New JHS Rat pedal

THX1123

Tele-Holic
The last time I tried a Rat was in the 90s. It didn't do it for me then. Many of my friends use various versions of them now and I've liked what I heard. This new pedal is pricey but could be a good choice for me. I think I'll get one next paycheck (I get paid monthly).

radtz

Tele-Meister
I saw this and it inspired me to try a Dark Mouse, it should be here tomorrow. It also caused me to dig out my old LA Metal pedal that I purchased new in 1988(ish). For the record it is still the worst sounding pedal I have ever heard. The version on the JHS video actually sounded useful unlike the original.

oregomike

Tele-Holic
Looks like fun. $28 per rat.
2lxZfQk.png

I was tempted, but realized I only really like one Rat, and that's the Turbo Rat. Can't imagine the rabbit hole I'd go down with 9 versions. Bought the TR for $124. Done.

MyLittleEye

TDPRI Member
My issue with it is a stupid psychological one. If I got it, I'm pretty sure I'd find my favourite sound and leave it there. I would feel like I was wasting the other options, when I paid for them! :-D

I'm not so sure. I opted for a Little Bear R.Attack which clones three RATs into one box.
I got it because I felt I ought to have a distortion pedal in my collection and opted for the rat circuit as it seemed the most versatile of the classic distortions (the iconic DS-1 tone's never done it for me)

What I learned from the R.Attack was this:
1 - I love the low gain distortion of its Turbo Rat mode set to edge of break up (I prefer this now over my Blues Driver clone)
2 - I love the high gain fuzziness of its Dirty Rat mode pretty much dimed (I prefer this over my Big Muff clone)
3 - Personally, I still don't have much use for the regular distortion of the original Rat in between. It nice to know I have it there though.

If I didn't have my R.Attack already and/or if I had more disposable income I would defo be in the market for the Pack Rat. I totally dig Josh's approach, it's a fine swiss army Rat. Heck, I'd buy it just to support the work he does on his channel! But with that said I think the first pedal on my JHS wishlist is the Angry Driver which appears to nail my favourite corners of the distortion spectrum.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
$250 is too much for me. Buy a Rat 2 and get a Monte Allums mod for $25. Have modded a Sparkle Drive and Boss DS1 with his kits, and they sound great.

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
Fun Video! Josh is a hoot....

I have owned a White Face Rat, a Landgraff and my favorite Rat, a LoveKraft Chupacabra in the past. I dont currently have a Rat, so I took Josh’s advice and pulled the trigger on a LilRat from Sweetwater for $69.

Last edited:

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Woe! It’s like the muff and tubescreamer

I want one!

I love my big box rat reissue I just wish it had a little something extra

Maybe this is it!

jman72

Tele-Afflicted
Looks very cool. The Rat is one of my favorite pedals- it covers that more aggressive territory that I can't get with my other dirt pedals and stacks well with everything else.

If you're interested in versatility in a Rat, I built an Aion Helios Rat clone this summer for about $80, and it has a three-way switch to get three settings- the original, no clipping diodes, and LED clipping diodes. I like having the flexibility, but I really just keep it on the original silicon clipping 99% of the time. With the added "sweep" control, I can get a bunch of the in-between tones. I also used sockets for the op amp and diodes, so I can switch them to germanium or even stack the diodes really easily if you want to get different tones. I'd HIGHLY recommend it for anybody that wants MOST of the variety but not $250 worth. Really easy build, too.

By the way, what op amp is in the Packrat? I've got an original LM308N in mine- and for all you true Rat aficionados, you know the op amp matters.

rat complete 4.jpg rat complete 2.jpg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I’m guessing it’s Long & McQuade, which is a music store chain in Canada. We went to one in Ottawa once, and the folks working there were super nice.
Thanks! I'm too US- centric ( not in a political way, jus
Looks very cool. The Rat is one of my favorite pedals- it covers that more aggressive territory that I can't get with my other dirt pedals and stacks well with everything else.

