New house appliances, what have you purchased lately to be pleasantly surprised about?

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
The cheapest bigger refrigerator. Traditional style: freezer on top, dial for temperature, no digital readout or pointless electronics or extra features. Works like a charm, had it for several years.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Just bought a low end ($70) Cuisinart toaster oven last week. I actually love it. The elements heat up almost immediately, and it gets hot enough to burn the crap out your food if you set it wrong, which for me is a good thing, because every toaster oven I had in the past couldn't get hot enought to cook the food. It make a perfect toaster pizza in about 6 minutes.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
We got sick of the Whirlpool brands - all of them - dishwashers all becoming crap in a few years so got a Bosch that is clearly superior in how well it works and not falling apart at 2 years of age.

It was also stuck with Whirlpool crap for our kitchen via the size refrigerator we could fit. After the remodel we got a GE. For one service matter they were clearly better than the Whirlpool pack of stooges if you need something fixed. The GE fridge is at an age where Whirlpool plastic started breaking.

I feel towards Whirlpool like I do with domestic car stuff - screw you. Your designs, the quality of your labor, the quality of your warranty for expensive stuff is still less than the best. For most of my 6+ decades I tried to be patriotic but I'm sick of giving money to different packs of stooges and having bother and stress I could possibly avoid.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Our house is three years old now and every appliance was new, all whirlpool. All have been solid so far, but I got the five year warranty on each knowing the reputation. I have no brand loyalties, and have been screwed by almost all brands.

If they count, my two favorite appliances are our Rinnai tankless water heater and the just-installed JuiceBox Pro 32a (car charger). Pretty solid apps from both, incredible convenience.

radtz

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a battery back-up sump pump system that hooks up to the internet. It runs tests every week on the primary and back-up pumps and monitors battery life, etc. Our internet went out in the middle of the night and my pump software told me when and for how long.

Like most internet users, I use my sump pump to verify my internet service. LOL

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
My Osterizer blender (top of the line when I bought it) gave out after 40 years, and I was surprised that a nearly identical model, with a coouple of improvements that actually are, was available for less than I paid for the original. They claim an all metal drive train, so should be good for another 40 years. I was looking at Vitamix and Blendtec models at one point, but I don't make oak smoothies and couldn't see that I really need all that power; the Osterizer has quite a bit.

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
We're just finishing building a home, so all new everything.

The two most impressive appliances have been a Miele induction stovetop with integrated smoke extractor and a Paykill and Fisher refridgerator drawer for the kitchen island.

The stove cooks incredibly fast and is so easy to clean. And with the fridge, You can push a button and switch it between being a veggie bin, fridge, wine fridge, or freezer.

1A15B0F4-5AD0-490C-9058-D35D1AE4AF99.jpeg
9C7CA2A3-9D98-46BB-84B2-66AD18A01B31.jpeg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
+My old Amana washer and dryer are on 22 trouble free years now.
-My 5 year old Maytag Refrig and Frigidaire gas range have been unreliable junk from new.
-Stihl gas weed wacker: Junk. Sold on CL for $50 after 3 trouble plagued uses.
-Husqavarna riding mower: Reliable but common maintenance things very difficult to work on. Terrible design from a user/ergo standpoint.
+ Undersink reverse osmosis water filter. Just a cheap $150 set. Works great. They should design these to be laid out more service friendly though. Fortunately I'm an engineer, but I doubt your average accountant would figure it all out.
+Costco motion detecting solar outdoor yard light. Was cheap and just keeps working. No wiring required.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Had this fancy washing machine my late wife loved. All kinds of settings and even played a little tune when it was finished. It started leaking and got progressively worse. I debated fixing it, calling a repairman, even asked advice here. Decided to look on Craigslist and found a cheap, very clean, no frills GE. Works like a champ. Just shuts off when it finishes. No digital junk. Couldn't be happier.

RolandG

Tele-Meister
Quooker boiling water tap. Instant boiling water. No kettle cluttering the work surface. It also feeds the kitchen hot water. So, with an electric shower in the bathroom, we can switch off the oil fired boiler unless it’s required for central heating, and save £000s per year

KC

Friend of Leo's
Ancient fridge. Works. Keeps working.

Oh, new stuff? A Dyson Animal cordless vacuum, keeps up with two corgis no sweat -- and those little bastids shed. And when my old washer finally bit the dust, I splurged on a Speed Queen pair, now I'm set for life. The repair guy said he couldn't even get parts for the Samsung and LG stuff, lots of bells and whistles, short lifespan. Speed Queen is laundromat-grade stuff.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
The only time I’ve ever been pleasantly surprised by an appliance was when my refrigerator hit about the 12 year mark and I realized it had never had one issue. We just got a new one after 15 years and only because we’re doing a kitchen remodel—the old fridge was still going strong. I’d have liked to have seen how long it would have lasted.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
Upgraded to the higher-end Roomba with self-emptying base (the base has its own vacuum that suuuucks the detritus out of the robot and then sends it back out for more). I was skeptical that the upgrade would be worth the substantial added cost but, lemme tell you, this thing is great. I have one sheddy cat, and a good robot vacuum is a godsend. The alternative is hours of vacuuming a week or being inundated with dust and hair.

Doctor of Teleocity
Commercial washer and dryer for the win. Don’t know how I ever got along without them.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Vitamix blender.

Kale smoothies with other assorted goodies (flax, matcha, hemp, cacao, bananas), for the whole family daily.
+1 on the Vitamix.
We had the Blendtec but the deal on the Vitamix was too good to pass on.
It gets used 2 or 3 times a day which is more than the hob or microwave, plus unlike the Blendtec, it doesn't sound like there's a tractor in my kitchen.

The Dualit toaster was a good purchase too, simple, fast, fixable and a lifetime guaruntee on parts.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
We also bought a Dyson Animal cordless vacuum a while ago, can't fault it...yet. Easy to use and live with. Cats are OK with it too :cool:

We've had lots of Samsung products over the years, e.g., fridge/freezer, microwave, phones, washing machine, tv and in all honesty we've never had an issue with any of them. We've passed some stuff on to the kids, gifted some stuff, still got a lot of it.

I still use an old Samsung fridge (must be 10 years old?) in the shed for beer brewing purposes. 🍻

I almost wish the main lounge tv (8ish year-old Samsung 32" 'dumb' version with a Chromecast plugged in) would die so I'd have an excuse to get a bigger one.

Miele dishwasher and fridge still going strong, both 5+ years old now.

Of course, I've completely jinxed it all now, the bloody lot will all go bang within weeks now.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
The only time I’ve ever been pleasantly surprised by an appliance was when my refrigerator hit about the 12 year mark and I realized it had never had one issue. We just got a new one after 15 years and only because we’re doing a kitchen remodel—the old fridge was still going strong. I’d have liked to have seen how long it would have lasted.
Our fridge is about that old. Had one issue, when it blew a fuse that was soldered onto the circuit board. By then it was 5 years old, so getting a replacement board was 3 weeks and $250 away. Got a fuse holder, soldered that into the holes, now if it blows again I can just swap the fuse like normal. Oh, and we got it used, less than two years old, like new condition, for $350. Still happy about that purchase, and I dust off the coils twice a year to keep it going.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
is it called a Rumba? a fascinated by the Idea of a Smart Broom, but, I live in a very small studio apartment .
I have a Craftsman shop vacuum that can almost suck up the floors, all those, hard to reach places, done .
I'm waiting for that house hold device from the Woody Allen movie, what was it called, oh right "The ORGASMATRON.

yyyyyyyy.gif