new kinda scam?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fleezinator, Oct 14, 2021.

1. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

Got an email confirmation to a streaming subscription service trial that I didn't initiate. My email addy was used but on the account it was not my name & not any of my online aliases either. I signed in & changed the password.

In my rage & haste, I thought that to mess back with the person trying to extend trials indefinitely by using other people's emails, I'd go ahead and just charge their card to the full annual subscription. Yeah! Got em! Right? But then my much smarter than me wife mentioned that the card is probably stolen anyways, which in retrospect seems way more plausible. So I cancelled the sub.

Any one seen this type of activity before?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't know about all that but.... these days one must question EVERYTHING that even smells suspicious! About 6 months ago I went to buy a CRAZY deal on a Dewalt 1/2" impact hammer, on ebay, from a USA seller with positive feedback. I bought it and almost immediately ebay cancelled the order and sent me an email stating the seller was a scammer :eek::eek::eek::eek: Wha???? Well... turns out, they were right and while they did catch em, they didn't catch the CC charge and recommended I call my CC Co. to get it resolved. I did exactly this, immediately, and Amex launched an investigation, cancelled my old card, issued me a new card with new account and, in the end, refunded my $$$ and went after the scammer :cool: Just sayin'... one cannot be too careful these days. And shout out to Ebay and Amex for kickin' it! :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Obsessed and Steve Holt like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A coworker got signed up to something (by a scammer) recently and like you, went in to the account created in her name, and changed the password.

4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

Seems like this is pretty common. People get bonuses for referrals, which encourages them to use farmed email addresses to sign up for services. I have been added to many subscription newsletters that I know I did not sign up for. Major source for SPAM.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know about this specifically, but I understand you should NEVER respond in any way to something that looks like "phishing". If you reply, even to decline, you're confirming your email is an active one. Simply calling back a message left by a telephone solicitor will allow them to claim a "relationship" with you, allowing them to bombard you with calls....the same may work with email phishing. When I get stuff like that, I simply delete and ignore. And if you do somehow get charged for something, deal ONLY with your credit card people.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    JL_LI likes this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

One of my wife's email account is a common word with a number. We get stuff all the time using it. I think some people just write something down, valid or not, and we get a few of those.

So far, no purchases, so...

7. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

On any commercial or business email look at the sender’s email address and reply address.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.