1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Hobby

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Colt W. Knight, Aug 20, 2011.

1. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

An anvil is actually kind of overkill, and might not give the sound deadening you are looking for. Solid, no give/no bounce is what matters for tooling. We had workbenches with about 6" thick hardwood butcher block tops that were skinned with 1/4" thick solid rubber mats glued onto the butcher block. Good for punches too... Die-cut (think punches) is the ultimate for leather.

I might suggest checking the locals for used butcher blocks. A place like Tandy might still sell the rubber mats. In the long run you might need or want one of those too. A rubber surface for leather is like a router to guitar building; seriously hard to do without!

That job was seriously fun and cool! Thinking about it brings back fond memories...:D

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Colt, a couple of days into it, how are you bonding with that bench?

It looks like it could solve a problem for me.

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Love the bench so far. Drawer work nice, its nice and solid, and is plenty big. The vice on the side is really stiff. I think I am going to have to open up some holes to make it work smoothly.

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Vice included, eh?

That makes it even better.

Would lapping compound make those gears work better?

Thanks for the review.

5. Colt W. Knight

The gears work fine. The big screw that runs through the table bracing is rubbing up against the through holes. I either need to enlarge the holes or see if I cant manipulate the mounting bracket so it has a straight shot through the holes. Its probably an easy fix, but I haven't bothered to mess with it yet.

A few new toys for the bench
    [​IMG]

By the way Steve, I forgot to tell ya those straps looks awesome. Is your border stamped and painted, or is it lacing?

6. Colt W. Knight

I just do it for fun, while attending college because building guitars while attending school is a real ordeal. I am only going to be able to make 1 guitar every couple months, instead of several a month like I was doing before. The winding down has me really anxious. But I think I am through spending money on leather work stuff for a while. I am into it pretty deep at the moment.

7. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

We are watching you become more and more talented before our very eyes. Thanks for the pics. Everything guitar,whats next,winding pickups?

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Have you exerted any sideways pressure on the bench...like hand planing? My mysterywood bench ( I think I got it at HF) just holds my micro lathe. The bench is pretty useless for moderate to heavy sideways pressure, as the knockdown hardware and light weight allow it to flex and move. Mine is older and only has one drawer with a shelf underneath. Your bench may be heavier and stiffer just by the looks of it. That vise is a nice feature on it though.

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

Go get yourself a Mk-III, they have really improved the trigger, and also changed the magazine release to button style in the more common thumb activated location.

10. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have they improved the re-assembly after take-down? Probably not.

11. Colt W. Knight

Thats going to happen, pretty soon. I'm researching right now.

12. Colt W. Knight

I doubt it would hold up to bench planeing. the top , drawers, and legs are made from hardwood, but the bracings are particle board, and connected with only a few screws and bolts.

I wanted thw butcher block top for my leather cutting and tooling. Thw metal/mdf benches would act like a big drum when tooling and the mdf would swell from the water

13. Colt W. Knight

Browning just released a new scalled down 1911 in 22lr, looks pretty sweet! I doubt youd find an easier 22 semi auto to field strip and reassemble

14. parsaver

parsaver Tele-Meister

I've got 22lr slide/barrel for my Kimber, it's pretty nifty. Bit different class than the Rugers but its hard to beat a 1911.

Ok Colt, now you have everything to make a tele with a holster integrated into the body.....ill just sit over there and wait for the pictures of it:)

Sent from my DROIDX using TDPRI

15. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got the GSG 1911-22 but it's full size. It's pretty sharp.

16. twostepct

twostepct TDPRI Member

I have been doing leatherwork for years, and here is my method for "casing" the leather. I will use a clean sponge with clean water. I wet the front side with the sponge after I have squeezed most of the fluid out of it. You want the leather to be moist, but not wet if that makes sense. I then moisten the BACK of the leather as well. The best tooling base I have ever found is a piece of marble, but I have used thin (2") pieces of concrete with good results too and they are less expensive. You know you have you leather cased right when you can see the design on the back side of the work. I don't know if the rapid compression burnishes the leather on the inside or what but once I began watching for this my tooling became worlds better and very stable. Casing is also invaluable when antiqueing the leather. By getting it damp, the antique is not absorbed very fast at all. This allows you to get the antique stain into the tooling in order to accent the impressions, yet the surface can be wiped off with a damp sponge keeping the majority from being very dark. I love doing leatherwork but I seem to only do it when I need something built. I usually build holsters when I need one, belts and built my son a pair of chinks (shin length chaps) but I have yet to build myself a guitar strap!

17. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Awesome.

I ordered a leather belt last year with my name on it and the man who was going to make it for me got himself tied up in some pretty heavy stuff and got himself shot dead.

A guitar strap was going to be my second order. :(

Looks great.

18. Colt W. Knight

Excellent! I really want the Browning, but I don't need it since I already have that super nice Mark II

19. Hambone33

Hambone33 TDPRI Member

Mental Note: Don't make anything for this guy :lol:

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bet my "Mk I" has crappier take-down AND re-assembly than your Mk II or Mk III. 'danged hammer and that round-ended thing flopping around jeesh!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.