New Kid in Town

Old Guitar Man

TDPRI Member
Hi from the Old Guitar Man. I got my first guitar on Feb 19th, 1964 after watching all those girls scream at the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I was 14 at the time. I thought I need to get a guitar FAST! It was a German made Klira strat style covered in Red Naugahyde. I finally purchased my first professional level guitar in 1988. It was a 1952 Butterscotch Tele reissue. After 34 years, it is still my favorite guitar to play. It has a very slim and fast neck. It has very few nicks and scratches on it. I have been slowly wearing the finish off of the fret board. I consider the fretboard wear a badge of honor because I wore it off with my own four fingers. It didn't come that way from the factory. I am now the proud owner of several other guitars, including a 1988 Gibson Les Paul, a Fender pro series Strat and a Gibson ES-335. I played in a band around Portland OR for a short time. I play at a few open mics but mostly just for my own enjoyment.

Last edited:

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Welcome.

1657925825046.png

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hi from the Old Guitar Man. I got my first guitar on Feb 19th, 1964 after watching all those girls scream at the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I was 14 at the time. I thought I need to get a guitar FAST! It was a German made Klira strat style covered in Red Naugahyde. I finally purchased my first professional level guitar in 1988. It was a 1952 Butterscotch Tele reissue. After 34 years, it is still my favorite guitar to play. It has a very slim and fast neck. It has very few nicks and scratches on it. I have been slowly wearing the finish off of the fret board. I consider the fretboard wear a badge of honor because I wore it off with my own four fingers. It didn't come that way from the factory. I am now the proud owner of several other guitars, including a 1988 Gibson Les Paul, a Fender pro series Strat and a Gibson ES-335. I played in a band around Portland OR for a short time. I play at a few open mics but mostly just for my own enjoyment.
Welcome aboard! I was 14 (born in 1949) in Newfoundland and also saw The Beatles on the same Ed Sullivan show. I already had a guitar. I got it for Christmas in 1963. It was an acoustic Harmony or Stella (forget which) from the Simpsons-Sears Christmas catalog and cost $17 CAD. I had already heard The Beatles on AM radio. Even though I barely knew one end of a guitar from the other, I was in a band that wouldn't grace the stage for another year or so.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Its pretty hard to imagine a naugahyde covered guitar ..... well maybe we shouldn't. Well your newer one sounds pretty cool

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Welcome to TDPRI. Another member who can identify with the '60s. Very glad you chose to join up.