New Joe Strummer Tele release

blind radish

Tele-Meister
They put this model out years ago --

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Ugh! No thanks! I can just take one of $400 partscasters with some 225 grit sandpaper and a scotchbrite and I will be in the same ballpark.

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
320BBF84-519C-4D91-B236-391353F383ED.jpeg

A photo I posted in another part of the site, a Clash tribute act last night with a decent tribute Tele.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Well yeah, but you have to admit, it's a highly competent complaint department.
...where people actually listen to what you have to say. not that bad ;)
Well, Fender doesn't care, as much as we feel we are the world's most hardcore Tele fans most of us are not their top buying demographic. So it's more of an echo chamber of negativity that feeds into nothing. That sort of vibe tends to take a place down in the long run.

Last edited:

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
They put this model out years ago --

Wow; I didn't realize the 2007-2009 run was going for that much money. I guess that the $1,799.99 isn't as big of a cash grab as I thought. I also didn't realize that the Page Dragon had gone up to $1,599.99 , and I knew the Harrison Rocky Strat was $1,999.99 so the price of the Strummer is in line with other high-end MIM signature models (particularly limited edition signature models).

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
I don't have anything against signature models or relic jobs (long as they don't go overboard), and Joe Strummer was great, but this new model is an abomination in so many ways. I wouldn't buy it at half that price, or even 1/3 the price.

thejackofhearts

Tele-Meister
Well, Fender doesn't care, as much as we feel we are the world's most hardcore Tele fans most of us are not their top buying demographic. So it's more of an echo chamber of negativity that feeds into nothing. That sort of vibe tends to take a place down in the long run.
Agreed. I don't understand why (some) people so bent out of shape about this release? It's not like anyone from Fender is forcing anyone to buy one. Think about the absolute waste of energy of sh*tting on a release when "you" were never the intended customer. It's like walking down the aisle of a grocery store and getting mad at all the products you'll never eat, simply because it exists. Puzzling.

IrishBread69

Tele-Holic
Agreed. I don't understand why (some) people so bent out of shape about this release? It's not like anyone from Fender is forcing anyone to buy one. Think about the absolute waste of energy of sh*tting on a release when "you" were never the intended customer. It's like walking down the aisle of a grocery store and getting mad at all the products you'll never eat, simply because it exists. Puzzling.

You're absolutely correct.

You either want it or you don't. If you want it you'll find the money because it has value to you. If you don't want it, it's worthless.

Making out it's overpriced or whatever else when you weren't the market anyway is insane.

slick4772

Tele-Meister
Fender has found a way to recreate these "one off" custom instruments in Mexico - the technology must be better or the labor is better - not sure. I don't know how they did the Rocky strat and I own one - how could they do them so consistently? EVH is doing replica Frankenstein guitars - those are more of an abomination than these Strummer guitars because at least they're using the same wood that was used on the original. The Frankensteins are basswood and have 22 frets - not the same guitar if they're touting as a replica. The Strummer can't be a decal - I've looked at a bunch of them online and the wear marks are unique on all of them. Fender's site says it is nitrocellulose lacquer.

I'm waiting for them to try the Malmsteen Duck (see my avatar) - that would be a real trick.

slick4772

Tele-Meister
Also - the Strummer guitar on Fender's site is probably the finest example that came out of Mexico based on the ones I've seen for sale. If you want one - make sure you see it before you buy it.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
Glad I got the original:

jscc-005.jpg

IMG-0133.jpg

Paid just 800 bucks for it and it came with the stencils kit! I painted my own Joe distressed pickguard and bought a great facsimile of the IGNORE ALIEN ORDERS sticker. The guitar is out of this world when it comes to tone and playability. Has real bite.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
It's a shame they didn't seem to care when he was alive... or maybe they did and he wasn't interested? ... I don't know.

Either way, it all feels a bit weird to me. I'm not a big Clash fan but Joe always seemed like a good bloke.

I don't know how I feel about it, but I'm not interested in owning one anyway.

sirshackleton

Tele-Meister
A friend of mine has one of the original run RIs. It's a great guitar; I especially love the neck on it. I'm 99% certain he got a good deal on it when he bought the fist time.

As for the price tag I mean sure, $1800 isn't pocket change for most folks out there. But if you purchase it with the intent of holding on to it and playing it for a long time (which is great strategy for buying guitar, I think), the actual cost becomes negligible.

I mean, how much does a midrange smart phone cost nowadays and how many of those are you going to buy over a ten-year period?

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If I close my eyes and it feels like my Player series, it would not be a good choice for me. If it feels and plays and sounds substantially better, $1800 is okay, I think. Do I want the visuals? Probably not but if I liked the rest, I could get past the appearance.

Pointmonger

Tele-Afflicted
Mine plays just as well as my Baja, minus the fat neck and extra switching. It's actually a bit livelier and resonant. But, yeah, if they made this guitar with a regular finish, in nitro, they'd probably sell a bunch of them.