If you're interested in versatility in a Rat, I built an Aion Helios Rat clone this summer for about $80, and it has a three-way switch to get three settings- the original, no clipping diodes, and LED clipping diodes. I like having the flexibility, but I really just keep it on the original silicon clipping 99% of the time. With the added "sweep" control, I can get a bunch of the in-between tones. I also used sockets for the op amp and diodes, so I can switch them to germanium or even stack the diodes really easily if you want to get different tones. I'd HIGHLY recommend it for anybody that wants MOST of the variety but not $250 worth. Really easy build, too.

By the way, what op amp is in the Packrat? I've got an original LM308N in mine- and for all you true Rat aficionados, you know the op amp matters.

View attachment 915762 View attachment 915763

In the Pack Rat video, Josh addresses ( quickly) the LM308N chip fascination, and if not mistaken states two points, kind of nonchalantly:

(* note: others here, please correct me if I get this wrong!)

1) Pro Co has used other chips due to scarcity/ production of LM308N

2) this is OK if you can find other OP amps that can perform, process in the exact same manner

( I don't think Josh stated what's actually in his new Rat)

This is just what I took from JHS video

jman72

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks! I'm too US- centric ( not in a political way, jus

In the Pack Rat video, Josh addresses ( quickly) the LM308N chip fascination, and if not mistaken states two points, kind of nonchalantly:

(* note: others here, please correct me if I get this wrong!)

1) Pro Co has used other chips due to scarcity/ production of LM308N

2) this is OK if you can find other OP amps that can perform, process in the exact same manner

( I don't think Josh stated what's actually in his new Rat)

This is just what I took from JHS video

Thanks for the info- I admittedly hadn't watched that particular video- I just read through approximately 10 pages of info on the JHS website on the ins-and-outs of how the Packrat is meticulously true to the originals. I know it has a modern chip since the LM308Ns are not available, but was curious which one.

I'd have to say that Josh dismissing the impact of the LM308N chip on the "mojo" of the original Rats while espousing the "exact replication" of the circuit(s) seems a bit strange, though. Sure, Proco has used other op amps (like the OP07), but whether or not they perform the same is still debated (I can't say either way since I used a NOS LM308N in mine, but the videos I've watched make them sound SIMILAR).

They all sound great, however, regardless of the op amp, and in a pinch I don't think either necessarily sounds BETTER- just different.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Do you Rat enthusiasts find it to be a useful pedal at home volume into a clean amp?

Yeah, I do. As someone already mentioned, into pretty much any amp setting. Even though I don't use mine (Rat 2) much now, it is great.

And, it can do a bunch of stuff too; it will pay dividends to experiment with the full range of the controls - the full sweep & combination possibilities of the Distortion, Filter and Level knobs. Listen to the 8 min or so demo at Monte Allums for an idea.

https://www.monteallums.com/mp3s/RAT_2.mp3

Also, it is one of the few pedals that works really well in to Top Boost channels on Vox AC amps.

I didn't know about Chicago Stompworks and their Mr. Vermin when I bought mine, and now I think that's where I'd look first. Great reviews and very reasonable in price (Currently $10 off at $79.99 I just noticed).

Pax/
Dean

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Woe! It’s like the muff and tubescreamer

I want one!

I love my big box rat reissue I just wish it had a little something extra

Maybe this is it!
I felt the same way, so I ended up buying a new Fat Rat and dropped an LM308N into it. That scratched my itch.

Edit: For anyone looking to buy an LM308N, I bought mine here and apparently they have more (I received Motorolas, FWIW)
https://www.jameco.com/z/LM308N-Major-Brands-IC-LM308N-Operational-Amplifier-18V-500mW_23464.html

Last edited:

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Ah yes... he took the same concept he used for the Bonsai and applied it to the RAT.
Didn't know this thing existed but it fits his previous MO(see pic below).

81ZEbk39cIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg