New house speakers: wow, what a difference!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mrboson, Feb 23, 2015.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

My church got budget approvals to perform some major upgrades to our ancient sound system and poorly implemented lighting in our main sanctuary. So we started with the main power amps and speaker cabs.

All the cabs hanging from the ceiling that never really did provide good coverage to the whole room (not a large sanctuary, but holds 350-400) were pulled down. Good cabs (JBLs) but just poor placement and specification by whatever engineer was in charge years ago.

The cabs were replaced by two sets of JBL line array columns mounted to the back wall. Two new crown 1000 watt power amps, allowing us to re-purpose the old QSC's for monitors, and junk the old no-name amps that used to power the monitors. Two new DBX Driverack EQ/speaker management units.

Brands new speaker runs for all cabs and monitor points on stage using proper gauge speaker cable (the previous installer used 14-2 electrical). I did all the new cable runs and connector ends myself, so I know it was done right :cool:

Anyway... this post mainly about the JBL line arrays. Man, what a difference. We finished installing it all Friday, used it for the first real service Saturday night (shook out some bugs), and Sunday was the real test. Boom! What an awesome difference. We still have some EQ fine tuning, plus an upgrade to our subs still to complete. But those two little line arrays serving up the mains just hit it out of the park.

I played acoustic Sunday. The coverage from the line arrays was so complete I didn't even need a monitor.

2. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's all about coverage and arrival times to the people in the seats. I do many church sound systems. There are many rooms that can by fixed just by correctly positioning the the existing speakers and adding competently set up processing.

In our business it's well known that we are the ones who install the third system. The first one was clearly inadequate. The second one came from AMS and then the third one is designed/installed by a competent professional.

If the room is acoustically not challenging and built in an appropriate way for the worship style sometimes the AMS system will get it done.

I know that I don't often get called for the easy ones. Somebody's brother in-law gets those.

I'm glad to hear that your congregation now has a system that is no longer in the way of the the word!

3. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

All of the above is true, but another thing to watch for is blown tweeters. I do not know how many PA speakers I have replaced the tweeters in.

4. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Congrats.

It's amazing how many churches I go into that sound like $30,000 worth of crap. Then you walk across the street to the pub and hear a band with a cheap Peavey P.A. that sounds like a professional C.D.. :eek:

Of course: everything is a variable. I just assume most churches are a SUCKER for a crafty salesman. Most churches don't understand what they really want.

Loved your story BigBean. Yes, it's the 3rd time that gets it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.