1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Kate Bush Album - "Director's Cut"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by shandraster, Apr 6, 2011.

1. shandraster

shandraster Tele-Meister

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Love Kate Bush.

I also love that when critics were going "Yeah good music but she cannot make it work live" she silenced them with a world tour, JUST ONE WORLD TOUR. That was all she needed to establish herself firmly.

And from that world tour here's the song that gave her her big break.

And here she is at one of the first Prince's trust concerts backed by an all star band consisting of among others: Pete Townshend and Midge Ure on guitar, the late great Mick Karn on bass (Listen to that man play) and Phil Collins on drums. Note also Kate's Wardrobe malfunction near the end of the song.

But the funny thing about Kate Bush is how different she comes across in interviews than how she is on stage. In interviews she's actually very shy and soft spoken and very VERY English. This early nineties interview was on the original "Red Shoes" album so that ties in nicely with your opening post.

3. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Really? I'll have to check that out. I hope the mix/production is a little different; both those albums were painful to listen to in parts.

4. shandraster

shandraster Tele-Meister

I have to agree about you with Sensual World. I like a couple songs, but overall, not my go-to album. But The Red Shoes is one of my favorites. The whole thing.

It'll be interesting to see how she does the songs this time around, being ~20 years older.

5. shandraster

shandraster Tele-Meister

And I so wish I was alive back then, and in that part of the world. I'd pay anything to see her live nowadays, but that won't happen. She's too much of a recluse now.

Yes. That's something that I've always liked about her. How shy and closed off she seems to be in person, but through her music, she is much more open. Almost a different person.

Here's a short clip from when she was 15. Absolutely love this. Her shyness definitely comes across in this, too. But she's was so talented at that age, wow.

6. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Her music is really interesting. I've been meaning to listen to more of it for a while now. Can anyone suggest a good place to start? A band I dig called the Chromatics covered "Keep Running Up That Hill".

7. Rumblebones

Rumblebones Tele-Holic

I vote Hounds of Love. Nice collection of songs.

8. Mr. Esquire

Mr. Esquire Tele-Meister

A new Kate album is great news indeed. Unfortunately, The Sensual World and The Red Shoes are two of my least favorite Kate Bush records. To me, Kate has two periods: Wuthering Heights to Experiment IV and then everything else. Still, this new release might mean she is going to remaster her back catalogue and even release some DVDs. “Live at the Hammersmith Odeon” and a video collection would be great for a start. And her 1979 BBC “Christmas Special” is simply incredible.

Well, it wasn’t a world tour at all! I believe it was just 8 or 9 dates in the UK. Her tour was purported to be so expensive it never went beyond Britain.

I always thought that Kate was the most introverted of performers and artists. But also extremely intelligent. Perhaps too intellectual for a mass audience. :cool:

The title is actually, “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God).” That song is the first track from probably her most beloved album, Hounds Of Love (1985). I love the conceit that she could make a deal with God. ;) Anyway, that album is no doubt a great place to start as many consider it her greatest masterpiece. And she produced that album herself. And she even directed the video to the title track.

I believe HOL was the first time EMI (or any major label) ever allowed a female artist to produce herself. It shows just how much clout she had in England by the mid-80s. I just found out HOL was recently released on the Audio Fidelity label mastered my Steve Hoffman. He is without a doubt the most respected audiophile mastering engineer on the planet. But at $29.95 for one LP, the price is pretty steep.

Her first album was called The Kick Inside (1978) and is my favorite debut album ever. Many songs are incredibly mature (read: sexy) for a young 19 year old.

And don’t forget about the first album she produced herself, The Dreaming (1982). This is her dark masterpiece which critics (and many fans) just didn’t get at the time. It’s simply a shocking display of shrieking intensity, with some horror elements mixed in. If you’re NOT a Kate Bush fan, you’ll really hate The Dreaming. But for those of us who are, it’s one of the most imaginative masterpieces created. :!:

9. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

New Kate Bush? I'd love to hear that. :)

I always loved her stuff; definitely a bright spot during the worst of the 1980's. These are a couple of my favourite KB songs; funnily enough they're both off Hounds of Love:

10. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

always great to get anything new or different from Kate.

for those of us who have all the albums, singles, b-sides, remixes, extended plays, versions sung in French, albums with her on duets or backing vocals, etc. can't live without it.

anybody else got this?:

[​IMG]

it's her demos made before Kick Inside

and Mr Esquire, you are correct..The Dreaming is a masterpiece. my personal favorite album ever, by anyone (and i'm a huge Beatles fan)

as for live, i love that Hammersmith Odeon stuff

speaking of remixes. i love this version of "Man with the Child in His Eyes"

and the 'Alternative Hounds Of Love':

i love this a cappella b-side

and this one

she's sounds lovely singing in French

she even takes a page from the "great American song book"

love this little obscure number that was the b-side to her Christmas single "December Will Be Magic Again"

can you tell i'm a fan

11. hekawi

the package for the new cd:

