New Jaguar day (partscaster content)!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Matthias, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I finished my partscaster Jaguar last night!

FS7C8520.jpg

The specs are:

• Fender Classic Player neck with a lovely flame. 9.5" radius and modern C profile.
    • Kluson Deluxe tuners in nickel
    • 2-piece alder body from GuitarBuild.co.uk, finished in Olympic White nitro
    • AVRI mute, trem and pickguard
    • Pure Vintage '65 pick-ups - had to charge the magnets on the neck but it plays great now
    • Pure Vintage string tree and strap buttons
    • CTS/Alpha pots, Vishay capacitors and Luxe wiring
    • Switchcraft jack
    • Fender MiM Jazz Bass knobs and bridge (which is leftover from my now upgraded Jazzmaster)
    • Axesrus for other bits
    FS7C8515.jpg

Quite a journey creating this... Without doubt the most complex build I've done and everything including the mute, shimming, etc adds complexity to this thing. Fender really threw the kitchen sink in 'em. Build thread here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/jag-build.930958/

FS7C8518.jpg
    You can really see the flame here. Great luck for a MiM neck!

FS7C8516.jpg
    The pickguard (Which I bought used) is dulled down a bit and I filled and buffed out a gouge using superglue, 1500 grit and buffing compound. You can barely see it now.
    FS7C8526.jpg
    And here's the new kid on the block with his Jazzer brother. They make quite a groovy pair.

Here's a sound test I did of the various tones including the mute. The playing's just some basic riffs and chords in a 60s/80s/90s style but it gets the point across. One of the reasons I missed my Squier Jag is because it took pedals so well. This takes them even better. There's a little hum from the amp (something in my house) but as you can hear, the Jaguar design plus the extra shielding I put in make the guitar itself pretty quiet. All played through a Blues Junior III with a Lavalier mic dangled in front of the speaker!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

That guitar looks and sounds great! And that’s an excellent demo. I have the same pickups on my Jag... they have some really cool sounds in em. Nice work! And enjoy!

Matthias likes this.
  3. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

Oly white is always a winner

Zepfan and Matthias like this.
  4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Beautimus. And an excellent presentation.

Matthias likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

Matthias likes this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow - well done you, sir. I chickened out of building a Jazzmaster. Electronics too complicated for me. Nice build.

Southpaw Tele and Matthias like this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice job! It looks like a real '60's Jag to my eye.

Matthias likes this.
  8. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Not sidetrack, but with a decent diagram, even I figured it out. Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthias likes this.
  9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Agreed! The rhythm circuit is just a second volume tone and the top slide switch selects which circuit goes to the output... Once you figure out how the top slide switch and the toggle switch is wired, a JM is fairly straightforward. If you invest in the different coloured wires as used in vintage and some new Fenders and then follow a colour coded diagram, it’s not too difficult. I can recommend the Luxe cloth wire. Very easy to work with.

And thanks for the kind words all. The only thing left to arrive is a Classic Series Fender case for it. The Gators look at least as good for less, but I’m a sucker for a vintage accurate case to complete the package on a reissue/recreation. I stopped short at a G&G for the orange plush though!

10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

That's nice. I like the choice of getting a nitro body.

Matthias likes this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Cheers. I'm not fussed about a nitro neck, funnily enough. I quite like a gloss neck and PU most definitely gives you that! That nice translucent sheen across a slightly used nitro body looks great though, so this is a good combo for me.

backporchmusic likes this.
  12. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Update:

I got a Classic Series case for it (made in China). It’s very close to the G&G cases in design and features but the older Pro Series (Made in Vietnam) are slightly higher build quality.

Also, I gave in and stuck a spare Mustang bridge on it. I don’t hate the Jag bridge but the mustang one with the Es shimmed is just better.

I’ve also found this particular nitro is super reactive! An old leather strap I put on it started to stick to it (managed to wipe the residue off in the nick of time), and there’s a faint yellow/orange patch by the jack, which I *think* must be coming into contact with the colourful woven Ernie Ball strap I got, or alternatively an item of clothing. If hadn’t built it, I would mind but, I intended this one to wear and some off-colour marks are a common feature of Oly White. It already has some light dings/scratches from assembling and disassembling a few times, etc. I might crackle the finish and add some more light wear eventually. But hey, this is all authentic wear! I feel a bit reluctant to fake anything other than the crackle.

Now I might need to get a Levys suede strap like the one on my JM... that’s perfectly happy. Although one pickguard had a bad reaction with that guitar — that’s hidden though. Nitro, eh?

665C81CC-30C9-4314-A0DB-F0B7A1655270.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  13. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Good lord, look at that neck! Great job.

Matthias likes this.
  14. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

Very nice!

Matthias likes this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Looks great, White and Tort always look great.
    What gauge strings are you using?

Matthias likes this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

10s but I have some 11s in the mail.

Zepfan likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've always liked the neck pickups on these guitars more than the bridge pickup and I like the Rhythm circuit over the regular circuit. The regular circuit just seems too bright to me because they usually had 1meg pots for the regular circuit - 500k for the Rhythm circuit and the bridge pickup reminds me of a Strat bridge pickup- a bit thin and too bright.
    I've always wanted one of these, but mine would probably have the Rhythm circuit only(500k pots) and 11 gauge strings to darken it a bit more. Maybe the bridge pickup in the middle position and a Tele bridge pickup in it's place(probably a Cavilier Fat Lion).:twisted:

Matthias likes this.
  18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Good looking guitar. I've always loved that basic, classic color combo (I have a '64 reissue Jazz Bass that has it). Congrats!

Matthias likes this.
  19. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

The trick is to turn the volume and tone down for playing clean... But that brightness is brilliant for pedals.

20. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Jags are great... They were Fender's top of the line guitar ..
    Top of the pricelist ,too ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.