New Joyo character series pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DougM, Oct 26, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Joining the American Sound, British Sound, California Sound, and AC Tone, Joyo now has an Orange amp sim box, called the Oxford Sound, which I believe Tech 21 called their Marshall or Vox one
    s-l1600.jpg

Flip G, nojazzhere and stormsedge like this.
  2. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Holic

Cool!

The AS is the only noisy (or noisiest) pedal in my signal chain but sounds good enough to not get the boot.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Do you have one? I have Joyo's Uzi Pedal and it's kinna like my old Ratt , with more purr, though it can tear your head off.

I have the marshall version of the series , I believe that the Liverpool was the Vox, the Leeds was the High Watt ,which I tried to obtain and the asking price was that of a quality valve amp:eek:
    The who live at Leeds amp sound is High watt. that sound!!!!!! Duane Dennison was using a High watt at one time with Jesus Lizard.

1996Standard, beyer160 and stormsedge like this.
  4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Tech 21 versions were:
    Oxford was the Orange amp sound.
    Liverpool is the Vox
    British is the Marshall
    Leeds is HiWatt (as mentioned above)
    California is Mesa Boogies (I think)

I have the Tech21 British and it is superb sounding, especially in the Plexi and lower gain amps.

ping-ping-clicka and stormsedge like this.
  5. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I think they should do a version 2.0 of the entire line, basically with a switch that can turn the cab. sim. on and off, just like the Tech 21 did.

6. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I do not know which version mine are (recently purchased), but I thrashed them a bit yesterday and think they are great fun. I have the American, British, AC, and California. I'm still working out the tones I like best, but side by side one can hear the difference. I just added the Extreme Metal, which is in the same type of box, but I do not think it an amp sim...an excellent distortion, imo.

I guess I'll have to listen to some Oxford reviews and decide if I want another...I do not NEED another:twisted:.

I have these on a board going into the front end of a DV Mark Micro 60 Jazz...an all clean amp.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Holic

I think Tech 21’s Marshall one is called “British” and their Vox one is called “Liverpool”. Their Orange one is “Oxford”, like this one, which would be a major copyright infringement except they have no respect for copyrights.

DougM and scelestus like this.
  8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I definitely should have picked one of these up in the Before times, when they were around $100 used.

I'd be all over a Joyo version of the Leeds.

Lawdawg and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I’d like to try that Orange one. I have the Joyo British; I’m really enjoying the cleaner end of its gain range for direct recording with my P-bass.

10. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Looks like like they're just blatantly ripping off Tech21 now, not even bothering to change the name of the pedal.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1. The main difference between the two and perhaps the most valuable function.

12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

True, i actually don't need this feature right now because i always play into P.A. but sometimes i've used it in front of an amp. and i wasn't always happy like i'm when i use it with a monitor or in a send-return of an amp....

radiocaster and Obsessed like this.
  13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They've had a little Ironman version of that pedal for years, the only difference is the eq is just one tone knob.

I have the Ironman Boogie, it's supposed to be a Dual Rectifier. It gets more distortion if you crank the voice knob, which also gives you more mids but it's not too much and I've only used it into things that don't have a mids control, and I don't mind that there isn't one on the pedal.

However, I never liked it into guitar amps. It gets too boomy because you can't turn off the cab sim. Into a stereo, boombox, PA, anything like that it's great. So small you can fit it into any guitar case and still have room for other stuff.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'd like to try this. I have the British, American, California and ACTONE now. I also have a Tech21 Flyrig with the Plexi, Cali and Blonde built in. I would say these Joyos are based on the Tech21 circuits, but not exact copies. I can't seem to dial in the British Sound, American Sound or California Sound to exactly mimic the Plexi, Blonde or Cali tones from the Tech21. Maybe the Tech21 separate pedal circuits differ some from the version integrated into the Flyrigs, so I would welcome the opinion of any others. I think the Joyo stuff generally works off of other designs and tweaks them. The Ultimate Drive did not sound like a stock OCD to me and the Vintage Overdrive sounded like a Tube Screamer modded with extended low end (like my Visual Sound 808 with the low boost engaged - only the Joyo had more presence - the Vintage Overdrive is actually my favorite all time Tube Screamer variant).

As far as the Joyo's go, the American Sound is the only one I like into the front (or power amp) of a real guitar amp - the rest sound a bit muffled that way regardless of the settings (at least with any of my amps). The California and British Sound pedals are fantastic direct - I use them both with a slight crunch and another distortion or boost in front, as needed for the tone I'm going for. American Sound also works great direct, but doesn't take a boost as well - it's better for straight-up cleans. Even a slight boost seems to make the sound over compressed to me. The Oxford would be a nice new flavor to have in my arsenal. The ACTONE doesn't get much use at the moment.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just some Joyo/ TS musings:

I can't quite explain what it is...

( and I do actually use the Drive/ Gain knob of a TS- based pedal for its distortion/breakup)

...but my Joyo Vintage Overdrive is a pretty good- sounding Tube Screamer type OD.

Just something about the combination of both tte range of the 3 knobs, plus just an intangible 'warm' sound. It just seems like all sounds good out of this particular TS

Over years ( many) I've owned tte following:

(2) TS-9's ( one, Keeley Phat Mod)
    TS-5 ( potato series)
    Vox Valvetone 810
    MXR Classic Overdrive
    BBE Green Screamer
    Biyang Mad Driver
    Fulldrive 2

All pretty good,
    and most (over the years) were bought and sold, admittedly to see if they either sounded better than my now, old Blues Driver ( ultimately, a better fit for my midrangey amps than a TS ), or how they might sound stacked with the BD-2. And the Blues Driver always won. ( and still!)

But last year I got a used Fender Frontman 25R ( put in a good speaker) for my gigs ( trio), and it really has very clean BF/SF Clean tone to it that I love.

But the Blues Driver is not such a good fit. It has great dynamics as always, but not the mids. Too much bass or Treble from both pedal and amp... So IMO, this amp 'needs' a Tube Screamer.

No longer having a TS-type OD, I got the JOYO, as it seemed like folks really liked it, and I gotta agree. It is friendly, clean, or dirty, good mid bump.

I no longer have the other Screamers I listed earlier to compare, but the JOYO Vintage OD is wonderful with this SS Fender.

* I take myJoyo American Sound to every gig as a 'backup amp' into PA, if needed

mkdaws32 likes this.
  16. mkdaws32

I had this one - cheap TS option at the time! I remember it sounding fantastic through my Super Reverb - an amp that I didn't generally like otherwise and ended up selling.

17. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

Same with my AC Tone, except I got one other noisy pedal that I live with cause it sounds good.

Treehouse likes this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

My issue with the TS-5 ( and I just threw pedal in the trash after a while) was ( tte whole 5 Series) was the crappy switch that died). It sounded pretty good, but frustrating at a gig

I still have the EM-5 EchoMachine,
    which is digital, but a very warm delay, lot of range. ( it's a backup, also broken switch)

19. mkdaws32

I had the TS-5 and the “lead” distortion (red or pink label? Can’t remember the actual name). Both worked for years until I traded up - had them when I was in high school and never had switch issues.

Edit: It was the PL5 “Powerlead” pedal!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

High School! I was in my 30's!

1996Standard likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.