New Japan Vintage models

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Both the Stratocaster and Telecaster models look good, except the burst with the coverless hum bucker in the bridge. The 60s Custom Rosewood has to be one of the best looking Tele Customs Fender has ever put together, but I'm a sucker for Firemist Gold.

I think it may be telling that none of the few articles on this line even mention where they're made. I'm guessing since the name is "JV Modified," the country of origin may be one of those modified things.

All the necks look to be 9.5" radius, which seems a bit of a copout. Would have been good to offer the option of 7.25" Both Teles have a push/pull pot to put the pickups out of phase. Neck profile is a "soft V" with satin finish. No mention of how thick it is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 1.31.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 1.31.14 PM.png
    974.5 KB · Views: 273
  • zvr1kangydv9h1jclurz.jpg
    zvr1kangydv9h1jclurz.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 272

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Too much modified to my taste... non-vintage truss rod adjust, and we always expect thinner necks than their USA equivalents.

If you ignore the "JV," it's just a line of guitars with a specific feature set. I like what I see.

IMO the "JV" is just thrown in there for a marketing boost. They aren't JV guitars, modified or not.

brmusician

TDPRI Member
If you ignore the "JV," it's just a line of guitars with a specific feature set. I like what I see.

IMO the "JV" is just thrown in there for a marketing boost. They aren't JV guitars, modified or not.
It all depends on pricing. It seems they will be listed for $1299. Too expensive for a truss rod nut at the headstock. A MIM Vintera seems to be what a JV should be in its essence, IMHO.

brmusician

TDPRI Member
1982 and 1983: perfect AVRI-like tele (despite the woods used)?

1985: I actually liked the Squier SST-30.

1986: AVRI-like tele again:

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
The back of the neck heel says Crafted in Japan, so I assume they are MIJ.
Are you sure about that? I looked for a photo that showed that decal at the neck heel close enough to make out what it says, but couldn't find one. I'm talking about a photo of the neck heel from one of these new JV Modified guitars, not one from a previous JV series guitar.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
All the gold depresses me. Especially metal parts. But even this rich gold finish. It's chintzy and blingy. Especially on a Tele. Nah.

Shoreline Gold in nitro, yeah. This, no.
OK, none of these have gold metal parts. One of the Teles has a gold anodized pick guard, and the other one has a Firemist Gold paint job. You might be thinking of the Squier JV Modified line that has at least a couple guitars with all the metal bits gold plated. I agree, it looks chintzy and blingy.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I just saw this online - a Squier Baritone Tele. Now this looks interesting!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 4.06.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 4.06.10 PM.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 31

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m glad I already have two Stratocasters and a Telecaster. I don’t like any of the colors and poly won’t age into something that looks better in the time I have left. Not interested.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
The gold with binding and rosewood is stunning. If I didn’t already have a cabronita in that colour I’d be tempted.
Agreed. My current favorite combo. I love the gold cabronita w/ rosewood. But sounds like the new JV neck might be thicker than normal, no?

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I just saw this online - a Squier Baritone Tele. Now this looks interesting!

Can you replace the baritone neck with a standard neck without touching anything else? i'm asking because I always wanted a double bound black tele--but have no desire for a baritone. If I could just replace the neck w/o screwing up the intonation, I'd pre-order this in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

doctymie

Tele-Meister
Are you sure about that? I looked for a photo that showed that decal at the neck heel close enough to make out what it says, but couldn't find one. I'm talking about a photo of the neck heel from one of these new JV Modified guitars, not one from a previous JV series guitar.

Screenshot from Fender's website. And I was mistaken, it says Made in Japan instead of Crafted in Japan.

Attachments

• IMG_8308.jpg
    IMG_8308.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

RoyMontero62

TDPRI Member
Can you replace the baritone neck with a standard neck without touching anything else? i'm asking because I always wanted a double bound black tele--but have no desire for a baritone. If I could just replace the neck w/o screwing up the intonation, I'd pre-order this in a heartbeat.
Yes the heel joint should be compatible, the scale length of the neck only changes

RoyMontero62

TDPRI Member
the gold is too blingy and gaudy. The white and anodized gold…maybe. Too pricey for me anyway. The squier blackguard is made in indonesia, which i think is far superior craftmanship than made in china squier. That one is tempting lol