1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New here and need guidance

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by frankr2994, Dec 12, 2020.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome. That is an interesting piece. I am sure someone can recommend someone to get it working.

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1 to this. It's in pretty awesome shape for being original. I would only make it playable and otherwise leave it as-is. You're going to seriously devalue it and kill its mojo trying to make it "new" again with a refinish/restoration.

Edit: because you know the entire history of this guitar that has potential to make it even more valuable should you ever (God forbid) have to sell it.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  3. frankr2994

frankr2994 TDPRI Member

I really appreciate the info everyone. I really wasn't expecting the welcome section the blow up like this lol. I'm in Pittsburgh so I'm sure I can find the expert I need. I do have electrical contact cleaner and I briefly looked over the solder joints but I've seen cracked joints on boards only visible under a microscope that had caused total failure.

paulblackford likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, don’t refinish that.

If the electronics don’t work, that’s an issue. Where are you in PA? We can help you find a guitar tech who will get it working and help you lose as little originality as possible in the process. That’s the way to go with one of these.

Henley likes this.
  5. frankr2994

frankr2994 TDPRI Member

Pittsburgh

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Definitely do not "restore" it. I know that's a common tack to take with old cars, but in other worlds (guitars, guns) "refinishing" significantly lowers value. Plus, it looks amazing as-is and just oozes character. That natural forearm wear on the body is just amazing. People pay good money to have that faked on new guitars.

Get the electronics looked at, have a quality set-up done on it, and then just enjoy it.

7. frankr2994

frankr2994 TDPRI Member

I actually just convinced a customer to let me find a used numbers matching head for a 327 corvette. Bad news is the replacement head leaks coolant out from around valve seats someone installed years ago. Not repairable so off to find another 65 head. Oh the fun of staying original

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

By all means but do your research and make sure you use a real deal tech who has a strong background and reputation working on vintage instruments. You wouldn't believe how picky these collectors can be. I actually had one ding me over a redone solder joint at the output jack that wasn't as neatly done as he would like. There are lots of so called techs out there who while being capable of doing the common tasks are also capable of screwing up the value of your vintage guitar.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Henley likes this.
  9. frankr2994

frankr2994 TDPRI Member

Oh one other question. My mother had in re strung about 20 years ago. This was 3 years prior to the water damage. At that time the guy at the guitar shop told her these smaller guitars weren't worth much and offered her 100 bucks. She obviously didn't take it but we're these things worth alot 20 years ago or was that guy just trying to scam her?

10. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

I agree with everyone else. Get it cleaned up but do not change a thing. It is a rare Fender with sentimental value within your family and monetary value outside of your family for collectors. It is your guitar and your call but I would suggest you find another guitar for your son to learn on and then when he is older (assuming he is young now), let him play the vintage Duo Sonic when he understands its significance in your family. Good luck and welcome.

11. frankr2994

frankr2994 TDPRI Member

And on that note my solder repairs over the years have been just that...repairs. I needed to get a circuit working and never cared much about looks just that I didn't want to short it to a near by circuit. I'll let someone with more experience do it l. At my shop we call ourselves 5 percenters. Typically someone will ask us to build something on a car or build a car. Our numbers are too high so we will see the car after another shop did the work. We have to figure out the last 5 percent of the job to actually make it look and work right. My favorite though is when it's all so wrong we have to completely re do it.

Beachbum likes this.
  12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

misposted

13. frankr2994

frankr2994 TDPRI Member

Had the talk with the wife moments ago we will get it fixed and hang it on his wall and buy him a new guitar. He's 8 right now.

14. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

In museums, vintage musical instruments are played regularly to keep them in good condition. They tend to suffer if not played.

Do you have a friend that could play it occasionally?

15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

misposted again

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Henley likes this.
  16. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I think that was probably a fair price back then. These were lower level "student" guitars when originally made, after all. But recently, they have taken off in value.

17. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

...and more valuable.

So in 2000 a woman brings a all original 1963 Fender Duo Sonic, sans the water damage, to get new strings,. and the guy offers her $100 cause he thought it was a fair price. Ha.

18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Given your backstory, unless you're a wiz with woodworking, I'd suggest you research and go to a trusted guitar tech/shop in your area. That guitar should have decent value - don't risk that value if you are a rookie.

19. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Nobody has asked yet, and it just occurred to me... is there a '63 Champ or Princeton amp in the picture?

68Telebass likes this.
  20. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

@frankr2994 Thank Goodness we saved you from “restoring” that AWESOME original guitar. That color with that red tortoise shell pickguard is divine!!
    Oh, welcome aboard!!
    Grab the son THIS!!
    upload_2020-12-12_22-34-19.png
    a 3/4 size guitar should be great for an 8 year old. This is NOT a toy guitar, but a great place to start- looks cool as well!! Get the fret ends cleaned up a bit, and the guitar set up at the local shop.. he will be a all set, and will maybe grow into that Duo Sonic!!
    C-Note;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Henley, SRHmusic and Festofish like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.