1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New MACs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    This thread reminds me, I own Apple stock.

;)

imwjl, getbent and Pasta Player like this.
  2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I got a refurb iMac early into the pandemic thing because I started fooling around with video a bit more and the render times in Final Cut Pro X on my 2012 Mini were horrendous. And, I had read about the chipset change and basically figured I'd get my moneys worth out of an Intel system. With the bigger iMac, you can add your own memory, and I figure the refurb discount paid for 64GB of RAM upgrade. Still, a deep breath to pull that trigger, but I get so much use out of these things... (My 2010 MBP still works, though it doesn't have much to do these days, honestly...)

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I do alot of Apple repairs , but I cant wrap my head around the money grabs and lack of service from them

Imacs have a magnetic screen so to repkace is a snap , the thin line have a sealed screen that gets destroyed if you try to open it , which you have to do to change a hard drive and you have to purchase a new seal from apple , I too am an apple guy 5 towers , 3 laptops ,an Ipad, 3 Imacs I love the functionality but the new direction really is expensive and counter intuitive becoming impractical on all levels.

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am an Android and PC guy but I have to admit the new Mini interests me and I will probably get one once they have been out a while.

5. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I'm waiting for when new iMacs with the new chip arrive, bound to happen now that laptops have been announced. Not keen on laptops so won't be going down that road. At least the new chips are proven performers in iPads and iPhones.

6. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Interesting point. Apple definitely seems to have put the emphasis on sleek-looking product at the expense of good old "open the box and swap out the defective component" design. OK, the IIci and related models from the late 1980s were just beige boxes, but you could drop in a new PSU in minutes, even if you weren't a tech.

Apple has also got too quick off the mark when it comes to forcing users to adopt the latest technology. I went to download a new copy of GarageBand earlier – because I wanted to help someone else on this forum optimise their settings – and discovered it will only run on Big Sur. As a lot of the audio interface manufacturers haven't released compatible software drivers yet, that seems a little foolish.

Pasta Player and 24 track like this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's not a nice thing to say.

Is it a PPC?

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I can't wrap my head around that or might not understand that. For context, I'm responsible for the management and lifespan of hundreds of systems and devices, and we help our nearly 1000 employees. What I do is also audited and watched.

On money grab, we have lots of Apple stuff because of overall cost and reliability over life of the products. On service, the Apple, Cisco, and HPE purchases we make are best. The authorized independent service provider and Apple Stores we use in two metro areas do a superb job.

Not many businesses or individuals buy generic aka white box or custom PCs anymore. Even the first tier towers we still buy for some applications get whole motherboards replaced for in and out of warranty. The HP and Dell mini PCs I buy are made quite like a Mac mini.

Some of the computer points and arguments get like the automobile ones where a few people are espousing we all stick with a 1977 or 1993 model when most people are driving newer stuff.

It's also worth being aware of Apple's recycling efforts. They have robots that recover far more from newer products made in new ways even if I don't repair then the way I used to. At scale what Apple _and_ others are doing is practical but it's different. If I were only a hobbyist it would not make as much sense.

24 track likes this.
  9. 24 track

I get some of Apples direction but others allude me like , I understand that Apple incepted a protocol on Iphones where the screen and the battery are serial locked , meaning the phone will not work if the battery or the screen's serial numbers dont match , while this may seam like a weird corporate move to make ,it makes sence when people were buying Iphones replacing the screens and batteries with 3rd party parts then returning the phones back to Apple. then placing the real Apple batteries and screens in Iphone clones and passing them off as the real deal.

its their planned obsolesence that i dont grock, and no support or better yet no right to repair corporate philosophy.

Pasta Player likes this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The phone or a tablet screen is an input device. You might not be considering or understand security, encryption, and some compliance standards.

Some things we do with computing devices need to have schemas for being tamper proof and some just should.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  11. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Believe me, the smart folks that can create groovy electronic stuff also know how to save just the right amount of money upfront ... things are pretty finely tuned ...

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  12. 24 track

on my 5 Mac g5's all loaded to the nutz with many terrabyte harddrives and maxed ram I have 10 terrabytes of programs on harddrives and much more in waiting that all work with full licencing , I made sure I had all i would need till i saw what direction Apple was going in , but as it stands I learned never to upgrade the recording compter farm if you want to keep what you have.

