New High End / Boutique Digital Amp (tone master rival?)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KnopflerStyle, Oct 10, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

That is where the TMs and Rolands are "more like real amps", and the Rolands have been very successful... I'm betting the TMs will be also....

Apache Snow and TwangerWannabe like this.
  2. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

How is this "high end" and "botique" exactly? The cleans on it sound pretty good to me, but the overdrive has a pretty typical 'modeled' fizzy tone that doesn't rival a good tube amp.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wonder if either of you can step back and appreciate the amusing irony of your bold statement in this context?

ruger9 likes this.
  4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    In my case, I don't care what someone else uses. BUT, if they start claiming tube amps are antiquated, no longer viable, too costly to use and maintain, don't sound any better than digital amps, and if I post saying I like tube amps and don't plan on switching, and then am attacked for posting that opinion, then I guess I may continue to post like I did in this case.
    Like I've said many times, I don't care what other people use until they go after my choice. Then I may or may comment, and if I do I'll probably hurt some feelings. Oh well, c'est la vie.

ruger9 likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ever consider that saying tube amps don't sound any better than digital amps is not the same thing as attacking you?

blowtorch likes this.
  6. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

I'm free to post my opinion as are you. When I get a rebuttal and it seems more than just "our opinions may differ", then someone is looking for an argument.
    Bye

7. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Dude if you are happy with tubes what are you doing posting here in Modeling amp forum?

Also, your argument about (...) Just don't try to convince people like me who like traditional tube amps. I don't need to switch. I'm good (...) . If this is true, your should keep your Motorola Startac with you.

Hate when a modelling post turns into a valve vs modelling.

Lets talk about this new things. Im interested since i guess the roland cube and tone master are very interesting products.

What about this one?

pugnax likes this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Sadly... it happens every single time and the person always hides behind the excuse "it's a forum, I'm welcome to my opinion" with complete disregard or respect for the actual forum they are in or the OP's intent.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  9. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Dude, try reading my first 2 posts, I think they are #10 and 12

My comment was mostly about Andertons and then it escalated

10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

The current-generation BC is circuit-modeled with DSP. The previous models (BC30/60) were discrete FET.

11. ruger9

I think the new ones are a hybrid of both:

"The final result was Tube Logic – a marriage of solid-state analog technology and DSP that goes way beyond modelling, and enables the creation of amplifiers that exhibit the precise behaviour and tone of a vintage tube amplifier using modern, reliable, lightweight technology."

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/the-roland-blues-cube-range-explained

Anderton's went out of their way to explain the BCs are NOT "digital".... but of course they could be wrong... it would be weird, since everything they know about the BC is what the Roland rep told them...

12. KnopflerStyle

You ve written 6 post with no Blackstar new amp content, only andertons, tube and kemper stuff.

Respect others interest and discussion.

13. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Well, they look cool as beans. And as I get older, my grab and go is different than what it used to be. Now, I think a grab and go has to be featherweight. So I was toying w/ picking up a used Katana 50, which seem to be going around $200. But now I'll have to look at these.

14. JimF

JimF NEW MEMBER!

I pretty much agree with GG (I think).

Tube amps are great for recording and for my soul.
    SS/Modeling amps are great for gigging and for my back.

Jim "another new guy" Feeley

ruger9 likes this.
  15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

There are now a lot of great tube amps made in China and plenty of techs who will work on them. Don't make false statements to prove your point. It makes you look foolish.

16. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

The thread is about digital amps. I know at least 5 techs in my area who will work on tube imported amps IF they are built to a standard that allows parts to be unsoldered and replaced on a circuit board. Not all import tube amps fall into that category. Some do. Some are built with boards that are so cheesy that the solder traces disintegrate when you heat them.
    Digital amps are built like computers, many amp techs avoid them if they can because of the complexity and the difficulty in getting chips and boards. You don't repair them like you do a tube amp. You pull a board and replace it if a component fails. A lot of the digital Chinese amps are designed to be throw away products, meaning the parts aren't available EVEN IF you can find someone who will try to repair them. Don't believe me? Ask your tech how easy it would be to get parts for one.

I don't need to make "false statements to prove my point". I find your response rude and ill informed.

nick0 and ruger9 like this.
  17. KnopflerStyle

Here are some tones....

18. ruger9

Mike Stern used Blues Cube Artists exclusively on his album "Trip".

19. KnopflerStyle

Marketing i guess....

Or not...

20. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

I found the feature set of the Blackstar Silverline to be intriguing. It spurred my interest in several of their amps, but after listening to a lot of clips, their amps seem to be voiced in a way that seems a little piercing. I first heard it on the Anderton's video, but it was something that I kept hearing. They sound good with some distortion in the signal, but the clean tone didn't sound as pleasing to me as the Tone Master amps, which are tempting me, although my long time plan, being amp-less, has been to build a JRM-45 clone. So, yes, I'm confused.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.