New Joe Strummer Tele release

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
I just looked and $1799 isn't MSRP, it's the price Sweetwater has the guitar listed for on their website.
Same thing and all the retailers (CME, MF, Sweetwater, etc.)

1662590161278.png

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, prices on many things are up. (A new Honda Accord is about $35,000, a roll of aluminum foil is over $12).

user name

Tele-Meister
It's twice what you would pay for it you mean. For other people it's fine.

Money grab...I mean, that's what businesses do, right?
Ok...it's fine for you is what you meant. For other people it's twice what they would pay.

Yes, money grabbing is typically what businesses do, but that don't make it right, ethical, or above criticism.

radtz

Tele-Afflicted
Has anyone calculated how many feet and at what speed you have to drag a perfectly telecaster behind a truck on a gravel road to achieve this fine effect?

IrishBread69

Tele-Holic
Ok...it's fine for you is what you meant. For other people it's twice what they would pay.

Yes, money grabbing is typically what businesses do, but that don't make it right, ethical, or above criticism.

It has zero value for me because I'm not interested in a JS Tele. That doesn't mean it's overpriced or not affordable though.

Ethics doesn't come in to it. Companies can charge whatever they want, ultimately it's up to the consumer to decide whether or not they want to buy it.

It's like people expect master built guitars at Player series prices and it's unrealistic. That's not a dig at you or anyone else man, it's just an observation.

user name

Tele-Meister
It has zero value for me because I'm not interested in a JS Tele. That doesn't mean it's overpriced or not affordable though.

Ethics doesn't come in to it. Companies can charge whatever they want, ultimately it's up to the consumer to decide whether or not they want to buy it.

It's like people expect master built guitars at Player series prices and it's unrealistic. That's not a dig at you or anyone else man, it's just an

It's like people expect master built guitars at Player series prices and it's unrealistic. That's not a dig at you or anyone else man, it's just an observation.
That also doesn't mean it's a fair price...we could do this all day.

While there is certainly no legal obligation for corporations to act ethically, and the "free market" is supposed to determine what the market will withstand, the consumers have the right to vote with their wallets. In this case I believe they will sell some (like any other guitar) mostly to collectors and Clash fans, but once the hype and the novelty is gone they will be fresh out of customers for this model. You can try and argue that this is fairly priced all you like, but I don't see anyone here in this thread running for their wallet when this was announced. A Mexican made super heavy relic artist model at $1800 is gonna be a hard sell.
That being said, I don't have a dog in this race either, it's not a guitar I'd likely buy at any price. I just don't care for the look.

Last edited:

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
I was surprised when i saw one of these pop up in my news feed - My first thought was why do that...again? But then i remembered that FCS did the limited esquire last year and like the JP teles - fender does the high end and basic models - sooo....

One of my gear purge regrets was selling one of the original run of these. I bought from a kid who worked at the store where he got it and had the tech go over it with a fine toothed comb. The relic job (not a printed on label) was neither her nor there for me BUT - that was pretty much the best tele i played until I found a FCS Tele Custom....

It will be interesting to see some hands on reviews - If it sounds good I might pick one up.

RE: Pricing - With all due respect I find the comments about the pricing of this model to be "amusing". The price of this slots right in between a base and a premium MIM model - and still cheaper than the MIM Rocky strat (2k) that sold out before anyone knew it was coming. FCS guitars that were listed/sold for $3000 in 2018 and now listed/sold for over $5000. A LP standard in 2018 was... 1800-1900? its now $2500. Trini Lopez 2014 model - $3500 and 2022 model $6000 and up. DRRI in 2018...$800/900 or so - now $1600... etc... This is the new reality and its been happening since 2020.

To me this also indicates where the new AV line is going to be priced and i suspect that if people are... "commenting"... on a $1800 MIM guitar then heads will explode when the AVII, or whatever they are calling it, come in at $2500-2800....

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
i have the 07...some of it is reliced...the

they made replicas of his white guitar...it went for 15k
not to @archetype it didn't, nor to me. That was ludicrous, this is ludicrous as well.

I wonder if the price for the Paisley teles are going through the ceiling too?

is this 1700 street or list?

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
They should do a hemingway model. Never in tune and always sounds not . . . quite . . . good enough.

Or a TDPRI model: over-modded, smells like cork, made of schmonewood and no one will leave the damn thing as it is and just play it.

Just wait until PRS makes one. I wonder what they'd call it.

scotabilly

Tele-Meister
As you might imagine, all the prices on the 2007/8 original models are jacked up now. Plus Fender doesn't seem to be including the stencil and sticker kit. But they hawking a Strummer replica 50's style strap with leopard print, a "Know Your Rights" 2" strap, and an army green "Joe Strummer signature cable." I need a drink.

IrishBread69

Tele-Holic
RE: Pricing - With all due respect I find the comments about the pricing of this model to be "amusing".

I have no idea what planet these people are from. Guitar people seem to have this weird expectation that these instruments should be basically given away. If your budget is 500 then there are plenty of Harley Bentons and Squier Classic Vibe guitars out there.

These people have obviously not tried to buy a TV, car, phone, laptop, food, furniture, literally anything for at least 10 years.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
There’s probably Etsy money to be made on selling just the stickers. Get a black tele with a white pickguard and you’re good to go.