New hearing aids… I hate them!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yes, a sound bar doesn't help either.
I bought wireless headphones... trouble is they have too much latency, unless you like slapback watching tv!
I made some "mickey mouse ears" out of a plastic cup. They look funny as heck, but man they improve the TV sound remarkably! I did it because I would cup my hand behind my ear when watching and noted how much it improved things.
Someone should make clip on MM ears!
These actually worked I guess!
I agree on the sound bars. I tried three (progressively more expensive) and they did nothing to help. As I've mentioned before, it's often NOT the volume or lack of that makes understanding difficult.....it's the "frequency". There are frequent days that I don't even put in my aids until evening, for watching TV.
I'd love to see those Mickey Mouse ears you made......bet they're good for a giggle! ;)

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I agree on the sound bars. I tried three (progressively more expensive) and they did nothing to help. As I've mentioned before, it's often NOT the volume or lack of that makes understanding difficult.....it's the "frequency". There are frequent days that I don't even put in my aids until evening, for watching TV.
I'd love to see those Mickey Mouse ears you made......bet they're good for a giggle! ;)
The interesting thing is they seem to add crisp higher freq's too.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I imagine it is a lot like transition lens glasses....you just have to get used to them.

I remember the first pair of transition lenses I got, I was so excited about finally being able see clearly again, but when I put them on and tried to walk out of the store, I fell over the chairs. I couldn't see a damn thing and told them they must have screwed up the prescription or gave me the wrong glasses, but they insisted that I would adjust.

It took me the better part of the week, but now it is just natural and my vision is clear.

Like glasses, the secret is probably to keep using them so that you adjust. If you get discouraged and only use them occassionally, that transition only takes longer.

You have my sympathy, my hearing is still good, but I do understand such transitions well with so many other things failing me these days.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My golfing buddy got a cheap set, and I tried them. I mentioned before everything sounds like it is coming through one of those little transistor radios you could carry in your pocket from the 60's. Then one of them quit. So, he bought a better pair, and then he lost one of those, so now he says people are going to have to talk louder, because I can't keep up with the damned things. I saw a guy the other day who bought a good pair, then lost one of 'em. I don't know at this point, maybe I'll just do like my buddy and say SPEAK UP, a little more often.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My golfing buddy got a cheap set, and I tried them. I mentioned before everything sounds like it is coming through one of those little transistor radios you could carry in your pocket from the 60's. Then one of them quit. So, he bought a better pair, and then he lost one of those, so now he says people are going to have to talk louder, because I can't keep up with the damned things. I saw a guy the other day who bought a good pair, then lost one of 'em. I don't know at this point, maybe I'll just do like my buddy and say SPEAK UP, a little more often.
Although as with most things, the more you pay the better the results, even the best hearing aids don't sound "High Fidelity".......they're not supposed to. Most hearing loss is in the higher frequencies, so that's what they emphasize. So yes, they do sound a little like a transistor radio. You just have to get accustomed to 'em.
As to losing them, you can get "loss protection". My mom lost two of hers (at different times) and Miracle Ear covered them, with a substantial co-pay/deductible, of course. Still much cheaper than paying full price.
And, as I said before, don't ask people to "speak louder"......ask them to "slow down and enunciate better". The people I have the most trouble with are the young whipper-snappers who try to talk a mile-a-minute.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Although as with most things, the more you pay the better the results, even the best hearing aids don't sound "High Fidelity".......they're not supposed to. Most hearing loss is in the higher frequencies, so that's what they emphasize. So yes, they do sound a little like a transistor radio. You just have to get accustomed to 'em.
As to losing them, you can get "loss protection". My mom lost two of hers (at different times) and Miracle Ear covered them, with a substantial co-pay/deductible, of course. Still much cheaper than paying full price.
And, as I said before, don't ask people to "speak louder"......ask them to "slow down and enunciate better". The people I have the most trouble with are the young whipper-snappers who try to talk a mile-a-minute.

I was as usual being a tad facetious with the speak louder comment. I know exactly what you mean about young speak, I don't understand a word of it. My wife loves watching the news, I tune out, and at the first opportunity sneak in here to my computer. Since I'm on YouTubeTV, I can watch tv, or get on the net from my computer. The news people most of them, are so excited and in such a hurry to blurt out whatever it that is on their minds, I don't get any of it, and just slide away. Many folks I understand just fine in person, it's certain voice types that I have a problem with. I suppose it's the pitch, and or frequency of their voice. Proximity has a lot to do with it to. The further I get from the sound source, the worse off I am.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Many folks I understand just fine in person, it's certain voice types that I have a problem with. I suppose it's the pitch, and or frequency of their voice. Proximity has a lot to do with it to. The further I get from the sound source, the worse off I am.
This is not atypical with some kinds of hearing loss. It's a combination of not hearing certain frequencies as well and inability to "discriminate", particularly in noisier environments. My right ear is the poster child for that...significant notches in frequency response pretty much make it impossible to understand speech at all without assistance/correction.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Timely post.....I received mine about a week ago. Yes, they are disorienting at first. Mine were set initially at 70%, and the audiologist said we'll "up" that as I acclimate. However, my issue was, I had a choice for either battery or rechargeable. My first instinct was rechargeable, right? No batteries to deal with makes it simpler. However.....I found the rechargeable weren't staying charged for up to sixteen hours as touted. I took them back on Monday, and am exchanging for battery powered. I can always carry a couple spare batteries in my pocket should they die.
My MAIN reason for getting aids is understanding TV shows. I can have TV volume up full blast, and still not comprehend my favored PBS/BBC shows. With the aids, I can have the TV HALFWAY up, and understand 95% of the dialog. It does take getting used to when I walk across my hardwood floors.....sounds like a herd of horses. With my Medicare Advantage insurance, my copay was $1750 for both. NOT cheap, (at least to me) but if they last a good while, it will be worth it. They had to send mine in first to make the trade, and I actually miss them. I have not tried playing with a band with them yet, I'll probably turn them way down or just taking them out.....we'll see. Good luck, I bet they get better. :)
Wow, sounds like Mediare Disadvantage!