1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New-ish guitar is showing signs of use already.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ECC83, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

that is a good question...finish does affect things...a lump of wood fossilized in plastic can never sound as good as something that isnt..less resonance..plastic is the worst material for sound transfer...it soaks up frequencies and resonance like a sponge...and a poly finish is ...well...plastic .my guitars do sound extremely "open" pipe up their Loop...didnt want to nick your space there...pressed on wrong thing...sorry

2. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Yes I don't want to hijack the thread,. so briefly...I collected Ibanez FujiGen guitars for quite a while and most all were poly. When I compare poly Ibanez LP's to real Gibson nitro ones...the difference is sound quality was dramatic.

The poly's almost sounded muted by comparison. Sure the build and woods + pickups and electronics probably made the difference, but somewhat sure the poly didn't help the tone to my ears.

As noted...every one of the XX poly guitars I own from the 70's and 80's show almost no signs of play wear,. impact damage sure, but no sweat finish damage. The binding will go before the finish most every time.

In the end...I'll go with nitro and wear.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm sure the Ibanez would respond real well to some doctoring of the pickups, maybe the pots, but it could well be the delicate neck construction Ibanez favors may be what distinguish it from various Gibsons.

I really doubt the finish is having any impact on the sound coming out of the speaker. But I have seen some guys who can "dig in" when playing a softer finish - the guy's fingers and hand hold might not hold their marks in precisely the same way on a super resilient catalyzed neck coating. Imagine if a major league baseball hitter had poly on his bat, for instance.

4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I bought a 2015 MIJ lacquer finished 50s style Tele almost three weeks ago.

It came with maybe three wee dings / chips through the finish, and a smattering of other wear marks. You can’t really see any of them unless you go looking.

I was quite surprised, as by the end of the first week I could see more wear on it.

Not rubbing wear, but scratches, knocks, etc. Nothing that’s broken the surface and you still need to hunt for them, but they’re there - tilt the guitar and you start seeing stuff.

After just a week.

So, I wouldn’t really worry about it.

Pax/
    Dean

5. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

My 70s Tele, love every dent and, scratch on it! Just like an old friend!
    IMG_20200126_203847122.jpg IMG_20200126_203847122.jpg

heffus, Henley and Broadmoor74 like this.
  6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I've stripped the poly off a guitar or two and refinished them in either oil or nitro. Didn't sound any different to me. I'd put the finish way down the list of things that would affect the sound. So far down as to be negligible.

Minivan Megafun, Asmith and SheldonP like this.
  7. Jvzz

Jvzz NEW MEMBER!

All in all, as the old saying goes; "The worst thing you can do to a race motor is to start it!" They begin wearing in the build process but get better and better right up to explosion point.
    Love it and "keep your foot in it" until it blows up!

Henley likes this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Wow, we can start monitoring our health with our guitars!

Henley likes this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Bit like humans, ‘the worst thing you can do to a human is give birth to it’.

10. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Right, that's why I mentioned build....comparing a Gibson LP to a Ibanez LP was not a fair fight.

It's just my opinion that thin hard nitro is better tonal wise than thick poly coat. I sure do not like the headache's sometimes associated with nitro finish,. maintenance wise....poly rules.

11. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

Keep a cotton rag in the case and wipe it down every time after using it, oil it whenever you change the strings. You can scrub around the frets with an old toothbrush to get the gunk out. Gibson and MusicNomad make oils you can use on any finish; the Martin oil I have is not for the matte finishes, just the shiny ones. People are right, it's the sweat that does the damage, not how hard you grip the strings. My guitars look pretty good decades later except that I keep banging them into things -- so they just show a little discoloration where the sweat hit them -- you can't keep them looking brand new -- but then there are splits and chunks from the finish missing here and there where I've knocked them into stuff. Sometimes I think I should have a luthier refinish them. I remember a friend of mine who found an old Fender bass in a pawn shop and decided to refinish it. While he was doing this he found the serial number and asked a friend what it meant; the friend said "It means you just sanded $1,000 off that guitar." But my guitars aren't collectors' items.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  12. Tjeppen

Tjeppen TDPRI Member

Stop showing pics of nude guitars, my kids watch this as well !

Wulf likes this.
  13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It took over a decade for the polyurethane finish on my Carvin bass to start to wear. That's some tough stuff.

ECC83 likes this.
  14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a Highway 1 Tele that I gigged for about a year, and just basically didn't treat it very well. It ended up with some cool wear on it. Wish I still had it.

3saddleTele.jpg

ECC83, TokyoPortrait and mimmo like this.
  15. ECC83

ECC83 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

My Carvin from 2011 shows darker spots on the (unfinished) ebony fretboard, and the transparent poly finish has settled to show the grain under it, but otherwise it looks as new. There are a few dings on it but no worn finish at all.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  16. chezadw

chezadw TDPRI Member

[​IMG]This summer I bought a custom shop 60s Les Paul - as new but it had been in the store since 2018 - I guess lefty stuff really doesn't move too fast - The red dye in the sunburst / body is fading way fast, which is fine by me.

upload_2020-12-13_8-42-13.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Beautiful! I hate when a Les Paul is too much of a cherryburst/too much red. Yours looks awesome!

18. chezadw

chezadw TDPRI Member

thanks, that, plus the more quilted rather than tight flame grain, was the main reason I chose it over others (not that we lefties have too much choice!!) Thanks again :-D

19. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

There's no such thing as lactic acid build-up in your body: it's what mitochondria use as fuel. This is one of those exercise phys myths that was based on incomplete experiments and which refuses to die. (Also, to date no one really knows what causes muscle cramps, but they do know that it's not lack of electrolytes: not least because when you sweat excessively, the concentration of electrolytes in body fluids increases cuz you sweat more water than minerals. Check Science of Sport website by Ross Tucker

20. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Yellowing nicely ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.