New junk appliances

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bough GE appliances for years based on a history of overall reliability and, at the time I purchased the last set, the fact that GE was the only major appliance company with an actual in house maintenance department with techs.

After replacing the microwave twice in 5 years (both better grade products north of $400 each) I had the service rep on the phone and reviewed my unsatisfactory experience with him. I also double checked that he was an actual GE employee vs. a contractor, which he confirmed. After telling him I wanted them to the replace it this time he explained in a well practiced and slightly patronizing tone: "Sir, I'm very sorry for your inconvenience but for many years now most people consider microwaves to be replaceable appliances. You should just get a new one."

I stopped buying anything from GE and recommend the same to anyone else.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not a fan of Viking, and the stores I deal with sell very little BS stuff. I have heard that their service people are lacking, and igniters do go out, as well as other problems. See a LOT of Wolf ranges in the high end homes I work in, and folks seem happy with them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

The way I cope with irritation of appliances not lasting is to buy a barely used one for a tenth of retail

I got a home full of cheap junk, but it all seems to last. Any time I spent big there was major disappointment

I cope with disposable rubbish by paying a disposable price. Kitchen gadgets are almost all useless. Give me a sharp knife, wooden board, and wooden spatula, with a decent frying pan and a dutch oven, and I am pretty much done

Complex gadgets harbour mold

4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

A neighbor has a 1955 or so gas Magic Chef that's still going strong. Rarely breaks, cheap and simple to fix, very accurate controls, including its timer (though its time clock (as opposed to its timer) stopped working who knows when).

A hunting/fishing/trapper's cabin I sometimes use on my Ontario treks has one like this in it. And yes, you're reading it right:
    8170ea7864489def149f253b9012ee91.jpg

Sometimes, vintage IS better!

stevemc likes this.
  5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

But he was right, and in fact many other brands are GE with different branding. Whirlpool/KitchenAid are the same, Samsung, LG and Bosch as well. Disposable. An over-range microwave life is 5 years to 12, maybe 15 if you're very lucky. After 5-7 years the cost of fixing is more than replacement. I've installed them over 30 years and one customer told me her uncle actually was involved in designing a weak link into microwaves to make them fail after 7-10 years, and swore to it. I believe her.

That said, I still prefer GE over any other over-range and on-counter microwave brands. Just get a cheap one, don't get all the bells and whistles. You can get one for less than $200 that will be fine. When you spend more you just get more buttons and different cosmetics, but the main "guts" are the same.

The old ones would last forever, and I sometimes pull down a first generation GE over-range microwave that still works. That's like 30+ years old! Today they just want to move product, not sell you an item that will last.

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Yep. The problem isn't cheap appliances like a $30 blender that breaks down after a year of mixing margaritas but so-called "high end" brands like Ninja that are selling for well over $100, have a bunch of stupid features you don't need, and still break down.

My wife and I cook and entertain a lot, so over the years we've gravitated towards brands that sacrifice features for reliability or that make commercial grade appliances. Using your blender as an example, the extra $150 - $200 you spend on a comparable Vitamix/Blendtec isn't for extra features but for more robust parts and build. I spent $250-300 on my Blendtec over 15 years ago and it works as well as it did when it was new.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I bet like a lot of fingerpickers on here, touchscreens drive me nuts. Esp microwaves. Ours has 2 analogue dials on it I twist, and would not have another type

MickM likes this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I used to cycle through garlic crushers. The lever kind, the French coffee press kind (like a little Gutenberg printing press), etc.

But fingers + fork + crushing it on a plate works best of all.

I used to marvel at how my grandma could peel apples in one continuous strip, chop onions so quickly and finely, and whack apart chicken parts so precisely, open cans with thick-bladed knife, etc. "Daydream with music so you keep your eyes on the blade," she'd say. Also, "Turn off the damn TV."

Piggy Stu and Bristlehound like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I did a major renovation for a wealthy client who moved their industrial kitchen stove out to replace it with a modern look alike.
    I think now that the McMansion craze is in full swing those look alike are pop and crap.
    The old one sat outside and the owner struggled to get $400 for it.
    I was tempted but renting at the time.
    Real industrial stoves last and work, that crap about twice a week using the oven confirms that there is nothing professional about that product.

You can buy used institutional kitchen equipment from big supply houses.
    Tons of stainless equipment that’s reliable and long lasting.

10. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Detroit invented planned obsolescence and the Pac-rim manufacturers perfected it. Appliances are designed to exactly what they do, break on schedule. Replacement parts are discontinued after a few years and voila...you're in the market for a brand new one. That is the master stroke -- make it so it can't be repaired and the buyer has no choice but to buy another one. We just saw that with a 10 year old oven. The quality of the new and expensive one we got is even more dodgy than the old one.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought a new gas stove and a new refrigerator a few years back. I dont think in my 55 years of adult living I have ever had to have a used or new stove or refrig worked on.
    These two units had to be worked on multiple times in the first two years of use. I had to buy a maintenance contract to lessen the cost.
    New US made appliances are DOG DOO. It's no wonder Bosch and Japanese brands are well into the market now.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember the day I earned the money to buy our microwave. I did a side job for a guy, for cash, on a Sunday, and we took the cash and went to the local appliance super store, and bought a Panasonic.

That was in 1985. We use it many times a day, every day, and it's never given us a moment's trouble. It's large, and my wife thinks it looks unfashionable, wants to replace it. No way. We'd never get one as reliable...

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Are we talking about the choice of accepting junky appliances or the choice of living in a commune and letting others decide for you?

I could not keep up with where you were going.

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post

Lawdawg likes this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I meant that we're learning to accept the garbage we are given, in so many areas.
    I'm fine with communal living and group decision making; we all have each others' best interest in mind, which is a very rare situation.

MickM and LunarSlingShot like this.
  16. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

This!

Get as many quotes as possible. I recently had to have the transmission in my car rebuilt. I called everywhere I possibly could. I got quotes as high as $2100 and as low as $825 plus a year warranty. You never know how different the price can be on something until you see all of the options.

17. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You are preaching to the choir brother, amen.

18. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

yep. you nailed it. i bought the mid-tier Ninja appliance. so like a step up from their entry level model. the thing was obviously not bulit to last.

i'll take your recommendation and try a Blendtec next time. thanks

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

You've got to be sensible- and lucky. I've bought expensive, well regarded appliances which scarcely made it, to the end of the guarantee/warranty period. I've bought cheap stuff that disintegrated, almost immediately.

I try not to be fooled twice, though. My cheap refrigerator has outlasted the fancy German made one it replaced.

My wife is an impatient person, who burns pans all the time. She's also slow to adapt and wary of technology. I had been using microwave ovens at work for more than a decade and thought she might like one (whilst burning less pans!). She was very reluctant, so I bought the cheapest one in the store, with simple rotary controls. After a while, this thing was really earning it's keep and finally it packed in, after seven or eight years. My wife hated all the fancy brushed steel alternatives, with digital displays and thirty functions. You guessed it! I bought the exact same appliance, still on sale in the same shop, for even less money than the first one- and it's working fine, after three years.

Ask yourself- what do |I really need from an appliance? And am I buying more reliability, when I pay a premium, or just a heap of functionality which will never be used? Ponder that, for a while, make your decision and cross your fingers.:)

Regarding Charlie's problem; I worked in group living situations and supervised others, in a guardianship role, for many years. I'd buy used commercial, over high-end domestic quality appliances, every time.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Not to turn this into a blender thread(!), but I believe Vitamix and Blendtec have 7-8 year warranties which speaks volumes about the difference in quality between a true high end product and the latest fancy gadget du jour.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.