New Level of Pain

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In my 12th year of cidp-produced nerve pain, and 4th year of rheumatoid arthritis. The neuropathy is based in the legs, while the arthritis bothers me most in the hands, shoulders, and spine. Lately, I have sometimes had the sensation of a pain loop between my shoulders and down the spine. It's a combination of funny bone, tooth nerve, and electrical pain. It can feel like it is never going away.

Yesterday was a new low, with this new pain pattern all ramped up with no end in sight. That feeling of eternal pain is terrifying and I'll do just about anything to relieve it. Yesterday, after I had exhausted all of my prescription pain relievers and I was still stuck in a loop, I had the sudden and highly surprising urge to put black pepper on my tongue. What the?! I successfully resisted doing that, but, man, I came close. It wasn't a considered, thought-out response to the pain, as it just came out of nowhere (the urge to put black pepper on my tongue). I'm glad I didn't follow through on that, as who knows how I would be feeling now, tongue-wise.

2. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I am so sorry to hear about this Larry. There is nothing I can do to help the pain, but it is important to know that I, and every other person on TDPRI, think highly of you and we are wishing you the best.

RoscoeElegante, djh22, Jim622 and 8 others like this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry it hurts so bad. I truly wish it was better. I don’t know if you’ve gotten second and third and fourth opinions from various physicians but I would encourage it.

I had problems with two vertebrae that were causing extreme sciatic pain in my legs. An athletic focused ortho doc prescribed opioids and claimed that people grow out of the problem and the surgery rarely worked. Two years later I started seeing ortho surgeons and two agreed that I was a perfect candidate for laminectomy spine surgery.

Removing some bone from two vertebrae removed all the pain.

You may be seeing all sorts of Doctors; I don’t know what I don’t know. I’m just offering encouragement for you to gather all the information and opinions that you can.

All the best to you.

TeleTucson and tubedood like this.
  4. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

That's awful to hear Larry. Not trying to be funny, but have you tried cannabis or cbd? Cannabis edibles help my chronic pain issues tremendously and have the added side effect of making my guitar playing sound better. To me at least.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear this, and I wish I had a fool-proof solution.....but I don't. :(
    I AM curious about the black pepper....is that that a "thing"?
    Or, is that a "black powder" euphemism?

6. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

It's that time of year when arthritis rears it's ugly head again. Sorry for your pain.

7. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I am sorry to hear of your pain Dr. Larry. For the last 16 months I've had my share as well. New aortic valve replacement....botched! Repair by a Master Surgeon in New Orleans thank the Lord. Probably $200K changed hands on all that. Now a knee scope that is KILLING ME. No position I can get in to sleep. To top it off Satan sent me Toe Gout in opposite foot the other day.
    Living through Modern Chemistry.......
    Keep on pluggin' my man.

uriah1 likes this.
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

I can relate to the arthritis pain, as both my knees are affected, with the right nearing bone to bone contact, which has caused my bursa to swell to "golf ball" proportions. Anytime I change position, such as bent to straight, I get a painful reminder. Climbing stairs is brutal, so I avoid as much as possible, but even curbs cause me to wince.

I self-medicate, for a good nights sleep, by ending my day with a double whiskey on the rocks. Puts me out like a light for at least 5 - 6 hours. During daylight I just have to gut it out.

Hopefully the drug manufacturers will continue to use their profits to research more ways to alleviate pain, so they can charge us $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Best of luck, Larry.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Man that sucks … a lot .

10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Pain is a thief of concentration, focus & energy with which I am all too familiar. It can also play havoc with one's emotions. Hang in there, get as much rest as you can!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

So sorry to read this Larry. I have nothing to add to what the others said except to send you my thoughts and hope that it will get better soon!

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  12. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear of this Larry. My pain experience is no where near yours. You do have my sympathy and prayers. They do work, as I can testify to that. Transplant surgery is an ugly bummer for those who have it done. I’m beginning to see the light.
    I just hope you can find some relief.
    And please enlighten us on the pepper thing.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All my best, Larry, my teacher and unmet friend. I'd take away your pain if I knew how.

uriah1 likes this.
  14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I was completely caught off guard by the black pepper concept. I don't know why I thought of it. I wanted a huge distraction from the existing pain, by creating a new kind of pain to focus on. I wanted relief fast. I'm not a suicide-oriented person (obvious I guess) but this was the second time when, if I had quick access to a gun or other means of death/relief, I would scare the hell out of myself with the temptation of the moment.

The thing about these two moments was that they seemed infinitely looped, with no escape. Fortunately, I now have two examples of successfully breaking out of such a loop. The solution was time. What fun it was to ride those out.

15. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Very sorry to hear your suffering Larry. Hopefully you can find some temporary natural relief.

Though you suffer compound issues - I also live with RA. The pain can remind me how I sorely miss my youth! I've grown quite thankful for the good days.

16. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

@Larry F - funny (not) to see this, as I just got off keyboard w/ message exchange w/ staff from sport med ofc about a discouraging referral appt w/ the big-deal neuro (he was over 90 min late, wholly unprepared, ignored my "I'm not here for drugs" - here's a scrip...) and didn't tell me about the pain clinic referral he set up for me. What am I to say? "Thanks?"

It can be a challenge on how to most effectively relay "what's going on down there" w/o sounding dramatic.
    Yes, I've reflected on the early exit plan, too, but I don't think that's a useful thing to tell somebody who already has a rather high threshold for (my) pain.

TDPRI may have better ideas about next steps for pain relief than the guys I've been seeing - I have the strong suspicion they are just guessing.
    Peace - Deeve

BetterPainChart.jpg

KWal and Larry F like this.
  17. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Sorry to hear. Best wishes to ya, Larry.

Just got your book in the mail yesterday. Great work, I can't wait to spend some time with it. I just hope I never drop the thing on my foot, it is quite the tome!=)

P Thought likes this.
  18. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Ah, Larry, I empathize. When I have good days I try to accept them as good days 'cus sure as shootin' the bad pain days are going to come. I can't understand your pain as everyone experiences pain differently but I know the limit you're at. Take deep breaths, my friend. Maybe watch 'The Blues Brothers'. The biggest pain relief we have is distraction, if even for a short time. And don't give in to that 'eternity of pain' thinking. There are always new treatments being developed, new ways to treat the pain. I've gone from the worst I can imagine to where I can stand it now, over the years, so that's a good thing.

I was telling someone who asked me what my chronic pain was like. I was telling them, and telling them that the worst time of day was at night, when I was going to sleep. You know, the time you're alone with your pain and there's no distractions. I said 'the worst time is at night when I finally get some sleep, and then I wake up with the same pain I went to bed with'. Mrs. Idjster, overhearing, then said, 'Yes, but sometimes I get up before he does!'

Take care, my friend.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  19. ssfarm

ssfarm TDPRI Member

Larry

add hi-sigla to your current relief scheme of medicine. This really works and helps going forward.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

How do you know your body wasn't telling you the right thing to do?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.