New here, have some q's about Texas Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fenderrookie, Jul 13, 2005.

1. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

Hey all.......... I have been mostly playing the other Fender for a while. I tried a AV 52 about four years ago and just could not get the neck. I have an '03 Hwy 1 Texas Tele on the way. I do plan on getting the AVn-48 Kinmans for it down the road. I got this one for the neck. How is the quality of the tuners, pots and bridge?
    Are there any flaws or issues I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

2. shines

shines TDPRI Member

texas tele

congratulations! i have a blond Tex myself. The neck as you say is the best. Tuners on the Tex are the same as the 52 reisssue. pots are CTS, switch is the same as a reissue also.
    i have had mine over a year, no hardware problems. I put a Jason Lollar in the neck and a Van Zandt in the bridge and I love the tone. Many people still have no clue about this model including almost all sales people in the stores. If you want ash body with a super comfy 12" radius and medium jumbos this guitar is the fix. I also put a Callaham off white guard on mine and buffed out the finish so it shines. Simply a great guitar for a great price. I have had at least 3 52 reissues none ever made the final cut like Tex. Enjoy.

3. fenderrookie

4. fenderrookie

shines,

What did you use to buff the finish? Has it kept the gloss sheen?

5. txspreacher

txspreacher Friend of Leo's

6. shines

shines TDPRI Member

texas tele shine

3M Perfect It II rubbing compound lightly applied and finished it with 3M Finesse it II polish. I might have put some Mothers wax to finish it off i cannot rememer , but yes it kept the shine.

7. Tmullen

Tmullen Tele-Meister

Tex Tele

I didn't know they made a Hwy 1 Tex Tele. I've seen the Texas Tele in Musicians Friend, Music 123 etc, but never a Hwy 1 Tex Tele. I played a regular Texas tele(with the tex-mex pickup in the middle) today, and it was ok, but the neck just didn't feel smooth, and the action wadn't all that good. Where do you find the Hwy 1 Tex Tele.
    I have a Hwy 1 Strat that plays like a dream! love it!
    ps- I like that pickgaurd.

Terry

8. fenderrookie

I just found this one for sale from a guy on "the other" forum. I have allways liked Teles and have has a Burton standard, a MINT 98 52ri, a 72 thinline ri, and a top-loader mim standard. I just could not keep the vibe with them. I really liked the 52, bot the vintage frets and nitro neck killed me. I played one of the Texas Teles a while back and loved it. Flat 52 neck, good pups, I just wish the finish was at least 1/2 way to a brilliant sheen. I buffed it with my orbital waxing buffer and normal wax and it helped a lot. I need to disasemble and buff it out.
    These are great, I was thinking of putting Kinman 48's in it but I now have it dialed in, so I think the Texas Tele pups are here for good. Anyone know if this is shielded? It does not look like it, but these pups are very quiet in all positions.

9. fenderrookie

I forgot.....thanks I like the Tortoise also. I was going to change it, but its growing on me.

10. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

fenderrookie, how does it compare sonically or otherwise to the JB standard??
    The pups should be the same, but a different type of wood for the body. The JB has a great neck(chunky), how bout the Tex Highway??
    Cheers, MM

11. garcia

garcia Tele-Holic

That is a great looking Tele! The tortoise guard works really well with that body color. BTW, is that the same bridge that Fender uses on the 52' RI, or is it the "Ping" bridge with brass saddles?

12. fenderrookie

Monkey Man,
    Sonicaly, it seems more alive, if that makes sense. The JB had the CAR poly finish and I know it was about 1/16 inch thick due to one chip. The TT neck is nowhere near the Burton neck. That neck was like a baseball bat at the first fret then tappered down to a "normal" neck around the 12th. The TT neck seems a lot like the 52ri, nice C back. Seems very similar to my 60's VP Strat, has the 12" board, rounded edges. This neck is the first I have had that has the rounded edge board makes it feel like that favorite old t-shirt.
    Garcia,
    I think it is the Ping. It is not marked like the 52ri, but, I was told this bridge assembly is same as used on the AV52. I am planning on going Callaham in the future.

13. fenderrookie

Monkey Man

I forgot the mention, the pups are completely different. The James Burton ate Texas Specials with staggered ploes on bridge The TT has flush ploes on bridge pup. I have been told these are hotter wound 50/60 pups, especially for the Texas Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.