New Les Paul + Mods

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by itsGiusto, Oct 12, 2020.

1. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

I've been looking daily for months on various sites to try to find that perfect deal - a relatively cheap, used, non-weight-relieved Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s with a not super-bright cherry sunburst finish and a beautiful flame. I saw there was one for a month at a Guitar Center in NH. I finally was up in that region and went to see it, and it was everything I wanted! And it still even has the new-Les-Paul-cake-smell!

Like any good LP, it seems like it takes on subtly different coloration depending on different lighting. More red, more brown, more amber, shades of violet. And also, no photo does it justice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is in the lineup!
    [​IMG]

You can see it here next to my workhorse LP studio, which I've had since 2005. I'd been using it to try to copy the setup to the new one, to get it to feel loose and slinky, how I like it.
    [​IMG]

Time to take it home and mess it up!
    I spent all weekend taking it apart and installing Grover 502c Rotomatic locking tuners, and Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers. I used the 4c Seth Lovers and put in coil splits on each tone knob, and the bridge volume knob reverses phase for a honky out of phase Peter Green sound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know some people might not agree with the Grovers, but honestly, I hate Klusons, they're so stiff and difficult, and most of the people who played Les Pauls back in the day were taking them off and putting in Grovers anyway. And I feel like if locking tuners existed back then, people would have been using them, too! Also, the Grovers didn't require any modification to install, the holes were sized alright.

Here's with the grovers installed:
    [​IMG]

Only downside so far is that I may need to get the nut replaced. The high E string snapped between the nut and the tuner (prior to my Grover replacements) when I was tuning at one point, when adjusting the tailpiece. I think the previous owner might have had issues with that nut being cut too deep, cause the groove is kinda black, presumably with graphite.

I feel pretty lucky, this is like the 2nd prettiest guitar I've ever even seen, and it was so cheap for a Gibson! At least, it was much cheaper than getting it new (and as a bonus, no sales tax in NH). The prettiest was another LP at another Guitar Center, but it was $6k, so there's no chance of that happening. This is a photo of that one:
    [​IMG]

I really love that vibrant hue. Maybe the lighting also has something to do with it. I feel like in those super-high end Guitar Center cases, they have specialized lighting to make it look amazing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.