New Joyo pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DougM, Feb 4, 2019.

1. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Yeah I'll probably go with that one soon. I really like the Tubescreamer-but-asymmetrically-clipped sound, and the independent boost is a great feature, as is the option to flatten the mids. Sounds like they aimed for the most recent Fulldrives as their model.

The other R-series pedals look great but would be redundant in my lineup. Not that that has held me back before, but I have to try and have some restraint!

2. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I shouldn't have clicked this thread! GAS inducer!!! :D

I always liked my old Joyo Ultimate Drive!

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Well, it's not happening. They Emailed me and told me they were out of stock but forgot to remove their Ebay listing. I could get it from China, but I'll probably just wait until the guys in California get some more.

kevsonic likes this.
  4. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Apparently not all pedals are designed to be 'hit with a shoe'. ;)

dswo likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well what do you do with yours? Lick them?

I step on mine whilst I'm very busy concentrating on other stuff (singing and playing). I count myself lucky to hit the right one while not hitting anything else or changing asetting accidentally.
    Anything about a design that makes that easier is good, anything that makes it harder is bad. I had a couple of those Keeley small multi-effects funits for a hot minute. They sounded good but were impossible to actually use outside of the bedroom because the switches were so close together. Maybe an elf could use them?

I just couldn't use these due to the switch placement. Plus a real Fulldrive 3 only costs a little more than one of these. I'm not a diehard USA only guy, but if you're not even saving much money by buying a copy, cmon.

valvestate likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

these look pretty interesting
    ...and, I have absolutely no need for any new pedals.

You ever wish you needed something?:confused:
    It's a weird thing, and I guess it speaks to the whole disorder of consumerism that we are all indoctrinated into.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Seems I have hit a nerve. Music is supposed to be fun, even when gigging. Maybe you're taking this all too seriously?

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

But maybe there's one out there that's better than what you already have...
    Oooooh....

kevsonic likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm not mad at all, just posting my thoughts. Hard to read emotions into forum posts. Last thing I would get mad about is pedal design.

10. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Hate the switch placement, why?

11. rosellem

rosellem TDPRI Member

I picked up the Zip Amp and Aquarius.. they are pretty awesome. So far playing around with them but liking how they sound. The looper in the Aquarius is super cool.. not sure if i'll use it live or not.

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Unless they explain it in marketing/advertising, my best guess is that it's advantageous for production reasons.

The only other reason I could think of it being done is because the switch is offset on the Klon, and they're trying to copy that.

It looks like the enclosure is Rat-like or older Big Muff-like, consisting of a 3-sided top, and a 3-sided bottom. It might be more obvious as to why the switch is one side, once we see inside.

Whether or not the switch location is a problem during use, I have to admit that I just don't like it aesthetically.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Anyone actually get that Maximum R-05 thing yet?
    Looks like you can get a real Fulldrive on the used market for just a like 15 bucks over what these go for new

14. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

But does it have the cool Ambient light? ;)

I've actually been wondering this too. I have a Caline Crazy Cacti and it sounds good on vintage mode but can't get any good sounds from other modes.

15. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

I haven't tried these newer joyos but I'm a big fan of the older big boxes like the American and California... one of which will always be on my pedalboard they're just very amp like with a 3-band EQ High mid-low they just can't be beat you've definitely piqued my interest on these models congratulations on your new pedals

16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I got the Taichi, and it sounds great, but it's shielded so poorly that it picks up radio signals, rendering it useless. I don't know if I just got a bad one or if it's a design flaw. I had a Rowin Bluesy (different than the Tomsline Bluesy) with the same problem. And I'm still loving the Tauren, but I like the Caline Pegasus, the Tone Bakery Crème Brulee, and the no-name Chinese Klone (the one that comes in kit or assembled form, although I don't see the kit on Ebay anymore) equally, so I have four Klones on my board, 'cause I can't decide which one I like most.
    s-l1600b.jpg s-l1600p.jpg s-l1600r.jpg maxresdefaultkklon.jpg tbcremebrulee.jpg s-l1600x.jpg joyo-audio-tauren-overdrive@1400x1050.jpg
    Right now, I'm digging the Chinese one most. It comes in the traditional Gold and Silver, and also in Blue, Red, and Purple from seller weekend0721 for $55 with free shipping.

kevsonic likes this.
  17. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I got the Maximum a little while back, and I'm not really in love with it. Nothing wrong with it functionally, but I'm not sure it's the kind of asymmetrical-TS tone that I had in mind. Also, it takes after the FD2 in that the boost only affects things when the drive is on. The one feature that seems to garner the most amount of criticism for the FD2 is the one Joyo elected to incorporate!

I'm going to spend some time on it, working it in here and there. I've done some hasty flips before, and regretted them, so I'll stew on this one for a while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.