Apple’s fault but it is what it is. In comparison it’s about a 100x faster and foolproof reliable with a Mac using their image capture app.

11. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Just out of sheer curiosity…
    I do wonder how many of the “Buy-It-Now” camp are heavily invested in DAW?
    A1.png
    B1.png
    C1.png
    D1.png

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

I waited and waited... finally they are here. I would not and will not buy the Intel Mac. Costco web site has already pulled down the M1 Macs and they were not even supposed to ship until Nov 30. The Mac mini is only $669. MacBook Pro $1249. I waited because I am heading out of town and did not want to have a delivery while I was out. So I wait again. More exciting things are coming too. So yes, well worth the wait and go with the M1.

13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I only use Parallels for running the Vectric software I use for CAD/CAM for my CNC machine. (the computer that actually controls the CMC machine in my shop is the only Windows native computer I own. Vectric has not been amenable to native MacOS code, despite many of us asking for it, so we run it virtually. Everything else I use MacOS native or cloud services...Office 365 in the forumer and Quickbooks in the latter category, for example.

BTW, the native MacOS version of Quicken got hugely better a couple years ago so the Windows version of that got tossed here.

That all said, my latest Mac is a 2019 machine, so it will be years before the whole M1 chip and what comes next is going to matter to me personally. My Mid-2010 iMac and Mid-2012 MBPr13 still run like new machines and the 2019 MBP 15" is excellent.

14. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Hey Buddy,

I did not bother to read the numerous responses to your original post. I have a "early 2015" MAC Book Pro, though it is not 5 years old. I'm going to guess I bought it new three years ago, so it was current at the time. It's flawless. I also have iMAC desktop that I bought about two years ago. It too is flawless. My question would be, why is Apple switching from Intel?

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks for all the info/perspectives. Gonna hold off until at least the new iMacs and maybe longer until the bugs/comparability stuff gets sorted.

Would still like to hear opinions from those that are taking the plunge now/soon.

Thanks all,
    Geoff

Pasta Player and Jared Purdy like this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Intel has not been able to solve 'the heat problem'.. essentially when you do computations on a chip, it is work, the work creates heat. Heat impacts performance negatively, so, not managing heat efficiently is bad and getting more efficient processing is more difficult. Further, managing energy is also impacted. What Apple can do in the future with the ARM style processor gives them latitude to innovate where they did not see that on Intel's roadmap.

there is less of a problem with software running as more things become cloud based and for most applications that you HAVE to have windows, you can run SAAS cheaply and efficiently. To go to the future, you have to abandon a lot of the past or you end up with a big mess and your architecture becomes stodgy and littered with yesterday's missteps.

The things they want to do next call for sleek and fast and elegant (apple stuff) and for that to come to pass they have to have fast, efficient and lots of control over power management. The intel move was smart when they made it, and now the market and their place in it has changed and so they need to change too.

Any major shift that Apple has ever done results in this thread. It is always how stupid and mean they are and how everyone is going to wait etc etc etc... I saw a great quote the other day... "Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done." Fantastic. Like you, I have had really good luck with apple products. I retired from there in 2011, so I'm not 'in the know' anymore, but I can see some of the moves and understand them.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  17. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

According to all the experts in the media and also Apple it is so that there is better integration with iPhone and iPad. That's someting I am in favour of. It's great being able to do swap between devices seemlessly. At the moment I have a 2013 iMac that has just got to the point where it no longer gets new OS updates, won't run SUR, but even having the ability to easily transfer work from that machine to my iPad is a boon. To be able to link Pads, phones and desktop/laptops seemlesly with virtually identical interfaces will be great. Last computer course I did was in 1970 learning how to programme mainframes with punch cards, that killed off any interest I had in the tech side of computers. My interest is as a user who wants things to run easily on all my devices and not have to worry about why something does or does not work. I've used Apple's since the old 512K machine and they have never let me down or caused me to ring up an "expert" to get something fixed.

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

With salsa!

Pasta Player likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The whole seamless thing gets buggered when you have a family. The whole Apple family share thing is a mess. My wife, son, and I have our photos, music, and other stuff hopelessly muddled.

20. Alex335

Alex335 TDPRI Member

To me the best bang for the buck is still the mac mini, upgrade the ram/ssd yourself otherwise apple will rip you off, get a screen for super cheap and there you have it, amazing performance for a decent cost

Rockinvet and Fearnot like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.