New here, new tele.

SedanDelivery22

NEW MEMBER!
Hi. I just bought a tele. It's a Fender American Vintage '52 modded with an '84 Rosewood neck, a Fralin P92. I think there are some other mods too.

I love it. Tone is amazing. I've been playing guitar for decades, primarily acoustic. Well this is my first tele and wow I see why people love em and what I've been listening to on some of my favorite records. (Stones, Zeppelin, Springsteen, Prince -- ahhh).

One downside is -- I find it hard to play as in-tune as I would like -- I think this is because as an acoustic player I'm used to pressing down *hard* with my left hand. And if I do that now it goes out, especially on F chords or other open chords near the nut. So I'm trying to use a lighter touch on my left hand.

Any tips on staying/playing in tune? Am I right in this diagnosis -- that is -- don't press down so hard? (I'm imagining some might think the Tremolo/bridge is the culprit but that mechanism feels pretty solid, I don't think it's throwing it out any).

Anyway just wanted to say hi and let you ooh and ah over my new guitar haha :)

Attachments

• tele.jpeg
    tele.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 93

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Welcome, SedanDelivery22.

One thing not mentioned was the gauge of your strings, both on the Tele and your acoustics.

I'm a fan of light strings, like 9.5's thru 42's.
If I put even lighter strings on, say 8's, everything I grab goes sharp.
It requires an exceptionally light touch in order to play, which can be maddening.

Are the strings on your acoustics the 'standard' Medium Gauge?
If so, those are pretty much 12's or thereabouts.
Lots of pressing involved.

As others have said, you must either lighten up your touch when you play your Tele,
OR,
put heavier strings on the Tele.
:)

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Agree with Sparky2 @ 9.5 strings. Best idea ever. Easier to bend than 10s, not as flimsy as 9s, the Goldilocks gage for me.

Teles generally stay in tune well, but since you have a bunch of $$$ invested already, you might consider swapping your tuners out for lockers. I have used Fender, Gotoh, and Sperzel, and the Sperzel is my pick of the litter. Also makes changing strings a breeze.

SedanDelivery22

NEW MEMBER!
Thanks for the good words and suggestions. I think they are Fender locking tuners. But I didn't string it. Seller did. They weren't wrapped much/well, and weather fluctuations were happening. Yanked it out of the box and started playing. Hoping better wrapped and maybe heavier gauge and lighter touch will solve it.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
10’s or 11’s work well on a Telecaster unless you want to bend strings across the neck. As an acoustic player, probably not, right. Decide in your string gauge for electric and check that the nut is cut deep enough. Have a qualified tech do that if you don’t have the tools or skill. Then play for another month or two before making any other changes.

One more thing to bear in mind is that setup is seasonal. Temperature and humidity changes affect action and relief. Intonation issues may be nothing more than dryness raising your action by changing the relief.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I play both acoustic and electric. My Tele is easier for me to play, because my acoustic is a budget $300 Washburn. Your dilemma could be as simple as technique. I play 10-46s on the Tele, because they just sound more beefy thru the amp.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welcome aboard, and congrats on the sweet Tele. One suggestion: try practicing for 5 minutes a day: Play scales or chromatic runs, nice and slow, concentrate on using just barely enough pressure to sound each note cleanly, but not more. Do the same for a couple chord progressions, also nice and slow. This should help you get accustomed to the difference and ease up on the gorilla grip.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
🤠
Howdy and Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas!

I agree with the other guys that said put some heavier strings on your guitar…btw, that’s a really cool guitar!