New love for my phaser pedal!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Del Pickup, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a Red Witch Moon Phaser for a few years and always used it to get a rotary speaker type tone with it set to the 'tremophase' setting. It does a good simulation - as far as my ears can tell.

However, I recently went back to listening to some early Richard Thompson songs and he seemed to use some phaser sounds particularly on rhythm guitar parts. So I started fiddling with the settings on the pedal and focussed on the 3 different phaser settings and have found some really useable phase settings that seem to work well both for rhythm and lead work.

It can really add something to rhythm sounds when used sparingly.

Anyone else use their phasers much??

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I do. I love my phaser. I think it is best used very lightly... it is a sound that you can play if you know what I mean.....

When I do more rock type stuff, I really like it... cool phaser stuff can be found (in a rock context) on the You can't argue with a sick mind cd by Joe Walsh... He and Felder both use it the way I like it...

3. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, subtlety is the key to getting maximum use out of this effect! Too much phasey swooshing can be a very bad thing...........

4. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

For me its a 74 reissue Phase 90. Set the knob at 1 of 3 positions
    9:00 VanHalen
    11:00 Gilmour
    1:00 Waylon

Total classic.

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Big +1 to the 74 Script Reissue Phase 90. I recently did some various pedal mods for my boss, and he paid me with a new phaser. It immediately replaced my modded recent-model Phase 90.

That RI is a thing of beauty - amazing what you can do with one knob.

I tend to think of the 9 o'clock position as "Hole in My Life".

With my Nashville Tele, the bridge/middle pickup combo plus the Phase 90 = Little Feat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.