New here, buying son a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spini, Nov 12, 2014.

1. spini

spini TDPRI Member

I am looking at buying my 13 year old son a new Telecaster. I was looking at the MIM Deluxe Nashville Telecaster. He plays drums, Bass and guitar. He has a Squire SE Strat and wants a Telecaster. He likes to play country (Marty Stuart, Cousin Kenney style) and 80s rock (not metal). He has a Yamaha Acoustic red label 1972 FG180, Epiphone Viola Bass, Ibenez Bass and the 2012 Squire SE Stratocaster. He has stated he would like to start working up to USA but would be OK with a MIM Telecaster. He has saved money and will help pay for it as he has done with all the others.

His guitar teacher has told him to start getting away from the china guitars. I cant afford a USA Fender, or a USA Les Paul (he wants one of those too, but I think its more of a Hey I got a Les Paul thing) I'm not buying him a Les Paul!

So I would like to help him get a MIM Telecaster, is the Nashville edition a good guitar for hillbilly rock and 80s non metal rock? Is it a good style Telecaster or are others better (MIM)?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Are you talking new or used? What is your/his budget? The Nashville is a cool model. Is there a guitar store nearby where he can compare models? Most people will recommend playing several until he finds the one. This is good advice. Good luck.

3. RedTele58

RedTele58 Tele-Meister

Brian - the Nashville Deluxe is a great guitar. It's one of the higher end MIM guitars and will be a great Tele for your son to grow his musical career with.

Good luck - have fun!

Rick

4. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you got a cool kid.

Mine wants a Flying V!!

The Nashville is great for a Tele-meets-strat kinda feel. The downside is you can't select the bridge pickup and neck pickup together in stock form.

Of course many of us here can help with modding advice, should you ever choose to go that route. Some time ago I had a Deluxe 'Blackout' that had the three pickup setup. I added a push pull pot to add the bridge+neck selection and I literally had more tones than I knew what to do with.

These days I'm sticking to the more traditional two pickup teles.

Please do update us when you make the purchase! I was very proud the day my 12 year old brother called me asking for help in picking out an electric guitar. I proudly pointed him to a Tele :)

5. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

I've been moving toward the china guitars. They keep getting better.

The time to stay away from the china guitars was in the 90's and before. Even then a guy with intermediate tech and handiwork can make em work pretty good. Well, not all of em.

6. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

I would search Craigslist for a nice used USA standard Telecaster. Can usually be had between $600 and $700.

7. DavideBassista

DavideBassista Tele-Meister

I'd buy a used American too.

8. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Used american is okay, if you like the 6 saddle bridge.

Think about the Baja tele. That's a good one. Can't go wrong with the Nashville either.

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Fender classic 60s is MIM, and a guitar for the money.

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

It's quite possible the guitar teacher would revise his view about China guitars
    if your son showed up with a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster.

definitely worth checking out in a shop.

11. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I'm not hawking for the seller but there's a used Baja in the TDPRI classifieds. Might give that a look. The neck profile is hefty but not gargantuan... Depends upon your son's size. The Baja has a lot tone options. Just a thought ....

12. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

American Special, under $900 new and no six saddle bridge.

farmcaster likes this.
  13. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If he has a Strat already, at least for me, the appeal of the Nashville goes down. It's a versatile guitar, but you give up a classic Tele sound (both pickups) in exchange for the Strat-like sounds with the middle pickup, which he already has. (Yes, I know it's possible to mod the Nashville so the middle position is the same as standard, but, seems unnecessary in this case.)

I'd just get a MIM Standard. Good guitars, tons of upgrades available. Used prices around here are $300 +/-, depending on condition, case/bag, etc. New is not much more, and then you get to pick color, etc., but I'd just go grab a used one that is in good condition. Leave it as is, and then it's a good backup or trade-up candidate if he falls for the Tele (like some here have :)).

P.S. After settling on the Tele, consider having him set his sights and earnings on a used Gibson Les Paul Studio. Lots of those around, and they've got the sound (and USA name) without the $2K+ hickey a new Standard will give you.

14. spini

spini TDPRI Member

Thanks all, other than the USA folks working and so called work conditions in China, I have no problem with the actual guitars from there. His 2012 Squire SE Strat is a nice guitar.

From what I was reading last night, I was wondering if the Nashville would be the one or not since he has a strat. Like stated above, maybe we would lose the classic Tele sound. Its that sound we are after, so we will take a look at the standard and other models as well. I am going to be looking at ebay for used as well. Being a kid he thinks he needs new, but I'm sure he would be happy with a nice used American or MIM. We are driving to the city on Saturday and they have a GC we will stop by to play a few.

When we bought his Strat there were some that had different body thickness or necks and other stuff. Models like the SE, Bullet, Infinity, Standard. Some were better for mods later, some, folks said stay away from. Does that apply to the Telecaster? That's how we settled on a very lightly used SE, it still had all the plastic covering on the pick guards and tuners. It has the full thickness body and is a nice guitar for how little we paid for it.

His goal is to save $300.00 and I will match that and maybe a hair more if we find something we have to have. It will be after Christmas when we buy something. He doesn't know but I'm buying him a nice amp for Christmas, he plays on a tiny cube amp now. I found a American made (1995-1999) Peavey Bandit 112 Sheffeild (silver stripe) Transtube 80watt. Hope he likes it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

15. DannyStereo

Yeah for $600 you can find him a pretty dang good tele

16. DannyStereo

+1000

I absolutely love mine. Maybe even more so than my MIM FSR

17. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Look at a Baja, they're MIM and are possibly as good as any Telecaster available. Good luck guys.

18. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

+1. Should be able to find USA or Japan tele for that price. Tell your son that one of those models will only increase in value and is worthy to pass down to his son someday. $600 should buy you a highway 1 or MIJ tele off eBay easily.

19. yardleyboy

yardleyboy Tele-Meister

Baja's neck could be way too big for a 13 year old

20. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

On the contrary, if you get him addicted to that neck now, he won't ever play anything but vintage spec teles which is what all of you want, ADMIT IT!!!!:p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.