1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

new jhs pedal line ...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Old Plank, Oct 2, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

THey're not just all white. They have the same control layout, mini-toggle and footswitch location. Insert preprinted board here and connect. Likely outsourced to boot.

Pedal prices are ridiculous. I own a few "boutique" pedals but I also own some very basic devices as well. There are way too many vendors doing the same thing with minor tweaks.

2. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm curious what the profit margin is on these. If they're retailing at $99, they can't be wholesaling for a whole lot, add into that employee salaries, building rent, power, equipment, insurance, taxes. I'd bet at $99 each these aren't bringing in a ton of bacon.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve been paying $120 at most on Reverb for $200 Keeley, Wampler, and Analogman pedals. Just bought a Suhr Shiba Drive Reloaded off of Reverb from a Big Head Todds page for $100 shipped. Just need to make an offer.

studio1087 likes this.
  4. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

Some people believe that their used pedal should sell for what a new one costs, I don’t quite get that. But if you’re patient you can find good deals.

studio1087 likes this.
  5. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

In theory, I like the idea of every pedal on the board looking exactly the same. Confuse the audience at a gig. I think Jack White did it a few years ago. In practice, I'd probably screw up..

emisilly likes this.
  6. fasthand

fasthand TDPRI Member

Masking tape and a black sharpee
    Labeled done
    Ready to move them on remove tape

Doorlord likes this.
  7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Hard pass.

Tim T likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Gut shots along with a factory tour would be a good idea.

The circuits are likely high density surface mount/IC mini boards so factory panel yield is high. If they thought through assembly ease then costs can be quite low.

Hopefully the foot switches are 'off board' for easy repairs as switches go out most frequently.

Standard 9v 'Boss' style power plugs so players don't ruin with power supply issues?

9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

What I find annoying about this series is, I don't need any of them. I quite like the look and I also like sound of some of them.

They'll probably be too expensive by the time they get to Japan anyway...

Pax/
    Dean

10. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I watched JHS’ video about them earlier this morning. They’re all made in USA. The video showed a quick gut shot with a green pcb inside, and they say they use the same jacks, pots, and switches as on their regular lines.

They don’t really interest me too much, but I think they’re a good idea. If I owned a few, I would put a different colored strip of tape on each one to identify them quickly.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

The Compressor with the bright switch looks like it could be a less-expensive alternative to a Janglebox. Just sayin'.

Frontier9 likes this.
  12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

yeah check out the JHS program where he demos the new line of 3 nob pedals, I like them.
    My one regret is that I don't need any more pedals (sorry Josh).
    He's actually been an educational source for me with regard to applied pedal addiction .

Old Plank likes this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Josh turned me on to the "R" series line of Joyo pedals, as well as the Behringer pedals , yes Behringer are plastic but I don't step or stomp on 'um , their up in the air where I can reach them, eliminating a lot of unpleasant bending , wear and tear etc. so the plastic cases are not a problem.
    creepy-doll-20101009-170621.jpg

14. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

So far, Ive liked the sound of the distortion pedal in every video I've watched. I'm not much of a pedal user, but if I was to set up a pedal platform rig, I'd have to check it out.

15. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

That one interests me the most, i think I'll order it, I'm your huckleberry.
    Done, I'll post some pix of its innards when it gets here.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Telecaster88 and Fearnot like this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In the pics I see they have those jacks with a sleeve nut on plastic ring, indicating board mounted jacks.
    If the nut gets a little loose, the plug will break the board. That kills the pedal.
    That's cheap pedal construction, and $99 is not a cheap pedal.
    Plenty of other builders use it to make their pedals cheaper, more mass production instead of hand made/ wired top quality.

At the same time, there are plenty of US made pedals with case mounted hand wired jacks that will take more of a beating, and also took more labor to build. Some of those hand wired US made pedals are well under $100.

Boss still case mounts the jacks AFAIK, while keeping the price fair.
    You can contract with an offshore factory to make better or worse quality, as Boss has proven.
    And you can pay staff a fair wage in the US and still sell pedals with hand wired case mounted jacks for under $100.

I have so many pedal options in that price range, I can't see the attraction?
    Seems like JHS made its name with the Marshall Blues Breaker pedal copy?

Now brand loyalty makes these pedals with $50 construction quality look good at $100?
    I don't get it, but at the same time I do.

I still like and prefer to buy Fender parts from Fender, because, Fender invented them.
    Hell I even find happiness with something like the Whirlwind orange box, because whirlwind is the guy who created the Phase 90 in the first place.
    I do not buy EXH muffs though, so I'm not really trying to be loyal to designers, unless they keep up.
    EHX farmed out the muff long ago though so there's that.
    Fine examples of muff interpretations made at a higher level of quality than these $99 pedals come to me from Chicago Stomp Works, Big Knob, BYOC via Alchemy, and even Stomp Under Foot. All either well under or around $99.

I just have an instinctual urge to buy the better build if i can afford it, because I have no interest in cost cutting that results in broken gear.

17. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I wish Josh would give us an idea of what circuit the pedals (at least the analog ones) were based on. I understand that he imparts his own "magic" on classic circuit designs, but I'd love to know the pedigree - I'm thinking the Overdrive is based on a Tube Screamer? That one is the one that might gently persuade me outta 99 clams at some point.

18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Here's the Andertons demo of the range. Near the beginning, explaining some possible reasons why they are cheaper, Lee talks a little about his own experiences in having pedals manufactured and how certain things add to or subtract from the cost.

Pax/
    Dean

emisilly and Ben-Zion like this.
  19. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I hope they do well. They sound great, and seem well thought out.

20. Ragged Tweed

Ragged Tweed TDPRI Member

Does anyone know what the fuzz circuit is based on?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.