Pasta Player likes this.
  13. 24 track

punch it in on youtube ,it should be easy to find

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

People get excited. They want to see what is new and if it is better or a different take on what they are used to OR something doesn't work quite right (or at all) and upgrading will fix it.

If you setup works, don't rush to upgrade. I've been running Big Sur for awhile.. lots of subtle new stuff and it makes it fun to see what they thought of... so far, so good.

I have a recording box that is cruising on Mojave for the moment... it all works and all the vendors work with it, no sweat. The vendors will catch up with drivers etc and the foray into making their own chips is really just exasperation with Intel.

Sometime I will share my experience in a meeting with Intel when Apple decided to move to Intel. It was a classic Charley Brown meeting... but not for the 'oh no Apple is doing something' thread, ha ha!

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

A mini might sway me in a few months time. Let the wrinkles iron out a bit.

A factory restore and big memory upgrade of my older big iMac was like getting a new computer anyway.

16. 24 track

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Pasta Player and jvin248 like this.
  17. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

I wouldn't bother until the second gen, right now not many 3rd party apps work with big sur (so I am told) why spend that much money for a headache?

Pasta Player likes this.
  18. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I don't know a damn thing about this stuff, but I have a brother with a PhD in computer science from Stanford who does. He always advises to shoot behind the duck. I'd like to know if the prices on the last intel machines will drop.

Pasta Player likes this.
  19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I needed an upgrade to my 2009 MBP, but the new offerings put me off a bit... I instead got a 2015 refurbished model. I don't like the massive touchpad or that strip at the top, the inability to upgrade the drive. If you're interested in being able to multiboot I'd stay away from the new ARM chips, likewise with apps... There's supposed to be the Rosetta compatibility layer for running X86_64 apps on the new design, but IME they seldom work 100%.

20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've been running Reaper on a refurbished, used Mac PowerBook that I bought from a reseller. It's been great, super easy, no driver issues at all, sticking with Catalina OS for now.

I am old enough to remember mainframes, VAX VMS, Harris OS, programming in Fortran, even used PDP 8s. Apple's "Think Different" approach was truly revolutionary. Just as most car drivers know nothing about how to fix a car, most computer users could just drive them and didn't have to know how to fix them.

But over time I think they've lost their way a bit. So much crap loaded onto their apps now. I saw Rick Beato's rant about it and couldn't agree more. Another part of how they've lost their way is that their support of earlier version OS and earlier version 3rd party apps is getting worse and worse. It's probably planned obsolescence for greater profits that's happening here. If they didn't build in planned obsolescence then how are they ever going to get me to buy a new computer or new iPhone when the one I have does a peachy job? But it sucks.

However, I also went the opposite direction for a little while-- building a Linux box and running the REAPER Linux version. Getting that to work right required all my knowledge and I still hit lots of barriers that took lots of playing around and Interweb sleuthing to figure out.

Obviously people do have good results using PCs for their DAWs, and presumably I could figure out any driver issues (eventually). If Apple keeps building all kinds of social media marketing crap into their apps, and building more planned obsolescence features into their designs (including constantly changing, proprietary ports necessitating ever more "dongles"), they may just push me back over to the PC side....especially if PCs from name brands like Dell, HP, and Acer can get a bit better at integrating all their components so that there aren't all those stupid driver and component handshake issues that have to be trouble-shot by the user.

To put it another way, by losing their way Apple is losing its ease-of-use attractiveness and multi-year longevity, two things that justified the higher prices (as well as nicer displays). If the big brand PC sellers can increase their ease-of-use/seamlessness, while maintaining better standard I/O and better repair-ability, with better screens, then Apple is going to lose market share, big time.

For work we almost all use PCs-- Dells, mostly. I've seen them get better over the years, but am still surprised at stupid issues like crappy initial drivers for their Thunderbolt-based docking stations, batteries that literally expand and start splitting the laptop case open, etc. Basic QA/QC stuff that makes you wonder how the hell they get ranked at #1 or close to it in sales and quality when they could be so much better. Old Apple (new Apple not so much) was also known for not putting something out there that wasn't pretty darn solid-- both on the hardware and on the software side.

black_doug, 24 track and Pasta Player like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.