New Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Wild Willy, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

My new 50’s p90. These guitars are amazing! The neck on mine is on the thinner side not quite 60’s. It sounds and looks amazing. I spent an hour looking for in perfections. Not nada nothing. Clean as a whistle. If you get a chance give them a try, you want regret it.

Attached Files:

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!
    I have a P90 qold top, too

rze99 likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Me too. Can’t go wrong.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Happy New Guitar Day!

I once had a '68 LP GT with P-90's. I've always regretted selling that guitar.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have been sneaking looks at those since they came out. my concern is that the neck might not suit me. I do think there is one in a shop nearby, so I've got to check it out.

a friend of mine has owned 3 56 reissues and I was crazy about them, but they were always out of my reach.

please, come back and give us a post-honeymoon review?

it looks great!

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a looker; contgrats!

7. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

That’s a real beauty! And P90s are things of sonic beauty, nice choice. Congrats!

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2018 LPclassic with P90's I love it!

9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Im not a Les Paul fan, but thats the dream LP for me. Gold top, P90's.. congrats

10. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

I have had it a while. I can tell you it don’t disappoint. This one is a end of year start of the new year model. Gibson has been following the auto model of production release in August since 2014. It’s a solid body not weight relieve. It screams when pushed. I use A twin or blues breaker when playing out. Think Bob And the silver bullet. It cleans up nice. I play a lot of country music in certain clubs so I need a clean sound. My neck is a cross between a 50/60’s size. I know because I have owned 50’s model Gibson guitars. Gold tops have been my favorite guitars since I was a kid. My dad owned a 56’ my cousin owns a 57. I like the 56 RI. But that price is stupidly expensive. From 3 ft away you can’t tell much difference. Roll back the tone and she’s got the blues nailed. I can’t ever see selling this guitar. So yeah you get the chance snag one. I must say thank god gibson got rid of the hideous zero fret brass nut, no binding deal. I’m a traditional type of guy.

11. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Same. I probably won’t ever buy a LP, but given the opportunity, I’d steal one like that.

Congrats! And enjoy.

12. John C

As an FYI Gibson is no longer going to do the "model years" under their new management. This model, the "Original Series" 50s LP Standard with P90s, was shown at the NAMM show in January and finally shipped (along with all of Gibson's revised lineup) at the end of April.

You are correct that the body on these models from the Original Series are not weight relieved. They do call the neck "50s style" but they are a bit smaller than that really large 50s shape used on the Historic models.

13. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

One of these is my next guitar

thunderbyrd likes this.
  15. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's a beauty! Gibson does seem to have upped their game. Bought a 2019 LP Jr earlier this year after gassing for one for years. Just love it and glad I waited.

Wild Willy likes this.
  16. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

I’m glad to here that. Now I know my sales guy is lying to me. I still wish I could figure out production numbers of certain models. But anyway it’s an awesome guitar and I can’t see wasting money on a 56ri when you can save a butt load of cash lol.

17. John C

Gibson under Henry was kind of crazy - with the annual model year deal (and the models coming out in late August/early September). They did do a "2019 Model Year" that came out about this time last year. I assume that those models were already lined up and into full-swing production because Henry was forced out as owner last summer. The new management team decided to move away from the "Model Year" system and brought out their lineup at the NAMM show - and finally shipping them in late April.

Your guitar is from that revised lineup - they have an "Original Collection" of 3 LP Standards (50s with humbuckers, 50s with P90s, and 60s with humbuckers of course), an LP Jr., an LP Special, 3 versions of the SG Standard '61 (stop tailpiece, Maestro vibrato and sideways vibrato), SG Jr., SG Special, Firebird, Explorer and V (plus a couple of basses).

They also have a "Modern Collection" that carried forward some of the "2019 Model Year" models - LP Classic, LP Studio, LP Tribute, LP Jr. Doublecut Tribute, SG Standard, SG Tribute, a "B-2" V and "B-2" Explorer. They added an "LP Modern", "SG Modern", and an LP Special Doublecut Tribute.

The "Modern" models in the "Modern Collection" are new models - they have some of the features of the "2019 Model Year" HP models but not others - most importantly the current "LP Modern" and "SG Modern" don't have the wider nut width/metal nuts found on the prior HP models (and the wiring is somewhat stripped down from the 2019 Model Year HPs).

Also Gibson did kind of learn their lesson from the 2015 Model Year - when all of them had the really wide necks, metal nuts, GForce (robot) tuners, etc. For the 2016 Model Year they had 2 complete series - a "High Performance" or "HP" series with the wider necks, metal nuts, GForce tuners, etc. and a "Traditional" or "T" series with normal neck widths, tuners, etc. They did the same for the 2017 Model Year (2 series), but for the 2018 Model Year they cut the HP series down to just 2 models - an LP and an SG (but they brought out "HP2" models with locking tuners instead of robot tuners mid-year), and the 2019 Model Year was the same way but the 2019 HP models had the locking tuners instead of the robot tuners.

hdvades likes this.
  18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Beautiful gold top!

Congratulations!

19. deus56

deus56 TDPRI Member

That is one classy looking axe
    Congrats!!!!

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sweet!
    I have the po'boy Tribute model and I LOVE it.
    I put a DeArmond Dyna in the neck slot.
    I just gigged it last weekend.
    If it was my only guitar, I'd be fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.