New Jack Reacher Series coming soon.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Anyone else looking forward to the new Jack Reacher series about to drop on Prime?

I liked the first film with Cruise....the second not as much. I never read the books, so the height thing didn't bother me.
I'll probably check the new series out when it arrives, but if it's not riveting, I'll find something else.
It's funny, but I usually enjoy these shows about "human" guys with extraordinary abilities, like Reacher, The Equalizer, Bourne, the first Taken, even the Daniel Craig Bond films......just not the Mission Impossible films. Gotta draw the line somewhere. ;)

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Awesome! I didn’t know about this. I am a definite Reacher fan and have read most of them.

I actually thought Tom Cruise pulled the role off well; despite looking nothing like my mental image of Reacher, and having a somewhat different demeanor than I pictured, I felt like he made the role his own, in a way that sucked me in and was interesting. I’d never have thought of him for that role in a million years and was pleasantly surprised at how he handled it.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Watched the trailer and will give it a try. One man, 2 fists, saves the day.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I dunno..... I hadn't read the book but really liked the first TC film. This looks kinda ridiculous.

If you like this sort of stuff check out Jack Carr Terminal List series! Just as badass but more skill oriented. Supposed Amazon series on deck with Chris Pratt playing lead which.....not sure about that.

Great book series!

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Awesome! I didn’t know about this. I am a definite Reacher fan and have read most of them.

I actually thought Tom Cruise pulled the role off well; despite looking nothing like my mental image of Reacher, and having a somewhat different demeanor than I pictured, I felt like he made the role his own, in a way that sucked me in and was interesting. I’d never have thought of him for that role in a million years and was pleasantly surprised at how he handled it.

Like some others I liked Cruise's first "Jack Reacher" movie in spite of the fact that he was physically wrong for the character, as written. I was expecting a more fantastical popcorn actioner, and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was more of a detective movie.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I love the books and own a fair amount of them in paperback.

The best thing I can say about the first film starring Tom C is that it reintroduced me to Rosamund Pike, who was in a Bond movie I'd forgotten.

Meh. I need to get back into the book series, and watch Gone Girl again. :)

TC lost any of my interest years ago.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Like some others I liked Cruise's first "Jack Reacher" movie in spite of the fact that he was physically wrong for the character, as written. I was expecting a more fantastical popcorn actioner, and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was more of a detective movie.
Yes...well put; I agree.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes...well put; I agree.
There were a lot of people who were pretty mad at TC getting that role but I think he had a lot to do with it becoming a movie as without him I am not sure it would have happened. I did have a hard time with the physical difference in the books and TC. Reacher is a 6'5" hardnose ex military police who has his own moral compass. I thought that TC did a pretty good job on the detective side but not on the physical intimidation side.

I am excited for this series although the first episodes appear to deal with "Killing Floor" which was one of the darker of the novels in my opinion.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
The movies were OK I guess. Cruise is cruise. I can put up with him, though not my favorite by any means. Certainly didn't fit the role as depicted in the books, but whatever.

I remember a line in one of the films that amused me though. I think it was in the context of Reacher saying he didn't need a ride and that he could just take off and walk away, and was something to the effect that "I can walk 3 miles in 20 minutes." Maybe the numbers were different (5 miles in 35 minutes?), but it was an absurd statement as no one can walk as fast as he intimated. Running, well, sure. But walking, no. Just one of those things that makes it into a film, but I found it rather absurd.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
The movies were OK I guess. Cruise is cruise. I can put up with him, though not my favorite by any means. Certainly didn't fit the role as depicted in the books, but whatever.

I remember a line in one of the films that amused me though. I think it was in the context of Reacher saying he didn't need a ride and that he could just take off and walk away, and was something to the effect that "I can walk 3 miles in 20 minutes." Maybe the numbers were different (5 miles in 35 minutes?), but it was an absurd statement as no one can walk as fast as he intimated. Running, well, sure. But walking, no. Just one of those things that makes it into a film, but I found it rather absurd.
Yeah...but cut him a little slack; he’s not a big guy but he delivered and sold the line “I aim to beat you to death and drink your blood from a boot” pretty well.

I also thought the rapport between him and Gunny Cash survived the shift into the movie format pretty well. Robert Duvall worked well in that role, I thought.

And Rosamund Pike and David Oyelowo seemed like unexpected but effective choices to me, also.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I liked the first film with Cruise....the second not as much. I never read the books, so the height thing didn't bother me.
I'll probably check the new series out when it arrives, but if it's not riveting, I'll find something else.
It's funny, but I usually enjoy these shows about "human" guys with extraordinary abilities, like Reacher, The Equalizer, Bourne, the first Taken, even the Daniel Craig Bond films......just not the Mission Impossible films. Gotta draw the line somewhere. ;)
If you've read the books, Tom Cruise would appear as something Jack Reacher might emit after a tough night of drinking cheap whiskey and eating Texas Chili. The Reacher in the trailer appears physically much more like The Reacher of the books but seems a bit amateurish in his acting abilities. We'll see, when we actually see an episode, trailers can make anything look interesting.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire

The quote was:
Early in the film, Jack Reacher says that there is a bus stop "3 miles away" and that he can "walk there in 24 minutes". That is a speed of 7.5 miles per hour, far faster than walking (unless Jack Reacher is a world-class race walker).

Of course Reacher is supposed to be a really tall dude, maybe he can stride it out and make it in that time, maybe. LOL

I thought TC did a good job with the physicality I just don't know how Hollywood found all of those short actors to play opposite Cruise. And Rosalind Pike makes me weak at the knees, it is something about her eyes.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
If you've read the books, Tom Cruise would appear as something Jack Reacher might emit after a tough night of drinking cheap whiskey and eating Texas Chili. The Reacher in the trailer appears physically much more like The Reacher of the books but seems a bit amateurish in his acting abilities. We'll see, when we actually see an episode, trailers can make anything look interesting.

I really think the bad acting thing might be a bonus, no one expects Jack Reacher to be smooth if they have read the books. Jack Reacher is a blunt instrument, he just points and go.
I think that might a good thing for him. He does appear to fit the part physically and he seems to have a little quirky sense of humor which will fit nicely.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I really think the bad acting thing might be a bonus, no one expects Jack Reacher to be smooth if they have read the books. Jack Reacher is a blunt instrument, he just points and go.
I think that might a good thing for him. He does appear to fit the part physically and he seems to have a little quirky sense of humor which will fit nicely.
He certainly appears much more like Reacher. I hope it works out, if for no other reason so that Tom Cruise won't be able to say; "I told you so!"