1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Lead III I want to do away with the toggles and add a three way switch

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by AVGGreg, Oct 26, 2020.

1. AVGGreg

AVGGreg NEW MEMBER!

I just ordered a new pickguard from pickguards WD Music for a three way and getting rid of the Two Toggles and I am also adding an electro socket ...has anyone done this and what wires am I going to have to solder together so that I will have them both full humbucking and just neck only, both, and then just bridge pickup rocking ...those toggles get in my way ...I host the Fender Lead Series Guitar Fans Lead I,II and III page on FB and all of my Leads have been modded one way or another !!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t have a Lead model but I recently rewired a two humbucker guitar with no switch at all. I did it with two volume pots like a jazz bass. So I can use neck, bridge, or blend them as much or as little as I want. Works for me because I have zero need for a tone pot. It’s a fun setup.

Another way to do it would be to use a volume pot and a pan pot.

3. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

I'm sure there isn't a mod that hasn't been tried, but this makes me wonder how a three single coil / three volume strat would go.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

These new Lead IIIs are using the same pickups as other Player Series models. While Fender hasn't put up the "service manual" for the Player series Leads yet they do have the manual for the Player Tele HH - it's wired to a 3-way plus a push-pull to split the pickups. But it should be helpful assuming they didn't change the wire colors between the Tele and the Lead III:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/SM_014523XXXX_Telecaster_HH_Rev_A.pdf

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I tried a pan pot on a different guitar and didn't like it. the end positions give full volume to its associated pickup. the middle gives both pickups but with a series resistance in each of 125k or so

another thought is a rotary switch... tons of choices there. the down side is.... tons of choices, not all are worthy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.