[​IMG]

the track listing

1. FLOWER OF THE MOUNTAIN (a new version of the song originally titled ‘The Sensual World’)
    2. SONG OF SOLOMON
    3. DEEPER UNDERSTANDING
    4. LILY
    5. THE RED SHOES
    6. THIS WOMAN’S WORK
    7. MOMENTS OF PLEASURE
    8. NEVER BE MINE
    9. TOP OF THE CITY
    10. AND SO IS LOVE
    11. RUBBERBAND GIRL

additional info from katebushnews.com:

Kate says: “Originally when I wrote the song ‘The Sensual World’ I had used text from the end of ‘Ulysses’ by James Joyce, put to a piece of music I had written. When I asked for permission to use the text I was refused, which was disappointing. I then wrote my own lyrics for the song although I felt that the original idea had been more interesting. Well, I’m not James Joyce am I? When I came to work on this project I thought I would ask for permission again and this time they said yes. It is now re-titled ‘Flower Of the Mountain’ and I am delighted that I have had the chance to fulfill the original concept”.

All the lead vocals and drums on “Director’s Cut” are new performances, some of the tracks featuring guests including Steve Gadd, Danny Thompson and, on backing vocals, Mica Paris. Three songs have been completely re-recorded, one of which is “This Woman’s Work”.

Kate adds: “For some time I have felt that I wanted to revisit tracks from these two albums and that they could benefit from having new life breathed into them. Lots of work had gone into the two original albums and now these songs have another layer of work woven into their fabric. I think of this as a new album”.

Kate Bush is currently working on her new album of brand new material.

[​IMG]

12. hekawi

the "new" single

her son Bertie is the auto-tuned computer voice in the song

13. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

I'll have to give The Red Shoes another listen; I remember being very surprised at how "modern" the production was when it came out, and that has unfortunately translated to being "dated" now. I can't really hear (for example) Constellation of the Heart without thinking, "Hey... that really takes me back to the early '90s!" There are several tracks that I remember having good thoughts about, and I've had all of them come up on shuffle a few times, but I don't think I've really listened to the album properly since probably '95 :oops:

On the other hand, I've gone back to Sensual World quite a bit. There's only one real dog of a track on there for me (Deeper Understanding)... my main issue is that the album is frequently very ice-picky. Of course, you can tweak the tone control to eliminate that... but then it sounds like there's a pillow over the speakers, so that's not really any better. In general, though, I like the songs themselves so much that I've learned to enjoy them the way they are. That, or maybe I've lost enough of my hearing that it doesn't bother me so much any more?

Loved the album art from both, though - had them in poster form for years. Spent way too much time staring into Kate's eyes in my early '20s.

Edit:
    Oh, Lordy... it sounds "modern" to me again. But the ice-pick is gone... and I still love the Trio Bulgarka stuff.

I'll have to withhold judgement until I can hear the real deal.

14. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Her first 2 albums were my favourite...

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Without Kate Bush I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have had Sinead O'Conner, Tori Amos, Björk and other singers that aren't afraid to stray off the beaten path and do it all themselves.

This song for example could have been from Kate.

16. shandraster

shandraster Tele-Meister

Holy crap hekawi. Thanks for finding all that information. :) Will have to listen to the new single after work later. And the track listing, all my favorites from both albums, so that's encouraging. :D

17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Cool thread Shandraster. I'm just a perpherial fan of Kate's...when I find a few spare hours I'll listen to Hekawi's vids. :lol: But I dig his passion. This is the song that I think of when I think of Kate Bush. It's a lovely ballad in 6/4 time with lyrics of hope amidst the struggle. Being newly married perhaps you can relate.

18. hekawi

"Don't Give Up" = best duet ever

elihu, here's one more when you get the time :D...Kate covering Marvin Gaye's hit from the 70s. it was the b-side of her single from Aerial , "King of the Mountain"

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Kate has always been a real champ at our house, ever since Wuthering Heights in what, about 1978? The deal with her, was when it said "by Kate bush" on the video, it WAS. She storyboarded it, directed it, and acted in it. Her music, the same thing, she did a lot of it completely by herself.

I was rather disappointed with her last effort, Ariel.... I've never actually been bored by a Kate Bush album before. That one was. Motherhood completely mellowed her out.

Oh well, her old stuff is still the Queen.

20. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Takes a lot of gumption to attempt Marvin Gaye...well done too. Thanks for filling me in on Kate, Hekawi (and everyone else). She's got major talent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.