1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New issue Telefunken EL84-TK

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thegreatwent, Aug 11, 2014.

1. thegreatwent

thegreatwent TDPRI Member

Anybody try Telefunken EL84's yet?
    I guess they are Telefunken branded JJ's.

My favorite so far are thetubestore.com's Preferred Series. Decent cleans with some clean headroom and nice, musical breakup.

I've tried the -
    New Sensor Mullards - not bad - early break up. Kinda fun in the way they feel. Not enough clean headroom for some things.

New Sensor Tung Sol - not robust enough for the Hayseed - 1 or two of them would always red plate.

JJ - Okay tubes. Don't seem to last very long. Have had some quality issues here and there.

TAD - An interesting tube. Nice low end, but overall, does not give the classic AC30 chime and grind of other EL84's.

EI Labeled Tungsrams NOS - the most expensive set I've ever bought. Very aggressive in the mids. Not at all smooth or creamy. Had some red plating issues and had to send some back to Doug's tubes. Would not get again.

Always on the lookout for new EL84's to try in my Hayseed 30.

I've not been able to find much in the way of reviews on the reissued Telefunken EL84's and it looks like they've been out for a little while now..

2. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

haven't tried the RI telefunky offering, sorry.

i put sovtek EL84M quad in my Winfield 18/30, they sound great in that amp...

extra diameter is an issue in some amps see tubedepot.com for more info.

below from same:

A military-spec version of the standard Sovtek EL84 - the Sovtek EL84M's extended voltage tolerance - improved plate dissipation - and rugged construction make it equivalent to the RCA 7189. Chosen by Matchless for their designs - the EL84M also features higher transconductance - more power - and longer life than the less expensive EL84 - making it perfect for hi-end audio applications. However - many musician's prefer the regular EL84's warm distortion to the EL84M's tighter - cleaner tone. For all Hi-Fi users - the EL84M is definitely the tube of choice.

YMMV,
    mitchfit

3. thegreatwent

Bump

4. thegreatwent

Tried a set of the new Telefunkens. They seem okay, though, one of them crapped out the other day and I got them around the middle of August.so, longevity doesn't seem so good. Ordered another set to see what a fresh set sounds like again.
    I'm thinking after this set I may just stick to using the Tubestore's preferred series EL84 as they seem to be the best sounding and longest lasting of any I've tried.
    I'm using them in a Valvetech Hayseed 30 which is an incredible amp, but it's super hard on tubes. The Preferred series are very robust and easily last 2 to 3 times longer than most other tubes, so I think the extra expense is worth it.

5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I have; it's practically identical (e.g. sonically) to the JJ EL84. Nice tube.

6. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

Thanks for this post. I recently got a used Hayseed 30 head with Groove Tubes and have been thinking of retubing, but I had no idea which tubes to use. I've had good results with The Tube Store in the past. One question-Is the amp fixed bias, or can you just install new power tubes?

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

If the Hayseed is modeled on the VOX AC30, it is auto/cathode biased. There's no need for biasing, but do put in a matched quad of EL84s.

8. thegreatwent

Yes. Hayseed 30 is based on a 1963 Vox AC30. Cathode biased = plug and play. Going to try a Preferred Series 12AX7 in V1 and see how that sounds.
    The JJ is an okay tube, though, their failure rate is on the high side.
    The Preferred Series is a NOS Russian tube.
    I spent a lot to try out some Tungsram labeled EI tubes and thought they were too aggressive sounding - quick to get dirty and had a mean, very mid forward sound that I didn't care for. They had some red plating issues too. Not fun when you're paying $40+ a tube.
    What with the poor state of current production tubes I feel like it might behoove one to shell out for a 65 Amps EL84 Producer...spendy initially, but you'd save a ton of money on tubes in the long run.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.