1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New MACs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Anybody here following the announcement/reviews?

I’m in the market to replace my geriatric iMac and am wondering if it is worth waiting until they release iMacs with the new silicon chips rather than going with the current Intel equipped models.

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

String Tree likes this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer the germanium chips myself.

Seriously, I've been a Mac guy for 25 years, but I have deep reservations about paying that much for computers with soldered-in, non-upgradable RAM and SSD. I think I'm going to work the older machines for awhile.

4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

FWIW I’m mainly looking at the new machine to run Logic/ music stuff.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Pasta Player and xtelesquirex like this.
  5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

With these new Macs, you better buy Apple Care given the unrepairable nature of the unit. I got a 2019 MBP and not much one can do if a component goes south on you. No point-to-point wiring here!!!

mojek and Pasta Player like this.
  6. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

You might hold off for a bit, or at least look up your various bits of gear and their potential compatibility issues with the new M1s.

Have to say it's disappointing to see Apple walk back from an era in which Intel chips made them easier to justify. Feels like a step back to the RISC and disingenuous-benchmarks era.

WalthamMoosical and Pasta Player like this.
  7. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Absolute best advice, above.

Yet I am sure that certain Apple stockholders here may advise differently.

8. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

The latest OS, Big Sur, is optimized for their new chips, so if I were to going to buy a new one I might wait. But I would wait until they came out, and were out long enough to confirm that the hardware and software I like to use works with them. I love my Macs, and they have lasted longer without hastle than any of my previous PCs, but I'm on my third recording interface because previous updates rendered then incompatible.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I have one on the way. Gonna be super fast. Unfortunately, Intel continues to battle heat and refuses to look at the problem in different ways.

10. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

For all things computer... THEY need you to buy the latest stuff... YOU don't need to buy the latest stuff. The latest/greatest stuff always has the highest cost. I am a big fan of buying computers that were sent out to lease when new, when the lease is up, they get sent back to the leasing company, the leasing company sells them by the pallet load to used computer places... Then you and I get awesome deals on technology that is only a couple years old by buying from the folks who buy computers by the pallet load and sell them online (hundreds of these types of companies). That's the only way I ever buy computers (towers or laptops).

Apple needs you to buy the latest/greatest most expensive stuff as soon as it comes out, but rarely does anyone ever need the new thing they come out with. What do you do with a computer? Answer emails and write in forums? Record 24-track recording studio professional tracks, do mix-downs and professional mastering? Make super hi-res videos published for national broadcast? Some people buy a nuclear weapon computer and do BB gun level processing. Its so easy to over-spend on computers. That's what Apple is hoping for... don't think, don't wait, buy compulsively, buy the newest most expensive stuff and play "keep up with the Joneses" with yourself...

I have the same similar philosophy when buying guitars. I don't usually buy brand new off the shelf latest/greatest guitars. Again, brand new is the most expensive. Plus, with music gear as soon as you walk out of the store the item is now used. Unless you buy from a store that gives you a grace period to take it home and if you don't like it can bring it back... you lose about +/-30% buying new guitars, amps, and pedals as soon as you walk out of the store.

You'll be more than fine by buying a computer that is 1-3 years old technology. The biggest take away here is... they need you to keep buying the most expensive stuff as it comes out... but you don't need that latest/greatest technology to do everyday computing.

So do a little research, figure out what technology they released in the last 1-3 years, and save yourself a ton of money to spend on guitars and gear... :)

kLyon, Greggorios, Rocky058 and 7 others like this.
  11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

politics of Apple aside here are some considerations ...
    pros:
    you do get access to iOS apps and they will run natively
    battery life will improve drastically
    cons:
    Intel-based software will not be running natively and ymmv as to how well things will work and what the performance hit will be
    first generation of a new platform

simoncroft likes this.
  12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd wait to see how the machines with the new M1 chip do for awhile.

I have an older iMac that runs just as good as it did on day 1.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

An Apple user since 1982. I too would advise holding off on the new version until they sort it out. A typical year's worth of sorting is typical for any computer manufacturer introducing such a large change.

Full disclosure: stock holder and early vested involvement last century too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My heart is saying order the M1 Air, my brain says M1 MacBook Pro. I'll get something but am picking other fights this and next week.

The amount of space in the upgraded mini makes me wonder if that and laptops will have a new physical design soon.

I'm concerned about virtualization but not with popular apps. Other concerns brought up are meh to me. People who want to build generic computers can head to the shop on other side of Highway 14. On running IOS apps, I have an understanding app design and touch manipulation is an issue for now.

I'm sure an iMac will come and I love having a 27 inch Retina but the mini and a good third party 4k display will be modestly priced. I think more people will look at at computing differently soon. For me Intel will be my Nutanix clusters and premises servers. My phone's one of my main computers. I already bought 50+ solid state AMD desktop minis everyone loves. The Mini is almost competitive with them on price.

What's really too bad is software. The more and more rotten Microsoft and Intel should have cut off old crap like Apple does sooner. Much of my day was fighting with two important legacy programs that won't work in the 64 bit world.

15. imwjl

On wait.... It's new phone vs computer but a friend has teased me about my problems all week. His saying he waits for version 2.2.1 of everything. After Apple released 14.2.1 today the phone I got 6 days ago could keep a phone call understandable after a next tower handoff. Now my old phone's LTE is slower than 5G.

I'm sure the new laptops will be fine for most and especially SOHO users.

16. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

My Mac Pro is 10 years old now, and it's still an A/V beast, capable of running 32+ tracks of audio with large numbers of plug-ins in Logic Pro 10.6. But the machine that's right for you depends on what you want to do with it, as others have highlighted.

The folks who have suggested it's probably best to hold off from buying a new machine right now are right. The M1 generation will never be as expensive as they are today, and Big Sur (OS 11) is not fully supported by a lot of application developers.

17. imwjl

Which flavor? I was hoping for rebirth of 12" MacBook. I'm torn on Air vs Pro vs shut up and address a bunch of other challenges. I'll probably order Airs for two users to start. They don't do anything but web apps, Teams and desktop Office.

TDPRI is bad enough with time and I'm completely re-doing phone systems which really means networks now. I have to do some play and guitar time. I don't want to be cutting edge or fooling around too much when I should not or don't have to. My own new system would be a time waster.

Greggorios likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

This is a great point. As new Systems are released, there are plenty of application softwares that are not quite ready nor updated. Good reason to hold off. There is a pre predicted group that want the latest and greatest now, but the wise hold off for a bit.

BTW, software development coinciding with a new system release is an enormous effort by the company and third party software developers, but that work never attains 100%.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  19. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

A thread started on Strat-Talk by someone who installed Big Sur and was really disappointed that his UA audio interface stopped working. If he'd paid a visit to UA's web site, and those of any other application developers he might need to consider, he have found a lot of them are saying "hold off until our software is ready". UA is one of many companies who don't have Sur-compatible software right now.

Pasta Player, imwjl and Obsessed like this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

for no apparent reason my power book died for no apparent reason the told me , tough luck sucker your warranty recently ended,
    sod off .

So I've switched to an H.P Omen desk top, it is a beast . I will not run logic but oh, how it runs.

radiocaster and Pasta Player like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.